Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Fiber Sources and Discussion
 Good price on undyed BFL roving???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boulderbliss
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  07:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit boulderbliss's Homepage Send boulderbliss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking to buy a 25+ pound bump of BFL roving and am looking for the lowest price. Anyone have any sources?

Thanks!!

http://poppyflowerfibr.livejournal.com
http://poppyflowerfibers.etsy.com

eepster
Seriously Hooked

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  9:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit eepster's Homepage Send eepster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you sure you want 25 pounds and not 25 ounces? Thats alot of fiber like 7 or 8 sheeps worth.



Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/buddhabellyart
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  05:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Email me
I give deals on full bumps. I have 4 coming in this week. I think they're around 20 lbs but I'll weigh them before I ship to be sure.

amy
http://www.spunkyeclectic.com/wp
http://www.spunkyeclectic.com
Go to Top of Page

boulderbliss
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  05:37:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit boulderbliss's Homepage Send boulderbliss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eepster

Are you sure you want 25 pounds and not 25 ounces? Thats alot of fiber like 7 or 8 sheeps worth.



Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/buddhabellyart



I'm sure. That's how I buy my roving. In bumps of 25 pounds or more.

http://poppyflowerfibr.livejournal.com
http://poppyflowerfibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

boulderbliss
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  05:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit boulderbliss's Homepage Send boulderbliss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie

Email me
I give deals on full bumps. I have 4 coming in this week. I think they're around 20 lbs but I'll weigh them before I ship to be sure.

amy
http://www.spunkyeclectic.com/wp
http://www.spunkyeclectic.com



Thanks, Amy!! I ended up ordering a 27 pound bump of Merino, so I'm going to wait until I get through that first.

Last week I received 6 pounds of BFL and it's just not the same as when I ordered it last (not from you). I'm sure the roving changes based on the fleece, but I would hate to get a full bump of what I got last week. Any opinions on this? Have you had any issues with consistency in BFL?

http://poppyflowerfibr.livejournal.com
http://poppyflowerfibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  07:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't speak for the consistency of commercial BFL - but I can say that fleeces vary from one animal to the next, even in the same herd and the same breed. So it stands to reason that commercial preparations would also vary.

Out of curiosity: How long does it take you to get through 25 pound of roving? Just wondering because I've been spinning for nearly two years, almost daily, and I don't think I've gone through that amount yet...

Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

boulderbliss
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  08:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit boulderbliss's Homepage Send boulderbliss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kade1301

I can't speak for the consistency of commercial BFL - but I can say that fleeces vary from one animal to the next, even in the same herd and the same breed. So it stands to reason that commercial preparations would also vary.

Out of curiosity: How long does it take you to get through 25 pound of roving? Just wondering because I've been spinning for nearly two years, almost daily, and I don't think I've gone through that amount yet...

Klara

http://www.lahottee.info



It depends...I dye and sell, besides spin, and have just ordered a drum carder as well so I go through a *lot* of fiber. 25 lbs might last me 3 weeks to a month, depending on how productive I am.

http://poppyflowerfibr.livejournal.com
http://poppyflowerfibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eepster
Seriously Hooked

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  08:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit eepster's Homepage Send eepster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boulderbliss


I'm sure. That's how I buy my roving. In bumps of 25 pounds or more.

http://poppyflowerfibr.livejournal.com
http://poppyflowerfibers.etsy.com



Now I'm laughing at myself for not clicking on your link and realizing that you have about 25 lbs of dyed little listed in your store right now.



Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/buddhabellyart
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  4:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just had a look at your Etsy store - lovely looking fibre!

A thought about the BFL - although I have never seen, or felt, the wool from this particular breed I was thinking that maybe the 6 lb amount came from one particular animal. The 25 lb bumps would be a homogenised mix of several animals in which the individual characteristics would be lost (for good or ill) and would therefore be more consistent.

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

boulderbliss
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  5:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit boulderbliss's Homepage Send boulderbliss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KathyR

Just had a look at your Etsy store - lovely looking fibre!

A thought about the BFL - although I have never seen, or felt, the wool from this particular breed I was thinking that maybe the 6 lb amount came from one particular animal. The 25 lb bumps would be a homogenised mix of several animals in which the individual characteristics would be lost (for good or ill) and would therefore be more consistent.

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
My Blog



Good thought, but the 6 pounds was purchased from a person who pulled it off a larger 20+ pound bump. I purchased from the same person a month ago and the BFL was so much nicer then. Oh, well...

http://poppyflowerfibr.livejournal.com
http://poppyflowerfibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jimbobspins
Gabber Extraordinaire

463 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  03:48:54 AM  Show Profile Send jimbobspins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fiber can vary quite a bit, not only from animal to animal, but season to season (i.e. shearing to shearing).

(Your fibers ARE beautiful.)

Jim
Go to Top of Page

boulderbliss
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  06:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit boulderbliss's Homepage Send boulderbliss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jim!

http://poppyflowerfibr.livejournal.com
http://poppyflowerfibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  5:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boulderbliss - I'm not here regularly, I'm sorry I didn't answer you right off. The past couple of weeks were crazy and I didn't have much extra web time.

Jim is right about the seasons changing the fiber. With the droughts happening in Australia I expect to have some poorer Merino coming out way. Like Finn wool a couple of years ago was increible, better than BFL and now it's not even close to as good.

My email is info@spunkyeclectic.com - Send me an email with your address and I'll send you a sample of what I have for BFL. I use it, so I know what it's like. The bumps I have are a little different than the ones I got last year but they're still incredibly soft. Rarely I have gotten bumps that are one way on the outside and different in the middle. Never has this happened with the BFL. At least not yet.

amy
http://www.spunkyeclectic.com/wp
http://www.spunkyeclectic.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by


and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?


line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe