Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Red Heart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  3:08:21 PM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Llinn - I have some new Red Heart stuff I've been working with for Christmas gifts for my students - and I can tell you that I have several that have bonafide KNOTS in them - not plied together - and one skein I had to completely dismantle because there were 8 knots in the whole skein. This has happened to me more than once, so I always say a little prayer, "Please, God - let this one not have many knots!"

With that said, this summer I purchased some gorgeous wool to make a coat with -bought 8 hanks, which ended up being 18 balls of yarn. Severe and blatant knots - but at least the ply and dye lots were the same.

Unfortunately, in today's world, mediocrity rules over quality much of the time.
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  9:01:40 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regardless of whose yarn it is, I'd raise holy hoozis with whoever's name was on a skein with 8 knots. Seriously, Red Heart has an 800 line for customer relations. Call them and tell them what you found. I'll bet anything they send you coupons for replacement yarn.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  4:01:33 PM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Llinn - Funny you should mention that - I did just that and got "that happens sometimes." I told them it shouldn't and the gal laughed and told me that I must be a newer knitter (which I was) and that I should "get used to it." Yep - I think the term "customer service" has different meanings for different companies. Sigh. . .
Go to Top of Page

julie2cat
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  11:10:45 AM  Show Profile Send julie2cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Isis Rising

I've got some Trekking that's horribly tangled in the middle. I still like it, though. Red Heart serves a select purpose. Since it's so cheap, if I get a messy skein, I buy a new one.

http://isisrising.typepad.com/

Julia A Wright
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  4:32:40 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never knitted with Red Heart. I used to be a weaver and acrylic never came into the picture. However, as a knitter I have used acrylics for babies and children because they are so practical. I'll have to get some Red Heart and see what it's all about

As far as tangles, I LOVE THEM!! Well, I don't like to get the all the time, of course, but when I do, de-tangling is like meditating to me. When we were young and tent camped, I was always in charge of any kind of rope we had because detangling was so much fun. I can't explain it... just one more weird quirk, I guess.

Consuelo
"Perfect is the enemy of good"
Go to Top of Page

Zoomom
New Pal

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  10:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Zoomom's Homepage Send Zoomom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only Red Heart I really use now is Heart and Sole sock yarn. I hate the feel of Super Saver (had to make a scarf and hat a certain colour last year and that was the only yarn I could find that matched) I hate the cheap scratchy acrylics. I have had good luck with Heart and Sole though, but I think because it has wool in it it feels a lot nicer and makes very pretty socks, fingerless gloves and mittens.

Hand knit socks rock.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  9:58:11 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought some Red Heart this last month for the first time in over a decade. DH built a rope maker, and we're making jump ropes. I figure that they're basically plastic and should wash and wear well. I used to find RH all the time at Goodwill, but of course not now, so we've bought at least 20 big skeins. Now I wish I still had my leftovers from my crocheted afghan days of the 70's.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Sparklehal
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  11:35:38 AM  Show Profile Send Sparklehal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used red heart for many years and whether I like it or not seems to depend on the dye. Black is hit or miss, along with red. I have not found anything I absolutely hate. Sayelle (vintage) is not a favorite but it will do in a pinch.
Go to Top of Page

MuddyYork
New Pal

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  5:18:37 PM  Show Profile Send MuddyYork a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see no one has posted here for some time so maybe you're all done with this! I'm new and I've read the archive for this topic and I am really intrigued. I learned to knit as a young girl (maybe 8) in the mid-60's. We had wool - Briggs and Little, Patons Kroy but almost all our stash was acrylic - Simpson's Sayelle, Patons Beehive Canadiana and Astra, and some from England (Wendy??). Don't remember Red Heart specifically in those days but I do remember a truly awful yarn called Phentex. Yes-it squeaked. The discussion about Red Heart has been really interesting and llinn's info has been eye-opening. I am open to all fibres and pretty broke so acrylic is an option for me. I thought I'd do an experiment with Red Heart. Just bought a 141g (5oz) skein from Michael's (a craft "box" store) for $3.99 Cdn called Super Saver Worsted. It's variegated - "Aspen Print" - and recommended tension is 17s/23r over 4" on 5mm (8US). I'm going to knit a swatch (on 4.5 because I want to compare with my other worsteds) and then do what llinn recommended and wash and dry the skein, then knit another swatch to compare. So far the yarn is a bit "sticky", colour runs are short so the pattern is very pleasing, hand is a bit stiff, no other issues so far. Real easy to pull out the yarn from the inside - there are even instructions on the ball band! How very considerate. I've never seen that before. I'll post my results.

