Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Blocking Kidsilk Haze
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  2:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am using Rowan Kidsilk Haze for the first time to make a shawl. Does anyone have any tips for blocking that ensure that as much of the halo is retained as possible and it doesn't look over mauled?

Thanks

Jane

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  4:31:45 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane, I'm glade you posted this question. I've been wondering about the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

operakaz
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  4:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit operakaz's Homepage Send operakaz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does fine with a standard wet-block. Doesn't lose any halo/haze. I followed the blocking instructions from the Kiri shawl (which calls for KSH) and it blocked out gorgeously. Soak in lukewarm water for about 20 min, gently squeeze out excess liquid and block to proper dimensions (I stretched mine pretty hard).

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  5:03:30 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used some Kid Seta last year for a stole I designed. It's the same fiber make-up as KSH. I just did a normal block. Got it thoroughly wet and stretched it out. I found that it did not stretch as much as a wool yarn but apart from that, nothing unexpected. After it dried it looked the same as it had before I got it wet.
Go to Top of Page

lmpjjp@optonline.net
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  1:31:20 PM  Show Profile Send lmpjjp@optonline.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would wash in mild soap and lukewarm water. My mother said she always put in a bit of cream rinse (for hair) after. Then squeeze gently and roll up in a towel to wick out the water. Then when you block it will be wet but not dripping all over. i block large things like shawls on my pool table. i put down a plastic table cloth, a blanket on top of this and pin the knitted garment to the blanket. Works well
Go to Top of Page

Aseneth
Chatty Knitter

158 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile Send Aseneth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wet blocked my Kiri and the yarn didn't lose any halo, nor did it become overly fuzzy. Blocked beautifully!

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

kcholm
Chatty Knitter

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  08:46:06 AM  Show Profile Send kcholm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blocked a shrug made out of KSH--and it was the first time I've blocked anything because I have been afraid of doing something irrevocable to my projects. But I had to do it for the shrug.

It went beautifully and blew away my blocking-phobia. Wet rinse, roll in a towel, spread out on a different towel and "pet it" into place was all I needed. Since it wasn't lace I didn't need to stretch it tight, just pet it into the right dimensions. Looked super dry, the same or even better than before blocking.
Go to Top of Page

theatreknitter
Warming Up

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  4:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit theatreknitter's Homepage Send theatreknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize this is an old forum, but wanted to thank you all. Getting ready to block my Shawn, I I had blocking phobia for this shawl.

Betsy

have YOU checked out PatPat's Hats?
www.patpatshats.com
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  11:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have blocked KSH several times, including earlier this year (Scaruffle) and it has turned out lovely every time. I drop it into tepid water with a few drops of whatever no-rinse-needed wool wash I currently am using and allow it to soak for about 10 minutes. Roll in a towel to blot out excess water, lay out and finger pat to shape (I have never pinned anything I've made of this) and allow to dry. Pick it up, give a gentle little shake and say to self, "Now, why on earth was I afraid of this stuff?" And that is how I tell the recipient to wash it.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe