Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 How Big of a Stash is TOO BIG?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Coolknitter
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  6:14:12 PM  Show Profile Send Coolknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recently, I went through all of my stash and entered all the information on a spreadsheet. I documented my adventures here: http://knittercny.blogspot.com/2007/03/yarn-stash-inventory.html

I haven't gotten any comments on this entry yet so I thought I would inquire here. It's about 5 huge bins of yarn and a three drawer plastic endtable with cottons and sock yarn.

How does this compare with other people's stashes?

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  6:40:15 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't inventoried my yarn collection, but, for practical purposes, I do have a list of the books and needles I have. And a wish list of books on Amazon which I print out every so often. I carry those three lists with me (we don't wonder why my purse is heavy, right?). That way, if I come across a book that I don't remember having, I can verify it easily without buying a duplicate because of a memory lapse.

Yarn, on the other hand, well, that gets used up (eventually) so it wouldn't matter much if I bought a duplicate, preferably of the same dye lot, of course. Actually, I have sort of sorted out my yarn by type (baby, acrylic worsteds, etc.) and they're in boxes or bags, but the "real" yarn (the good wool yarn) is in plastic bins with cedar blocks and I have to put a packet of Damp Rid in there, now that I think of it. Or it's in the living room beside my recliner with the pattern and maybe the needles in a project bag of some sort ready for me to put it OTN. I guess I could put it on a spreadheet, but I'm not sure I'd really want to know how many total yards I have here. [:00]

So what will you do when your collection doesn't have anything that will work for the pattern you absolutely MUST make up? [!] Go shopping? Yeah, I think that would be the answer.

sja
Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  9:43:08 PM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I inventoried my yarn last fall... well anything that added up to a ball or more, but am sorry to say I haven't kept it up, so everything purchased and used is an unknown. I have a tall narrowish wooden unit with five shelves, 3 of those huge seal lock bags, a nylon thingy that hangs in my closet with 4 filled shelves, plus my WIP in several bags, oh yeah and the stuff I bought yesterday. Too much - nah

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
Go to Top of Page

yarnyamy
Gabber Extraordinaire

562 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  06:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnyamy's Homepage Send yarnyamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just reorganized my stash last week- didn't count anything though. I have a tower of Rubbermaid containers from floor to ceiling in my closet, plus some smaller boxes.

http://frottez.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  4:20:31 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last fall I gave away five of those large Ziploc bags full of yarn. I still have several bins of yarn. That is too much - that is only the acrylic stuff. I've started knitting with better yarns so need to clean out the rest. I do keep some for charity knitting, but still have way too much.
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  5:27:40 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coolknitter

Recently, I went through all of my stash and entered all the information on a spreadsheet. I documented my adventures here: http://knittercny.blogspot.com/2007/03/yarn-stash-inventory.html

I haven't gotten any comments on this entry yet so I thought I would inquire here. It's about 5 huge bins of yarn and a three drawer plastic endtable with cottons and sock yarn.

How does this compare with other people's stashes?

This topic comes up over and over here - if you're looking for justification (I'm not as bad as SHE is!), you'll find it aplenty. If you're bragging (I've got way more than SHE does!), you'll find support for that, too.
My stash is officially designated as S.T.A.B.L.E. - (Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy).

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

stellal
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
956 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  10:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit stellal's Homepage Send stellal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stash - what stash, that just my essentials for knitting, nothing un-needed here. Stash is a very personal thing, my stash is smaller than yours but thats because i have limited $ (underpaid academic and student loan/childcare costs/mortgage, etc come first) and very limited places to buy locally, online is not the same if you can't touch the yarn. Also because i came to this from an earlier and still current sewing hobby, where for over 30 years i had gaily collected fabric with no rhyme or reason. After a large clear out of musty and unfashionable fabric that had cost many many $ I learnt to take a tad more care with acquiring, also living in a 'historic' house with no storage helped. I also had the rather sad task of clearing out my deceased MIL's stash, 10 rubbish bags of yarn went to goodwill, many many more went to the tip as rotten. She was extreme, having so many cardboard boxes of yarn in the various rooms of her house that the path to the bed was between them. The lids were all folded back and I think she liked to see the yarn colours as she walked around the house - now that was serious stash, and she really enjoyed it, but it was all odd balls from the sale bin, not enough of any one yarn for a complete project.

don't get me wrong, I admire people like the yarn harlot who saw the open section of her piano when the tuner was there and thought 'stash cubby' and who pushes all the books on her shelves forward to make space for yarn behind, and claims yarn stash is in fact insulation. For me stash is a little like a tatoo, I'm not going there unless I know that it won't date, I have a space for it, it is worth the pain/price, and that I'll still like it in 25 years. I have 2-3 sweater yarn batches in my own stash and yarn for at least 1 hat and 2 pair of socks, and 2-3 balls of washcloth cotton. My stash is a buffer for the next 18 months or so of knitting.

