Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Prayer Shawl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

brannonobrien
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  8:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit brannonobrien's Homepage Send brannonobrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a general question about these. Is is an actual pattern, or is it just a shawl that is rectangular (rather than triangular)?

If it is a pattern, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Chelle
www.gettingmykniton.blogspot.com

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  12:55:42 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.shawlministry.com/index.htm
http://www.shawlministry.com/instructions.html
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  07:47:17 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look on the website there is at least one pattern that is provided. However, they say that you can really use any pattern and any yarn you wish. It is, as they say, the thought that counts.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  08:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just, please, do yourself a favor and DON'T use the Lion Brand "Homespun" that so many prayer shawl patterns refer to. that stuff is terrible to knit with!

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  08:54:27 AM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are folks who will disagree with Knitz2's assessment of LB Homespun -- but i'm not one of them.

I knit shawls for local cancer patients (i prefer to call them 'comfort shawls'). Any stitch pattern that you like will work. Feather and Fan is one of the patterns i use regularly. I'm going to do Cozy (from knitty.com) soon. The link for Knitting Pattern Central has lots of good ideas. I prefer to use washable yarns. And as Calamintha said, it really is the thought that matters.

Happy Knitting!
claire
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  09:18:56 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Claire, I knit shawls for the local cancer centre (10 so far this year) and I also would not disagree with Knitz2's assessment of Homespun. It's awful. A prayer shawl is any shawl that you knit with love and caring, and if you throw in some prayers for the recipient, all the better for that person!

I've made the Cozy shawl Claire mentions at least 15 times (you can see my shawls on my blog...link below); it's one of my favourites. And (since Claire and I were obviously separated at birth), I also use washable yarns. I use a lot of superwash wool and will also use Plymouth Encore when I get a request for something that can take a beating in the washer and dryer.

People like to put labels on things...prayer shawls, chemo caps (my personal 'fingernails on the chalkboard...that turns my stomach), but as Calamintha says, it is really the thought that counts. Find a pattern that you can manage, find a nice yarn that is practical for the intended recipient and knit it with lots of caring thoughts.

Mari

2007 shawls/throws completed: 10
2007 socks completed: 7
WIP: Gothic Leaf Lace shawl (Sivia Harding) & Hedera socks (in Panda Cotton)
My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  4:54:22 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mari, we are in agreement because a lot of what i learned about making comfort shawls came from reading your blog. Your shawls are beautiful, and always an inspiration! I hope Chelle takes a look at your blog. She will find so many good ideas there.

Happy Knitting!
claire
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  6:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amen to those suggesting to avoid Homespun! I've tried it and it is as bad as others have said.

Prayer shawls are truly a nice gift to receive. Our church group knits many of them each year. In fact some of us keep one on the needles constantly, not knowing when we start who it will be for. Of course some shawls are made for specific people as well. Someone is always in need of extra love, care, and prayer. Don't discount the power of prayer. Prayer doesn't always have to be in conscious words. God uses us in many ways.

Some other yarns I might suggest are Knit Picks Swish--superwash (says can be machine washed and dried). It is soft and comes in lots of nice colors. It is not expensive either.

If you are looking for economy, softness and easy care, Caron Simply Soft works up nicely. I made Wool Peddlers Shawl (Folk Shawls book by Cheryl Oberle) and it made up nicely.

Here are some pictures of the Wool Peddler's Shawl:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71099383@N00/443568842/in/set-72057594078414056/

Choose a pattern and yarn that you love, knit it with love, and give it with love.

Barbara

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KnitSSK
Seriously Hooked

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  05:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSSK's Homepage Send KnitSSK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Claie, Cozy is a great pattern for that use. I really enjoy the one that I knit for myself.

Martha

http://www.knitcrit.typepad.com

Wanting to be knitting, not working...
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  12:23:31 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have made a bunch of prayer shawls/ comfort shawls too & have to agree that Homespun is the worst yarn ever! I never made one shawl with it, but that's beside the point. I have tried to use yarns that are machine washable & soft. I always try to send positive thoughts to the person & say prayers as I knit. It's a very peaceful, meditative kind of knit.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

grammyknits
Chatty Knitter

108 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  08:36:32 AM  Show Profile Send grammyknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really want to begin knitting these comfort/prayer shawls for people that I know and love. But, I did buy LB Homespun and started with that and agree, its terrible!! Since I bought it at Walmart, I know I can return the unused portion. BUT, what other yarns, inexpensive, can be used?
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  10:28:11 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look for Caron. It has a very soft yarn that I can't think of the name of right this minute![**] Patons & Berocco also have some very nice, less expensive yarns that make very nice shawls.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's called Caron Simply Soft. It is a worsted weight, very soft, with a slight sheen. It knits up great, is easy care acrylic, and very inexpensive. It is available at WalMart, Michael's, etc.--about $2.00 per skein. The easy care feature is important since sometimes you don't know who will be receiving the shawl. Quite often this person might not be in a position to fuss with special care of the shawl.

See my post earlier in this thread for pictures of a shawl made from Caron Simply Soft.

