Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 where to buy yarn in singapore
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spinknitspin
New Pal

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  3:40:43 PM  Show Profile Send spinknitspin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi, does anyone out there know where to buy yarn ( wool and cotton ) from singapore besides spotlight singapore ? i will be going to singapore for a week during early april to see my grandfather and my parents there. so i am thinking of buying some cheap cotton yarn to make some garments for myself and my son, as well as woolly for my hubby, i am not keen on acrylic ( 100%) but with some blend acrylic is fine. i am also planning of spinning my own yarn and try dying some too, however unable to do so just as yet due to my spinning wheel has broken down[:((], so my hubby will have to repair for me . thank you. i have been knitted for 2 and half years already, still learning.

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  6:28:03 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome from a fellow Australian - sorry I can't help you regarding yarnstores in Singapore - just wanted to say Hi and hope you have fun meeting new friends here - Have you tried googling "yarnstores in Singapore" on the net??We do have a Yarnstores around the globe section here on the forums (scroll down)- there may be some help for you there!Good Luck and Happy Knitting!

Lucy[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q61/loliwoli/catyawn.gif[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

spinknitspin
New Pal

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  7:48:08 PM  Show Profile Send spinknitspin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi lucy, thank you for welcome me... i have tried searching for yarn stores in singapore last night in google.. sadly to say, there is spotlight in singapore but none other except imports and exports companies. i am a permanent resident here in australia , queensland . have been married to a aussie hubby 3 years ago and a son of 2 year now. i only picked up knitting when i was expecting with my 1st boy. and am happily knitting away whenever i can steal time away from my son mainly during his nap time and bed time. spinning is learning, currently using hand spindle but very slow in process. i am still waiting for my hubby to repair my wheel... still waiting...
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  9:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there! Awhile back, a friend wrote some reviews/experiences on local Sinagpore yarn stores, her post is here: Singapore Yarn Stores Info

Also, there is another online forum just for local Singaporean and Malaysian knitters, they have a section just for yarn stores and if you mention you'll be visiting, they will offer to show you around and take you to some nice yarn stores (or at least provide you with info on where will be the closest one to where you're staying at): Knitters Community

Good luck!

Ruth

My Blog: Crafterlies
My FO Gallery: Gallery
Go to Top of Page

spinknitspin
New Pal

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  11:32:47 PM  Show Profile Send spinknitspin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi ruth, thank you. i will try web.

jaslyn
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  07:52:11 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jaslyn,

I was thinking of posting a compiled info actually. Other than Spotlight which normally sells Australian yarns, you can go to the following:

- Corronation Plaza - I haven't been there personally. I heard they sell Italian yarns and the higher end yarns from Europe. You can buy Addi needle here.
- Tanglin Mall level 2 or 3 - there is a small yarn shop there. Unfortunately all their goods are packaged in bags. If I am not mistaken they are selling Japanese yarns. Shopkeeper lets u browse through without bugging you. price indicated on plastic
- Tiong Bahru Plaza - nothing that wowed me here, no recollection
- Daiso - $2 shops that sells yarns too - not much variety here and no natural fibers here - all japanese yarns, wooden needle, cheap accesories. 3 outlets: Vivo City, Plaza Singapura, IMM. You might be tempted to buy other things there.
- Golden Landmark - mostly European brands (Austermann?) & Japanese goods. The goods are packaged in plastic bags too. The shopkeeper (not sure if she is the owner) is knowledgeable. No price indication
- Chinatown Point - handicraft Center level 2 (Hobby Arts & crafts). Mostly Japanese yarns, Japanese patterns. Don't be mislead by the small display of yarns, there are more somewhere hidden. Just ask. The same building has other bead shops and other Chinese traditional artsy stuffs. If you go there and shop is closed, call the owner's hp (she paste her namecard at door). No price indication
- Golden Dragon - People's park center/ opposite Chinatown Point (just walk from Hobby Arts & Crafts shop. This is THE place to be. Sells Japanese yarns, Berroco, Sirdar, Jaeger, Rowan yarns, accessories (the largest collection on display for Clover plus you can see the conversion chart for Jap,US &UK & metric needle). Pricing should be quite competitive. Currently having clearance for Sirdar baby yarns at 1 corner. also available: fabric, beading, cross-stitch, etc. Do take time to browse through coz you may find interesting things at small corner. Price displayed below yarn and sometimes translation of yarn composition.

