Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Left-handed knitting
 how I knit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Antigone
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  09:21:59 AM  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a total lefty. Have been my whole life. I taught my self how to knit not to long ago from directions and videos on the internet. I tried many ways.

I knit english stlye moving stiches from my left needle to my right with the yarn in my left hand. I purl continental moving my stitches from my left needle to my right and still holding the yarn in my left hand.

I am still too new of a knitter to know if this is called left handed or right handed knitting. I don't think my stitches are twisted.

This is comfy to me.

happy knitting

Antigone the House Cat

stellal
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
956 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  3:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit stellal's Homepage Send stellal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sounds nearly the opposite of what i do, and i'm right handed. but and this is the really 'good' part - your stitches are moving from left to right - so in the same direction as most other knitters. The reason this is 'good' is that when you follow a pattern, if you follow a pattern it will work out ok. People who knit from the right needle to the left needle find problems with following patterns knit for the working the other way. they ahve to do mental gym to make it work out as the photos.

any way forget the left right thing, knitting needles have no left or right nor does yarn
welocme to the yarn side.

Stella

I used to follow patterns, but disovered its far more fun to wing it with a little guidence from E. Zimmerman.
I don't spend nearly enough time knitting.
I don't have nearly enough yarn stashed for the future.
My knit to frog ratio is around 2:1 and on show here
www.Knitknitfrog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  09:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm right handed, Antigone, and I knit with the yarn in my left hand and moving the stitches from left needle to right needle.

There really isn't any handedness to knitting. It's a two-handed activity and both hands have to play along.

By the way, my left-handed pal holds the yarn in her right hand (but still moves the stitches from left to right).

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

knitting fairy
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  11:41:58 AM  Show Profile Send knitting fairy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm a left too. I knit left handed, moving the stitches from the right to the left, with my yarn in me left hand.
The good thing about knitting is there's no wrong way to knit. Whatever works.
What you said about purling reminds me of an article I saw on knitty.com. If you hate to purl just knit backwards. They're explaination sounds a little like what you're doing.

Knitting Fairy

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

It took me years and years of trial efforts to work out that there is absolutely no knitting triumph I can achieve that my husband will think is worth being woken up for. ~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much
Go to Top of Page

MommyDiane
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  11:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit MommyDiane's Homepage  Send MommyDiane a Yahoo! Message Send MommyDiane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just clinched the deal to make a DVD about knitting left-handed. There are 2 ways to make the knit stitch *NOT taking into account how you hold the working yarn* and 2 ways to make the purl stitch. Left-handed knitting in this sense meanse moving the stitches from the right needle to the left needle. In the narrow right-is-always-right world sometimes a particular method of holding the working yarn would be called "left-handed" but it was not in any way shape or form left-handed knitting.

Diane Thornton,
www.knitmentia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

leftieknitter
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  1:09:12 PM  Show Profile Send leftieknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lefties,
Just wanted to touch base with you all. I knit with the yarn in my right hand and move stitches from my right needle to my left needle. I learned how to knit from a book called Left Handed Knitting. Whenever people observe me, they tell me I'm knitting backwards, but I can follow patterns because of this. Someone told me I knit like I crochet because I learned how to crochet first. I tried and tried and tried to learn the right handed way, but my brain and hands just couldn't do it. I look foward to the DVD. Nice to meet you lefties.
Go to Top of Page

notalice
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  12:41:36 PM  Show Profile Send notalice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm another leftie that knits from the right needle to the left needle. While I have to redo written patterns, knitting from charts is fairly simple. These days, I tend to chart all written patterns.

I can knit right-handed a bit (I use it when doing bobbles) but it's laborious. While I agree that knitting requires nimbleness in both hands, to date the only people who've told me that knitting right-handed is as easy as knitting left-handed are right-handed people.

-notalice
Go to Top of Page

Antigone
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  10:33:37 PM  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So. I wrote that when I first learned how to knit. I would now describe my knitting habits as knit picking and purl throwing.

As a lefty I can not crochet. I have trained myself to hold the yarn in my left hand while I knit. In order to crochet I need to hold the crochet hook in my left hand and the yarn in my right hand. I'm no good at it.

Antigone the House Cat
Go to Top of Page

beccasmom
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  5:33:57 PM  Show Profile Send beccasmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am left handed and so is my mom who tried to teach me to knit. I would go home and continue to practice from a book sooooo I accidently learned how to knit right handed but I still casted on left handed. I had a hard time learning how to cast on right handed but finally got it together. The funny thing was I had to be told by my mom and sister that I was knitting right handed because I thought I was doing it left handed lol. Atleast I will be able to teach my daughter.
NOW learning how to crochet left handed was much more difficult because that was totally foreign to me. It took a while but I finally got it.

Brenda

beccasmom
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.