Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 what about the black socks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pitoune
Warming Up

Canada
67 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  9:23:19 PM  Show Profile Send Pitoune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im a female but I asked my bf what color he would like to have a knitted pair of socks. He told me " BLACK". I said "Are yuo sure? grey for example could be nice" He said "Okay, black or grey" .

What about yuo guys are afraid to add a little color? Is it just him or.... ?

And do you know a great yarn to make a pair of manly socks, not boring? ( I mean something NOT solids? )

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  10:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made some manly, not boring socks for my guy in Trekking XXL Color 90
http://knitflix.blogspot.com/2005/10/fo-2005-22-xl-xxl-retro-rib-socks.html

and in Lorna's Laces Mineshaft
http://knitflix.blogspot.com/2007/02/2006-02-mineshaft-socks.html

He loves them and wears them all the time, but I made sure he was okay with the yarn & pattern before I started.

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  04:01:06 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To men, socks are something you wear on your feet to make shoes more comfortable. They are not fashion, they are not an accessory, they are underwear. I don't know why we try to change our men and what they want to wear.

My DH wouldn't ever wear anything but solid colour socks. It's just simply not him. Why would you want to spend all the time and effort in making something NOT solid that your BF most likely doesn't want? Does he even want you knit socks for him? Yeah, we know how nice they are, but to him, it's just underwear and he doesn't get it (and may not want it).

JK offers excellent advice; make sure he is OK with both the yarn and the pattern before you begin. Don't try to force something on him that you want him to wear. It's not worth it.

Mari

2007 shawls/throws completed: 8
2007 socks completed: 6
WIP: Estonian Lullaby blanket (and socks, too)
My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  05:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made my BF some socks in sober, manly colours because he just doesn't do fashion. When he saw the brightly coloured ones I was making for everyone else he said 'Can I have colourful socks too?' He hasn't looked back since - nothing is too bright for him and he's not averse to rolling up his trousers in the street to show them off!

http://janesprobablyknitting.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  06:37:04 AM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JK- great socks!
I knit socks for my father this Christmas. One pair were a multi-coloured grey Regia, the other were a black and yellow with grey and white jacquard by Confetti. The latter are much less flashy on the foot than they sound. He wears both, but the latter took some getting used to, as he is, well, a guy!

Can you imagine a world without rhetorical questions?
Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:29:51 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a conservative-dressing BF who (rather reluctantly) agreed to me making him socks. I made them out of a deep blue with deeper blue and black flecks, and he loved them. Said they were the most comfortable socks he'd ever had. Plain stockinette, no cables, not even a patridge-eye heel. Plain plain plain. Gotta *ease* them into stylin'!

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  9:26:38 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Dad loves his hand-knit socks - as long as they are dark. Dark grey, dark green, dark blue, dark brown are all acceptable. I draw the line at black. Frankly, the other dark colors drive me nuts, too, but I do it anyway because I love him. I recommend knitting the manly socks in the summertime, outside when there is a)lots and lots of natural light to help see what you are doing and b)lots of other people and things going on to look at when the socks get boring. I take mine to swimming lessons and the girls tennis practice, and they go by pretty fast.

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/teenyfrank-in-a-nest.jpg[/IMG] Lin
Go to Top of Page

danspun
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  1:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit danspun's Homepage Send danspun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just have to pipe in here and say not all guys refuse to wear colorful socks... perhaps they just need a little encouragement. I have my share of solid color socks, but I do have quite a collection of both socks my wife has made and ones that I have made for myself. An example is here: http://sattler-reimer.com/blog/?pp_album=main&pp_cat=knitting-projects&pp_image=socks003a_sm_1.JPG

I think once you can convince him to wear fun socks, and show that it is NOT JUST underwear, there will be no turning back.
Go to Top of Page

Isis Rising
Chatty Knitter

320 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  8:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isis Rising's Homepage Send Isis Rising a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my take-- if you ask a person what color they'd like to have a pair of socks knit in, then you reject the color they say, what was the point of asking them to begin with? My uncle asked for some brown, plain socks. That's exactly what I knit for him-- brown socks, with a ribbed cuff, and plain stockinette stitch for the rest of the sock.

I really wanted to knit him some socks using a primarily blue Bearfoot yarn. Would he have worn them? I doubt it.

I'd rather make the socks I know he wanted, and would wear. I save my goregously dyed sock yarns for the people I know will appreciate the colors-- chicks.

Now, if you really want to get him to wear socks in colors other than black-- knit him the black pair.

