Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Continental? or Combination Knitting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simplicity
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  8:17:49 PM  Show Profile Send Simplicity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been kniting since 2004, and am contemplating learning to knit Continental syle.
I would appreciate getting some feedback on pro's and con's before actually taking the class.

After seeing an episode on Knitty Gritty and some of the comments to follow maybe Combination knitting may be the way to go.

goldiegirl
Seriously Hooked

611 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:16:53 PM  Show Profile Send goldiegirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also want to learn to knit continental and have made it a goal for 2007. I think it will come in handy for knitting fair isle (another 2007 goal - try some kind of colorwork). It's also apparently good to switch knitting positions to avoid a repetitive stress injury. And it's said to be faster, although that isn't the primary reason I want to learn.

I don't know of any cons to learning Continental, except that your gauge can be quite different than when you knit English, so you have to watch it if you switch back and forth on the same project.

my gallery
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:18:44 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit my own sort of crazy way, since I'm left handed the left hand does a lot of work but the right hand feeds the yarn. So, a lady at a gem show saw me knitting and told me I could learn it quickly. She showed me in five minutes how to take my style of knitting and knit continental style. If I could I would sit down and practice it because it seemed so much faster and had so much good potential, as in fair isle knitting. I don't think you will be disappointed in trying it out. It's a thing of beauty.

Lella
[img]http://www.geocities.com/zippianna/turtle.gif[/img]

My Knitting & Blabbity blog
Go to Top of Page

eepster
Seriously Hooked

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit eepster's Homepage Send eepster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw a video and it just clicked right away for me. No fuss no muss I could do it.

Here's the video I saw http://youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY

Being an ambidextorous dyslexic I actually ended up knitting back and forth after I saw this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=1jhCV4ZTLrA

BTW I learned english knitting when I was 8, so you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Jen
http://www.buddhabellyart.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/knittingwithcat
Go to Top of Page

jerryjordan@mesh.net
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  11:47:59 PM  Show Profile Send jerryjordan@mesh.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I having been crocheting since I was 10 years old (I'm in my sixties now). I tried knitting about 25 years ago and actually finished a sweater that looked really good, but I felt so awkward with my knitting. I couldn't seem to get the 'hang' of holding the needles correctly. Over the years I had a few people tell me I would probably love knitting continental style, but no one ever told me what that meant.

About a year ago I watched Knitty Gritty on the DIY network and they showed continental style knitting. It 'clicked' with my brain because the yarn was controlled by the left hand, which is what I do with crocheting. I taped that video and watched it over and over again until I was able to knit continental style. I've been knitting 'feverishly' since then and absolutely LOVE it! I can knit faster than my more experienced knitting friends and I have no problem at all with tension except for one or two yarns and I'm working on that.

I highly recommend people to learn continental style knitting, particularly if they have been crocheting longer than knitting.

Susie

Susie
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  12:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try it and find out if you like it. I use it to knit sometimes when my fingers hurt or to make another attempt at colorwork. It's always handy to have alternate ways of doing things, even if it turns out not to be your preferred way.

Anything is only worth what one person is willing to pay for it and one person is willing to sell it for.
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

stellal
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
956 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  01:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit stellal's Homepage Send stellal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
try it, and give it a few months. I have picked up about four knitting styles over the last 4 years, and many many more ways of tensioning yarn. At first the new style has to be worked on, and i find myself reverting to my old ways, but after a half project I knit comfortably, and a project or two I knit well. My default used to be combination, but now I knit a modified contintal - and it really is handy for colour work. I would never insist some one continue if it felt wrong - see what your fingers, arms hands and brain think of it.

Stella

I used to follow patterns, now I just make my own up as I go. Most times life is to short to read other peoples instructions - other times I really really wish I had. And my nearly one year old blog www.Knitknitfrog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  03:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started knitting Continental for basic knitting when I got my Knit Picks for Christmas and it just seemed natural to knit that way. I was taught English but the Knit Picks are so sharp it was less painful also to knit Continental. I learned from knittinghelp.com. However if I have to do some intricate work, I'm back to English.