51K - if its all perfect for the projects you like to knit, and is in fact only a years worth of knitting- sounds not like at all like over-stash but a valuable and needed buffer for your important and valued hobby.

ps i liked your blog.

Stella

I used to follow patterns, but disovered its far more fun to wing it with a little guidence from E. Zimmerman.
I don't spend nearly enough time knitting.
I don't have nearly enough yarn stashed for the future.
My knit to frog ratio is around 2:1 and on show here
www.Knitknitfrog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KAMAOR
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  07:05:25 AM  Show Profile Send KAMAOR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figure when I'm sleeping in the car because I can't get into the house anymore then I might have gone to far. Right now I can still find the rabbit when he gets loose in the craft room so I have a long ways to go.
Sometimes I do have to send the dog in after the rabbit so I guess as long as she still can find her way out too thats another good sign!
Karen
Go to Top of Page

mwedzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  08:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwedzi's Homepage Send mwedzi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
perhaps if we're looking and asking ourselves over and over again if it is too much, then it's too much. cuz if even we, the yarn-obsessed, are not sure if we've gone over the boundaries of reason, then in all liklihood, we have. i have too much.

--Nikki My blog:
http://knitensity.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2209 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  10:14:03 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I agree with Karen re: when it is too lrge; but I can tell you when it is too small - if you go to start a project and the "right" yarn isn't there...then you need more stash.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  11:42:25 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karen,
HAHA - if a cat gets into "that room", I usually have to shut the door and wait for them to wonder why they can't get out and start scratching on the door! That's only way I can find them!

http://blog.kittyknitter.com
My blog at Kitty's Knitterbox
Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  08:26:35 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't even want to think about the total yardage of my stash. My guess is that it could go to the moon and back at least once. Soooo... my take is that my stash is a *little* too big, but I am working on it and have used up more than I have bought for the past few months. If you can still pay the mortgage/rent and buy food, and there's room for you to sleep (and knit) in the house, your're in reasonable shape.

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  08:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have to ask, then you have a problem, but the problem might not be that it's "too big." Who is your yarn for? You, right? Claim it. Embrace it. Use it up, or keep adding to it. Don't try to compare it to anybody else's, because it can't be done. It's yours, and only you can decide.

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2363 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  2:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew I loved you, Jane!

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  3:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Shelia! For you, though, we need to add another consideration: tonnage and volume. If the structure of your house (the load-bearing walls, floor joists, etc.) can withstand your stash, you're set!

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  4:09:48 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no such thing as too much stash

Shirley Ryan, living in Dana Point, CA

...and dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page

Bullmonty
Seriously Hooked

814 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  6:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bullmonty's Homepage Send Bullmonty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think if your stash fills every nook and crevice in your abode, only then would you say your stash is too big.
There are lots of ingenious ways to stash stash....bwahahahahaha!

http://designsbyhuileng.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

spielerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  1:19:36 PM  Show Profile Send spielerd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do all ya'all call it a stash? Makes it sound like something to hide. I want to call mine a collection! Or perhaps a collection of collections. I have a collection of green yarn, for example. I have a collection of sock yarn. I have a collection of Collinette yarn. See how it goes. A collection is like ART maybe. A good thing. You need 3 of something to have a collection. I definitely have a collection of collections. And collections can be displayed. Like art. Big baskets maybe. Hmmm Dare the DH to say something about that display. What does he collect? Golf clubs? Deer antlers? Power tools- woops those are mine so forget that. Anway you get the idea. Flaunt that collection or part of it anyway. Add color to your life with it.
Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  3:12:25 PM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started referring to my yarn as a collection some months ago. I noticed that this had an immediate effect, my husband stopped making comments about "all of that wool taking up space", or "do you plan to knit all of it or what". When I explained to him that I collect fiber, I am a fiber artist and yarns are the medium I work in he got it. My husband is an artist and photographer, our home houses a large camera collection as well as a large stock of art supplies.
I don't worry about how much yarn is in the house, eventually it becomes something or is given to another knitter as a gift. Some of it is simply beautiful and unique and I don't care if I knit it or not, I can enjoy looking at it or stroking it.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  12:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't asking if a stash is too big akin to asking if a girl is too pretty, a car is too fast, or if you have too much money? .. ok, so I stole the words from a country song that goes something like 'There ain't no such thing as a girl too pretty, a car too fast, having too much money or having too much fun.'

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  2:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a spare bedroom that in one corner (from floor to ceiling) is stacked with big rubbermaid clear binds filled with yarn.

My DH is my stash gauge meter. He periodically goes into the spare room to get his seasonal clothes, or a pack of new socks/undies, out of the closet. If he comes out cheery; my stash must be is almost gone. If he starts mentioning that I need to clean out my bins; it mean the stash is just right. If he comes out complaining about the over stuffed bins; I went over my self imposed limit[:00].

Elsie W[meow]

"The yarn. It speaks to me."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by