Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Addi lace needles - turn fingers black?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  1:21:03 PM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked about this on one of the lace needle threads, and no one commented about it, so I thought I'd give it its own thread.

My Addi lace needles are turning my fingers black. Am I the only one this happens to? I love these Addi lace needles, but the more I knit with them, the more they're turning my fingers black! I'm afraid to use them with light-color yarn for fear it'll turn the yarn black, too.

Anyone else? Is it the brass? What's wrong with me??

Melissa
My blog:Tia Knits

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  8:54:58 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not having any problems with mine. Could you check with the company? Is it possible you are allergic to the brass? Hope you can figure it out. I love my lace needles.
Barb in AZ
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  01:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They don't turn my fingers black, but my fingers turn the needles black. Same with KnitPicks.

Come visit my blog...
http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alunissage
Chatty Knitter

129 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  02:06:51 AM  Show Profile Send Alunissage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard just a couple days ago from a LYSO or employee that some people were having trouble with the acidity of their hands marring the finish of their Addis. So it seems to be a frequent enough problem to be known, at least.
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  07:45:35 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could it be due to sweaty fingers? I noticed this when I do cross-stitch. I turn the yarn black. Ha ha.
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  11:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have made 4 pair of socks with the same two addi lace needles and not had any discoloration, or any other problems. I love these needles! The tips are so perfect that I can knit at the movie theater. Sarah.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  12:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had no problems with my Addi lace needles but a lady came into the shop who had been lucky enough to buy hers from the early shipment Skacel received and the tips had turned black. We didn't discuss it but we are in a humid climate and she was working on her first lace project so my guess is acidity in sweat.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  1:00:35 PM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oddly, when I first started using them, I didn't have this problem. But the more I use them, the more I notice it. Don't get me wrong, my hands don't look like they have coal on them or anything! But I do notice a bit of black on my fingers where they've touched the needles. My hands don't seem to be sweaty at all. The needles themselves are not black. Just my fingers.

I guess maybe it's something in my skin oils, and there may not be anything I can do about it. It's certainly not enough to make me give up these needles, which I happen to love, love, love! I will be doing a test swatch with any light-colored yarns, though, to make sure I don't turn them black while I knit.

Melissa
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  1:28:59 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have this problem and I know the cause. It is an allergy to the nickel which is the coating on the addi needles. You will also have the same problem with any other brand of nickel plated needles including sewing needles.

More than likely you turn green or brown from certain pieces of jewelry also and/or have problems with some pierced earrings, perhaps even those advertised as stainless steel posts. Some stainless earring posts contain a little nickel. Others do not.

Wiping the needles with alcohol after using will help to delay the deterioration, but if you continue to use the needles they will eventually roughen and get pitted. I have found a substitute in the hiya hiya needles which are stainless steel. They are not yet available in all sizes but more are coming out all the time. They do have a slightly different tip which I like better than the addi tip. I have had no problems in knitting lace with them. They are available over the internet and I suggest that you google for them as more shops are handling them all the time.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

calmmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

533 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  09:50:17 AM  Show Profile Send calmmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great response, Fran! I've had friends who couldn't wear watches for this reason, or pierced earrings. But, I was wondering, I remembered that you invested in a lot of Addi's a few years back - are you not able to use them?
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  10:09:38 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still use them for short periods and then clean them with alcohol after use. They don't bother my fingers that way but the needles are are discolored and becoming pitted. I now have 5 circular Hiya Hiya needles and use them whenever I can. I am going through an exacerbation of my lupus and cannot knit at all right now. Some days my fingers are too weak to click the mouse. I'm either going slowly nuts or totally stupid from the pain meds.

fran

Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  4:33:28 PM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is an interesting theory about the needles, but for the fact that the lace ones aren't nickel plated. They're brass. Does it do the same thing? Obviously, I don't know :)

I'll have to check out the Hiya Hiya needles. For now, the blackening isn't bad enough to make me stop using them. I was just curious if this was some strange anomaly with the needles, or if it's just me. Seems like it's just me and a few other people. Just my luck!