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."

I am no longer a blog virgin. Visit my new blog!!!
http://hissyknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  04:14:24 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've learned the Continental method, and for me, I knit much faster than doing English. However, I need to practice because my knitting is so loose. I just have't taken the time to really practice the method because I don't feel like slowing down to speed up. Now that's convoluted! Try it! You may like it.

Angie
My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26414328@N00/
My blog: http://zippyzinnia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  04:30:22 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can and do both. I learned crochet first and so continental was more intuitive. It was the first way I truely learned how to purl. You should try evertything that you can, and give it a chance, not just for half an hour than throw up your hands. Sometimes it clicks, sometimes it takes a little practice. Every new skill (knitting or otherwise) is a feather in your cap. You may not use the skill often but it's there when you need it, you will have the knowledge of the skill on which to build new skills, and it keeps your brain young.
Go to Top of Page

8kids4me
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  05:09:42 AM  Show Profile Send 8kids4me a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The girl who showed me kniTTing back in 6Th grade, TaughT me using the conTinenTal meThod, so iT's The only way i know To kniT. I saw The english meThod done on TV recently and it looked like There were more sTeps involved. Remind me To get a new keyboard Today?

Cindy B
Go to Top of Page

LolaL
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  05:47:29 AM  Show Profile Send LolaL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cindy,
Get a new keyboard. Print this out and pin it to your shirt, that way everyone will ask and you'll have lots of reminders!

Well behaved women don't make history.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  06:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pros: Ribbing, Seed Stitch, any stitch pattern where you switch from K to P on the same row

Cons: the purl. But once you're used to it, you can strike that out.

But not everyone has to knit continental, even if they plan on doing colorwork. Knit the way you like, the way that produces the fabric you like, and the way that gives you the most enjoyment.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  06:17:56 AM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mom taught me to crochet when I was young - several times actually. (poor mom!) I never really took to it, but the way I hold my yarn and knit now (left hand) is directly related to having learned t ocrochet first. It is a very fast way of knitting and of course it's handy to learn for color work if you knit with your right hand normally. I still find knitting with the right hand awkward, but I know that if I work on it I'll become more proficient.

Angela
Go to Top of Page

Terryknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  06:40:04 AM  Show Profile Send Terryknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learned to knit “Continental” at a young age from my European grandmother. I never had a name for how I knit. A friend of my mother’s told me (when I was about 16 y.o.), I was twisting my stitches and how to correct it. Most other knitting information came from books and the internet. A few years ago I learned that in fact I was a COMBINED knitter. How you wrap for a purl stitch is what makes this so different from Continental.

This is a great website that explains about combined knitting.
http://www.anniemodesitt.com/clips/

When I teach others to knit the hardest thing for them to master is holding the yarn with the correct tension to keep the stitches even and let your yarn glide smoothly. Once that is mastered, this way of knitting is well worth pursuing! There is less hand & arm movement and therefore less strain on the wrists. This is not a race, but this kind of knitting can be very fast too.

The one thing I find a bit tricky is because the stitches are not oriented on the needles the way most knitters have them, directions for right & left slanting decreases are a bit different. I certainly encourage you to give it a try.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  06:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Terry, she's not asking about combined, but Continental.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

761 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  06:45:58 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You Jen for the video. It helps me with my tension.Ive been trying to self teach my self how to knit continental. My wrist don't hurt as much when I knit this way.
Go to Top of Page

Terryknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  06:51:01 AM  Show Profile Send Terryknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason I mentioned Combined is if she is learning a new way to knit, it might be good to know there is a third choice as well. Simplicity is a fairly new kinitter and might not know there is also another choice.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

Simplicity
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  06:56:48 AM  Show Profile Send Simplicity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw an episode on Knitty Gritty where the designer used Continental style to knit and English method to purl.

Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

761 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  07:03:28 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just learn somthing new I didn't know of a third way of knitting.Donna ThankYou
Go to Top of Page

Simplicity
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  10:17:43 AM  Show Profile Send Simplicity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Terry for the link to the video for Combination Knitting!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?