Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Left-handed knitting
 Is Picking easier for Lefties?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nanceann
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  12:02:27 PM  Show Profile Send Nanceann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do Lefties find 'picking', rather than 'throwing' an easier method?

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  1:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about lefties but I find picking easier and I am a righty.....in fact I can't figure out how to throw

rho

my new blog address http://thisandthat-rho.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  5:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee too, Rho! I tried to throw out of boredom on a flight over the summer. Had to rip it out...Wonky tension.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  5:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee too, Rho! I tried to throw out of boredom on a flight over the summer. Had to rip it out...Wonky tension.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Antigone
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  09:39:57 AM  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
um, I'd be glad to share but I don't know the differance.

Antigone the House Cat
Go to Top of Page

yarnyamy
Gabber Extraordinaire

562 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  12:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnyamy's Homepage Send yarnyamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be some sort of left-handed freak for saying this, but I find picking to be HARDER, not easier, than throwing. I can't do it to save my life.

http://frottez.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  07:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found it easier, but then I'd crocheted as a child so I was used to holding the yarn in my left. Really, anyone can learn any method with enough practice. Connie

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  08:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm left-handed, and I don't throw or pick -- I knit lever-style, which looks a lot like I'm knitting continental, only I hold the yarn in my right hand. It's so much faster than throwing.

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

GiselleC
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  08:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit GiselleC's Homepage Send GiselleC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carolbeech

I found it easier, but then I'd crocheted as a child so I was used to holding the yarn in my left. Really, anyone can learn any method with enough practice.

I'm a right-handed continental knitter. I had crocheted sporadically as a child and I think that my lizard brain retained this when I took up knitting years later. I've made the occasional attempt to learn English knitting but laziness wins every time. I really should pick up stranded knitting--that might be a motivator.
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  11:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jcc28

I'm left-handed, and I don't throw or pick -- I knit lever-style, which looks a lot like I'm knitting continental, only I hold the yarn in my right hand. It's so much faster than throwing.

Jane, I may be incorrect in saying this, but I have heard some refer to the "lever-style" of throwing as "flicking". (A right-handed version of "picking").

Ruth

My Blog: Crafterlies
My FO Gallery: Gallery
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  10:22:04 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ruth, it actually has a name? You have made me very happy.

My motto is, "Knit anyway you like, and be happy that you haven't managed to poke your eye out."

Lella
[IMG]http://www.geocities.com/zippianna/turtle.gif[/IMG]
My Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

nearly wrong
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  8:40:35 PM  Show Profile Send nearly wrong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what you'd call what I'm doing but it works so I'm not changing. It might not look terribly elegant but it all comes out fine so I don't worry. No one should ever watch me cast-on however; it's truly scary. Children cry when they watch me cast on. Even the left-handed ones.
Go to Top of Page

sooterl@msn.com
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  5:05:11 PM  Show Profile Send sooterl@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a thrower for years and never could seem to get the hang of continental style. After an accident damaged the nerves in my right index finger I found that I could knit for only short periods of time. Last fall someone taught me to pick using the combination method. It was awkward at first but then I simply dove into a project and forced myself to pick through the whole project. Now it comes very naturally and it is SO much easier on my hands.

Lana
Go to Top of Page

Texas Granny
Warming Up

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  5:40:00 PM  Show Profile Send Texas Granny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a righty who picks. I always have. My Norwegian grandmother who taught me crocheted a lot and held her yarn the same way for both crafts. Lately I've run across references that call picking "left-handed knitting." I find it much easier than throwing. It's also faster and gives you better tension control. However, when I'm doing a Fair Isle or Shetland pattern with multiple colors I combine picking and throwing. I'm also a knitting instructor and I teach my righies and lefties exactly the same way. Works fine.

Texas Granny
Go to Top of Page

Lynne_L
Warming Up

82 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  10:50:19 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne_L a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a lefty but my grammy taught me how to throw. Now I'm challenging my fear of color-work and learning how to pick. Picking is harder for me because I'm used to compensating for my left-handed-ness in throwing by extra motion in my left hand. This gets in the way when picking. I think picking involves a more intricate motion on the part of the right hand, also. It's harder for the left to help out. That's my $0.02.

Lynne
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  08:42:55 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do most everything left handed except write. I was taught to write right handed. I knit leftie and I pick. It is hard for me to grasp the idea behind throwing the yarn. I have tried to teach others how to knit but because I do not throw the yarn and I am a leftie people just get confused.
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  05:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Lynn. I too am a leftie learning to pick after years of "flicking." I am finding that my left hand is less active when picking, although I am still at the practice stage with the knit stitch and have not made it to the purl stitch yet. (What an exercise for the fingers and brain that stitch is!)

I am trying to give myself an alternative dependable method of knitting, as I notice that the joints on my right index finger and middle finger are enlarged. I am sure the day will come when I will have to switch for comfort, so I want to be ready. It ain't easy.

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  07:45:41 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is nice yo have options. I usually knit left-handed (mirrored) English style, but I also can knit left-handed (mirrored) Continental. This comes in handy for Fair Isle knitting.

Pamela
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  08:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pick, but not the way you are "supposed" to. I don't keep the yarn tensioned and I put it over the needle each and every time. It works for me, my gauge is always spot on, and I go pretty fast. I thought I was the only one until I found Wendy Johnson's blog - (wendyknits.org) - she's a lefty too, though she knits from the left needle on to the right and I knit from the right onto the left. I'm no where near as fast or as accomplished as she, however!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Now with actual blogging!:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  3:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learnt RH first so I throw RH and pick LH, that way I'm tensioning the wool on my RH always whichever direction I am going.

Wen

2008 stats: 3 FO, 6 WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.57 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by