Lizzy
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Warming Up

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  08:45:54 AM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reviving this discussion is perfect timing for me. I'm coordinating making blocks for a chemo-afghan for a friend with a brain tumor. There are several other women involved, but I am by far the most experience knitter so will have to make the majority of the blocks. I've made 6 so far and have enough yarn to make probably 4 more and have already spent a lot of money to get nice yarn. One of the women is using Red Heart and I'm thinking about buying a few skeins to crank out some more blocks. Should I use Red Heart or should I spring for some additional nicer yarn? I figured since at least 1 block will be in it a few more would be OK. Thoughts?

Also -- I NEVER pull from the inside. Partly because I think you're asking for tangles -- no matter how nice the yarn -- and partly because I end up rewinding a couple of times as the skein starts to collapse.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  08:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Also -- I NEVER pull from the inside. Partly because I think you're asking for tangles -- no matter how nice the yarn -- and partly because I end up rewinding a couple of times as the skein starts to collapse."

I hear this often, but really have no idea what it means. I almost always pull from the inside and NEVER have problems or tangles. I do always put my ball inside a project bag similar in size to the ball; have done this for years with all sorts of fibers and brands, as well as my homespun.

My granddaughter also complains about the ball collapsing and uses her yarn from the outside. I do understand that the inside of the ball becomes a big hole as the yarn is used, but I just do not have problems. Perhaps it's because of the bag that holds all in place??? The rare times I do pull from the outside, I always put my ball inside one of those plastic yarn spheres, and that inside a bag.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

MuddyYork
New Pal

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  3:01:57 PM  Show Profile Send MuddyYork a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Red Heart experiment results are in. So I knitted my swatch straight from the ball -no treatment and I got 16.5 st 23 r/4in on 4.5. Then I stuffed the skein into a section of pantyhose and threw it in the washer with my washing - warm water, reg cycle. Then it went in the dryer with everything else on hot. The inside was still damp when I pulled it out of the dryer so I ran it through with the next load. Then I knit another swatch. Definitely softer, not sticky, stitch definition not as "crispy" but very nice. The gauge changed. After the wash and dry the yarn knitted up at 18st and 25r/4in. Good to know! I like the washed and dried swatch better, its softer and drapes better even though the gauge is tighter. Red Heart is not on my "never again" list. As for pulling from the centre this can be a real problem with smoother yarns because the ball of course collapses eventually. I have not had a problem with some of coarser wools I use though. I think I read somewhere that whichever way you pull the yarn out can be important because of the spin "s" or "z". A topic for another forum I guess. Thanks llinn for all your info.

Lizzy
Go to Top of Page

MuddyYork
New Pal

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  3:12:31 PM  Show Profile Send MuddyYork a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucybug

Reviving this discussion is perfect timing for me...One of the women is using Red Heart and I'm thinking about buying a few skeins to crank out some more blocks. Should I use Red Heart or should I spring for some additional nicer yarn? I figured since at least 1 block will be in it a few more would be OK. Thoughts?

What a wonderful project. Based on my experiment, I think you might be happy with the Red Heart. For knitting pleasure, you could wash and dry it first or if you're not bothered you could wash and dry your blocks after they're finished. Either way, washing and drying does make it much softer. Also it's easy on the budget! All the best,

Lizzy
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  5:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to stick to the topic here about the Red Heart SS yarn ... I have not personally knit with it in recent memory, although I'm sure I did many years ago. However, I received as a Christmas gift a crocheted granny-square lap throw made from it, from a lady who doesn't know there's anything else. It felt pretty stiff I thought, sort of like a bunch of hot pads sewed together, and I knew from previous experience that she does not wash her gifts before giving them. Well, I washed the throw, and it softened up A LOT. It was a sweet gesture and in a color I love, and I do use this throw regularly while watching TV in a cool room.

Washing makes a big difference for many yarns!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Warming Up

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  5:16:04 PM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lizzy. I'm out of town for work right now and only have enough yarn with me to finish 1 block so will head to Michaels to buy a couple of skeins. Great suggestion to run the blocks through the washer and dryer to soften them. Sadly, my friend will probably not make it to chemo. She's not doing well at all and her husband is hoping they can get her well enough to go home. I'm knitting furiously to have something to give her.

Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1674 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2014 :  04:13:17 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally, think Red Heart,the original)has it's place. I do like it for afghans, wears and launders well. Red Heart also makes several newer and softer yarns that are affordable and good for charity and children's items. As for knots and "tangles", I have noticed that it doesn't matter what brand you buy, they are there. Admittedly frustrating, especially when using a self-striping or self-patterning yarn you are trying to match. Just had that experience with some Berocco Sox yarn, but does that mean I won't use it anymore?....no.
Judy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.