Then, wait until he begs you to knit more. I have yet to meet someone who has worn a pair of handknit socks NOT get hooked on them.

http://isisrising.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

kpc19011
Chatty Knitter

146 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  08:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit kpc19011's Homepage Send kpc19011 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My husband complained to me back in December that I never knit him anything. I surprised him with hand socks in a Lorna's Lace blues/brown combo as xmas gifts...I so wanted them for me;) Plus, a simple scarf done in similar colorways. He has warn the scarf, but the socks have only been warn once and that was the day he received them. He can't complain that I don't make him anything, but I'm sure not going to waste me precious knitting time to have great hand knits sit.

Kris
SouthSub-Chicago

Just Let Me Finish This Row
http://kniftyred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eepster
Seriously Hooked

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  10:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit eepster's Homepage Send eepster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off hand it sounds like when you asked black was the first color that popped into his head. He sounds pretty open since when you said grey he was fine with that too.

My DH is much more concerned with how warm and soft his socks are than what they look like. If you asked my DH what socks he wanted he would be much more likely to say alpaca than to mention a color or pattern.

I'd find 3 or 4 yarns all of which you would be happy to work with and just let him pick.

Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/knittingwithcat
Go to Top of Page

Pitoune
Warming Up

Canada
67 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  11:12:18 PM  Show Profile Send Pitoune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I decided to go with a grey charcoal yarn, by Trekking XXL. I really like to knit with that, it wont be the last time. I did the classc k2-p2-ribbed-for-my-pleasure cuff and plain stockinette after that. It is grey, light-grey, dark-grey, very male, very masculine. So I hope he will like them, Im pretty sure of it.
Pitoune
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  10:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hubby will wear shades of blues, blacks, and browns. He's okay with a little color added if the majority of the sock is in one of the aforementioned shades.

I think the charcoal sounds like a great choice! I think you'll both be pleased.

Kimberly, knitting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

8kids4me
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  06:59:14 AM  Show Profile Send 8kids4me a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fixing to start my first socks for dh...in black. He only wears black and tan socks, with his work pants. The big reason I am doing this for him is that he insists on wearing really cheap acrylic socks that blow out at the toe after about a month. I would like his feet to be wrapped in love, and the color is unimportant to me, but the feeling he will get from wearing them means a lot.

Cindy B
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  08:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the guy I knitted a pair of socks for said "black or dark gray because those are the only colors I'm allowed to wear to work and you know I don't wear socks much if I'm not working" .... of course, he lives in a warm climate. but is it possible that our guys are so trained to think about what is acceptable to wear to work they don't think about having nice colorful things for leisure?

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  09:56:08 AM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do your guys wear ties? You could use the bright sock yarn to knit ties for them. I used Colinette Jitterbug Mardi Gras and he loves that tie. He's a tall for shirts and ties, so I matched the length and shaping of a tie that works well for him (single Windsor knot) and it works well. It took one full skein with very little left over. Now for the other skein of Mardi Gras I have .... hmmmm .... He found a Claudia in blues that he liked so that's awaiting knitting up. I used size 1 needles for the first tie, probably the same for the Claudia, so it'll be a few more weeks before I'm ready for another size 1 project.

sja
Go to Top of Page

4ply
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  06:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit 4ply's Homepage Send 4ply a Private Message  Reply with Quote
whoa, whoa, wait a minute... are you all saying that socks aren't just underwear?!?!?!?

Scott
;-)
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  6:29:58 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DH only wants me to knit black 8ply socks for him, which he wears until they wear out!

He gets 1 pair per year; he's happy that I have made him something (he doesn't wear jumpers) and I'm happy because I don't have to knit anything bigger and can concentrate on my own garments!

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2007 Stats: 4 WIPs, 8 FOs
Go to Top of Page

2trees
Seriously Hooked

749 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  5:35:22 PM  Show Profile Send 2trees a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i made dh the requisite black socks, but used an interesting pattern. Sneaky, huh? :)

http://worldofyarncraft.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  8:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DH is so picky about his socks that I wouldn't even attempt to knit some for him. My sister, however, has knit several pair for my BIL and he loves 'em. He isn't "afraid" of colors and would probably wear hot pink and lime green if Sis knit them for him!

And Scott, no - socks aren't underwear. They are a fashion statement all on their own. Hmm, wonder if DH would like hand-knit underwear? HAHAHAHAHA!

Beth
"I was taught to respect my elders, but it is getting harder and harder to find one"
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
799 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  3:14:45 PM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Sigh'
My USN DH says he will wear the plain black socks I've knitted one of to work.
You'd better believe the next pair, in olive, to go with his funky 'Keens' will have a bit of patterning...even if it is just fancy ribbing!
The boring, black socks have only fueled my appetite for patterned/fun sox for neices for Xmas!

Runner who knits: knitter who runs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.