The yarn comes in lots of nice colors.

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  12:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trina

I have made a bunch of prayer shawls/ comfort shawls too & have to agree that Homespun is the worst yarn ever! I never made one shawl with it, but that's beside the point. I have tried to use yarns that are machine washable & soft. I always try to send positive thoughts to the person & say prayers as I knit. It's a very peaceful, meditative kind of knit.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
-Langston Hughes

Vile, vile stuff...I made my first crocheted afghan out of Homespun, and after a few washings it now looks ratty. I attempted to knit with it, which was completely impossible.

PAM

WIP = Project Linus Baby Blankets (1), 63 Cable Squares Aghan, Scrap Sweater

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares, Top-Down Sweater, Project Linus Baby Blanket, Summer Top

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  1:30:12 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the chain crafts stores carry Patons yarn and if yours does you can look for Patons Decor. It is a machine washable acrylic/wool blend that could be used for a prayer shawl also.
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  8:19:48 PM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made lots of prayer shawls out of HS and liked the results. Usually I made them by crochet. It does ravel badly and after washing is a little fuzzy. The sad thing is that it's so pretty with so many nice colors and doesn't cost too much.
Robin C.
Go to Top of Page

bethsunday
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  8:56:03 PM  Show Profile Send bethsunday a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just starting making prayer shawls. I thought it would be nice to attach a card explaining the prayer shawl and a nice message. Unfortunately, I am not very talented in a literary sense. Does anyone have any sample cards/messages that I could steal?

beth
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  03:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beth,

Our knitting group has knitted quite a number of prayer shawls. Our insert is printed on a piece of that nice parchment type paper you get in Office Depot, etc. we just fold it in half. Someone used Print Shop or some similar program, chose a lovely but simple picture of a cross for the front, and some small and colorful butterflies fluttering for the back.

On the inside are a short poem, a scripture and a short explanation of the love we are sending. On the back, among the butterflies, is our group name and other contact information. You could also use a picture of praying hands on the front instead. The whole thing is very simple, but lovely. Our hope is that it will serve as a keepsake and a communication of our love and caring.

The beauty of doing your own enclosure is that you can have a basic format, and then customize the wording if you like before you print itwe just print it on the computer.

http://www.blessingcenter.org/prayer_shawls.htm
This link has the same poem that we use I like it because it is so sweet and says just enough without overwhelming the person with too much verbage.

Crossroads Presbyterian Church PC(USA) has a Prayer Shawl Ministry. This is the prayer included with the Prayer Shawl they give:
"May God's grace be upon this shawl...warming, comforting, enfolding and embracing. May this mantle be a safe haven... a sacred place of security and well-being... sustaining and embracing in good times as well as difficult ones. May the one who receives this shawl be cradled in hope, kept in joy, graced with peace, and wrapped in love. Blessed Be!"

You could certainly write a something similar to this and personalize it for that particular individual.

Some of the inserts Ive seen are really brochures, and Im sure they have their place. To me though, if I were receiving the shawl, I would much prefer the simplicity of a short, more personal card such as the one our group produces.

I hope this will help get you started on creating your own card.

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  05:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Homespun isn't "bad" but it's not great either. To me, it's just a generic Wally World yarn. The prayer shawls I've made have been with Homespun b/c of the softness. Most prayer shawls are either rectangle or triangle also. Barbara's right--it's the thought and prayers that are behind it.

There's a combination of colors on an afghan (or prayer shawl if you shorten the pattern) on my blog I used from the Jelly Bean Prayer. Each color has a meaning from the bible. Every one who's gotten it loves it.

Christy B.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but sticks and strings excite me."

http://hissyknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

freespirit638@yahoo.com
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  12:45:13 PM  Show Profile Send freespirit638@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon!!!!

I've knit about 7 shrugs using the Caron Simply Soft yarn, it works up quite nicely and almost elegant looking.. It has a sheen... I've used 2 skeins for the shrug and hat to match. I make these specifically for chemo patients.. Something they won't have to worry about sliding off their shoulders, if it does it won't fall to the floor.. Also during the winter they can also use it as a scarf.. Have a great day.... one stitch at a time....

Smiles,
Yolanda

Go to Top of Page

PamelaA3
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  12:50:02 PM  Show Profile Send PamelaA3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On another forum the topic of prayer shawls came up. I was quite surprised by the reactions of some who hold no faith. It seemed to create anger and resentment. They felt that they were being preached to. I am an active Christian that knits scarves, hats, and baby items. I have never included a note but have thought about it in light of what was said on the forum. If I made something as large as a shawl I would want to include a small note. I might say something like this. "May you feel the warmth and love of others who care about you during this difficult time. With Care, ------."

God knows our heart and if they are offered in the spirit of his love, isn't that all that matters? Our actions speak much louder than words.

I am another one who does not like Lion Brand Home Spun, or any yarn that sheds and pills. Plymouth Encore (75/25 wool and acrylic) is the best all purpose yarn I have found. It also comes in DK. Good Luck with your shawls.

Pam, in Raleigh
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.