I think if you are here, you should buy Japanese stuffs. Example Clover needle (aluminium, circular, wooden), Japanese yarns, Clover accessories. Many of these things are not available online.

If you need pattern book in English /Japanese, you can get them Kinokuninya (River Valley - Liang Court & Takashimaya).
PM me if you need more info. I think you can contact the other forum for guided tour.. Some of the info above I got it from Lois' review. I heard there is another shop at Crown Prince (please ask Cool Cotton for more info)
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  08:01:35 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correction. Golden Dragon does not sell Berroco. Some of the staffs may not be able to speak English but they will direct you to someone who knows.

Sometimes Kinokuninya has 20% off coupon published in newspaper. Member has 10% I think. If you need help or you are looking for things, just ask.

I've been to Tanglin Mall, Tiong Bahru, Golden Landmark (it's in Golden Landmark hotel, near Bugis) Golden Dragon, Hobby Arts & Crafts & Daiso. Spotlight is having clearance sale for some acrylic yarns but sure when it will last.
If you are staying here long, you can ask Golden Landmark & Hobby craft to teach you knit - if you buy their yarns.

Oops-sorry for blabbering.
Go to Top of Page

spinknitspin
New Pal

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  2:05:00 PM  Show Profile Send spinknitspin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi mocha, is good to know you. thank you for your info, this is helpful for me, as i am only going there alone on this trip by myself. i can spare quite some time to browise around those places you have mentioned. i do speak chinese. you can email me if you wanted to., you are more than welcome, as i will shopping alone without my friends as most of them will be working or stay at home mums.
jaslyn
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  12:32:26 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Welcome to Knitters Review Forums from a fellow Aussie.

Sorry I don't know anywhere where you could buy yarn in Singapore.

Hope you have fun and make many new friends.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  07:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto what Mocha said about Golden Dragon. Compared to all the other yarn shops I visited (which were a few, but none as memorable as this one), this has the most stuff. I went crazy there. Especially with their Clover stuff, as we here in the US don't have as much Clover options (among other things, blech).

Ruth

My Blog: Crafterlies
My FO Gallery: Gallery
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  09:24:08 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ruth,

they recently brought in a new section of Clover accessories like loom thing, felting needle & kit, clover beginner kit, tapestry needle, patchwork / quilting, clover needle, etc etc. When was the last time you came here? You should see Daiso too.

Hi Jaslyn you can also contact www.tropicalknitter.com. I think she carries some yarn too. I will recommend you to make your way to Chinatown. You can shop for clothes, beads (there are 3-4 shops in the viccinity), some of the cheapest toiletries /cosmetic fr Korea is there too.

Ironically, now knitted stuffs are HUGE in Singapore. You see everyone wearing it.
Go to Top of Page

spinknitspin
New Pal

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  5:09:38 PM  Show Profile Send spinknitspin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mocha,
the last time , i visited sg was last year feb 1 week before cny to attend my sister's wedding with my hubby and son however, dont have much time to shop due to visiting relatives and so fro 'cos of cny and that drives my hubby nuts.and stay there for 3 weeks without having much of shop not to mention going yarn hunting. so this time, i will be flying alone.and will have time for yarn hunting.
jaslyn
Go to Top of Page

loisleong@gmail.com
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  6:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit loisleong@gmail.com's Homepage Send loisleong@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi spinknitspin

good to hear you are visiting relatives in Singapore.
Do get in touch with local knitters.
Anyways, we are having a Knit Out on the 8th Apr, by any chance you will be most welcomed to join us.

Lois
http://gedditknitted.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jackie Lim
New Pal

Singapore
27 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  5:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jackie Lim's Homepage  Send Jackie Lim a Yahoo! Message Send Jackie Lim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jaslyn,

A warm hello to you from Singapore.

I am a stay at home mum with a 8yo, loves to knit/crochet.

Get to know this knitting group of gals(Lois is one of them) recently and attended my first meetup with them.

I had a wonderful time and hope u can make it to our next meetp up on 8/4/07, Sunday, Starbucks in Raffles City.

Raffles City is a big shopping mall too. Nearest MRT is City Hall.

If u r here, jus aks around for Starbucks...and u can see us or rather notice the knit stuffs.

Happy Knitting
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?