Melissa
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  7:16:30 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brass is any alloy of copper and zinc. Yes they do the same thing but there is no way I can tell if it is the copper or the zinc that is bothering you. Brass bracelets cause discoloration on almost everyone who wears them. They are a popular fad in arthritis.

fran

Go to Top of Page

yarnfloozie
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  1:36:10 PM  Show Profile Send yarnfloozie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Skacel, they were aware of a potential problem--they have changed the coating. If you're having problems, by all means, get them exchanged. If your LYS won't, contact Skacel directly. addis have a lifetime warrenty, and they mean it!!
Go to Top of Page

Karin Skacel
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  2:07:11 PM  Show Profile Send Karin Skacel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. It's great to hear so many of you are using our needles. Thank you! Let me address this "black needle/finger" syndrome. We were not aware of any "potential problems" when we introduced the addi Lace needles. Had there been any, we would have solved these problems before actually delivering the product to the end-user. The last thing we want is to (pardon the pun) "tarnish" our reputation. There have been some knitters whose fingers and or needles have discolored when using the new addi Lace needles. We have tried to determine what causes this, but have not been able to duplicate the results ourselves. The percentage of knitters who this actually affects is very small - yet they do exist and we want to prevent it from happening. So, yes, it is true that the finishing process on the addi Lace needles has changed since we introduced them to the market. It does not affect the way they knit and we are hoping that this change will take care of the discoloration some of you are experiencing. If you do have a pair that is interacting with your hands, please return them to where you purchased them for an exchange. As long as you keep the original packaging, they have a lifetime warranty. While I'm chatting, I may as well clarify some rumors about new sizes in the Lace needles. Yes, we are working on the US 7, 8 and 9. All the preliminary design work has been completed and we hope to introduce them by year's end.
Happy Knitting!
Karin
Go to Top of Page

babritt
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  8:38:39 PM  Show Profile Send babritt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just began working on the Mystery Shawl 3 and am using a beautiful white lace yarn. I was so excited to actually begin using my new Addi lace needles and much to my dismay by row 20 my lace was turning green. The interesting thing is that my hands were not discolored at all.

I plan to return these needles and am hoping the team at Skacel can find a solution to this issue. I truely believe it is tied somehow to the manufacturing process. I have a large inventory of the other Addi needles and and they are wonderful needles.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  10:24:53 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, mine don't turn my fingers any colors. It must be a unique body chemistry thing, you know? It seems, though, that excellent Addi customer service has struck again; thanks, Karin!
Go to Top of Page

Pink Knittiac
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  11:24:02 PM  Show Profile Send Pink Knittiac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THank you, Karin, for the prompt and concerned response. It's so nice to know that your company listens to its users.

One question that I have, though, is about returning needles that were mail-ordered and which would of course require the additional cost of return postage. And also, of course, I didn't think to keep the original packaging. Live and learn.... Sorry to hear of the problem with the finish; the shape and cable and the joins are perfect. Thanks again for the response.

Nerak
Go to Top of Page

knitting mom
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  11:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitting mom's Homepage Send knitting mom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All 3 sets of my Addi Lace needles are in various states of tarnishing. I don't feel it has anything to do with body chemistry, but rather just the resin coating wearing off with use and the natural tarnishing of polished brass occurring.

I have *never* had sweaty hands while knitting. I do not have metal allergies or any skin reactions to metal. However, I have put my Lace needles to use frequently since I purchased them (several shawls and scarves). Those that I have used the most and that have experienced the most friction from yarn and hands, are the darkest. They also have a noticable odor of brass. I feel that the resin coating simply wore off from normal and frequent use, and the brass is tarnishing.

I love the points of these needles and the cords. I surely hope the new resin coating has solved the problem. I emailed Skacel about my problem last Friday and am waiting to hear back from them. I hesitate to return them to the yarn shops where I purchased them since I don't know if they have new needles with the new coating or the old coating. Is there a way to tell on the packaging or on the needle if it has the old or new resin coating?

Happy Knitting!

Shelly in OK

http://www.knittingandpraying.com
Go to Top of Page

Judy Schmitz
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  10:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Judy Schmitz's Homepage Send Judy Schmitz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All! We have had one or two knitters react with the brass on the lace tips - keep in mind that even if you purchase on the web, you are entitled to an exchange - and yes, there may be additional postage - but most online shops should cover that if you are having an issue - we certainly do!

http://www.fabulousyarn.com/needles_addi_knitting_needles.shtml

Go to Top of Page

Eyenitsox
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2013 :  07:55:40 AM  Show Profile Send Eyenitsox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a very old thread, but I would like to add my two cents. I totally agree with Knitting Mom's post of 7/16/2007. My Lace Addis were fine for maybe a year, then they started tarnishing. At first I couldn't figure out why my white yarn and fingers were turning black, then I polished the needles with brass polisher; tons of black tarnish came off, and they were clean and shiny again. I now have to polish all my lace addi's frequently. Apparently the resin coating wears off with use.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.6 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe