Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Organizing a Knitting Room
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

NutScraps
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  10:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutScraps's Homepage Send NutScraps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting ready to move into a bigger place! This allows me to devote a room entirely to my knitting, crocheting and sewing.

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself.

But now I'm stuck with the biggest dilema of all... how should I set this room up?

How do you organize your yarn stash?

LI Craftgal
Gabber Extraordinaire

382 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  12:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit LI Craftgal's Homepage Send LI Craftgal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For yarn I got a bookcase from Ikea and it works great. I have pics on my blog of the yarn set up in it. I also put some books in it and it comes in a smaller size too.

Kelly

http://licraftgals-spot.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2361 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  12:26:35 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got two kitchen "carts" from Ikea for my room. Each has two shelves with three baskets on each shelf for yarn. I attached my ball winder and swift to the top of one. I like them because I can butt them together or move them apart...each has wheels so they're very easy to move and they're all wood. I bought a huge basket with a lid at a garage sale that I use for fiber and that's tucked under the desk (my drumcarder is attached to the top of the desk). Oh, and I have hanging cloth "shelves" in the closet that hold more yarn...and there's more yarn on the shelves in the closet...and more in several more baskets around the room....the rest of it is in the living room....

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
738 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  1:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit CPAknit's Homepage Send CPAknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My husband converted a grown up child's bedroom into my sewing/knitting room. I have my yarn stored in one of those clear hanging sweater bags. I can sort the yarn by type or weight, keep it free from dust, and look at it whenever I want! Works great

Cindy
http://cpaknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  1:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in the same situation. I hadn't thought about Ikea, so thanks for the suggestion.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

maggie nana
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  3:01:41 PM  Show Profile Send maggie nana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of us that need more space for yarn than the room allows - get space bags! They compress down to almost nothing, stack neatly, they are clear so you can see exactly what you have and they kept my stash clean and dry through hurrican Ivan. Too bad I didn't have one for the house ;-)

Maggie B

"If I didn't write it down, it didn't happen"
Go to Top of Page

mtdortiz@hotmail.com
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  01:48:28 AM  Show Profile Send mtdortiz@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I converted a spare changing table into a yarn/fabric table. It has three shelves. I put 3 square lidded baskets on the top shelf for yarn. I use 2 large soft fabric bins on each of the 2 bottom shelves for yarn or fabric. It turned out very cute, because the table is a light blue, and I bought the fabric bins in a matching floral print at Target. I would also check out the closet organizing section of Target. They have tons of organizing ideas, some of which would look very nice outside of a closet, too! Some of the wood shoe organizers look perfect for separating/storing yarn. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  09:36:11 AM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Maggie, I also used space bags to stow and compress my yarn. We were moving, and I didn't want DH or the movers to see the *extent* of my stash.

Little did I know that in the middle of my move, when my goods were in the hands of the moving company, their warehouse would flood and I would have extensive water damage. I worried myself sick about my children's baby pictures, but did not have a moment's concern for my stash...in the worse case scenario, it would be floating around the warehouse, safe and dry in space bags!

I like the idea of bookshelves...I use spare dressers and a wardrobe closet, but that just puts my stash out of sight, out of mind. I would absolutely be more inspired to knit up my stash if I could see it!

Beth
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  5:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a coincidence that I found this thread... because I just posted about my new craft/sewing room..! And yes, I too utilized IKEA quite a bit. I bought a cabinet (looks like a buffet table) that has lots of shelving. Also a couple bookcases, and attached glass doors to them and put my yarn stash in there. My yarn is in hefty ziplock bags, ranging from quart to gallon sized, organized by project, yarn type, etc.

Pictures are on this post (scroll down to see the thumbnails of the room).

I am SO STOKED about this room. :) (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Ruth

Crafterlies
Gallery
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  6:50:52 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My new knitting room has a large closet so I will just buy some of the pre-fab cubbies and store yarn in there. I will have different sizes of cubbies so that just like in a yarn shop I will be able to see at a glance what I have, and keep my Sock of the Month patterns with the intended yarns.

I will have my knitting chair an the room will be all Ott lights, including one at my computer desk.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  06:08:25 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am very envious! I have an area of my finished basement set aside for my stuff, but I can't really make myself a craft room until we re-do the basement. That's not going to happen for a few years - we have an endless bathroom project that needs to be finished first. In the meantime, I have plastic boxes stacked on bookcases, which works fine for my storage needs.

But what I really need is good workspace. I.e. good lighting, a good place for the sewing machine (which currently lives on top of my desk - really bad ergonomics, and the light is terrible), a comfy chair to sit in and knit when I don't feel like being in the "fray" of the household, a nice table for cutting, blocking, etc.

I saw a great table concept in a recent Martha Stewart magazine. I don't remember which parts of this were in the article, and which parts are from my thinking about it later, but anyway what I want in my crafts room is a big table with a thick removable quilted pad on top. MS uses something like that to iron large items, and I believe the article said she (or her minions) fold clothes on it. You could also use a table like that for cutting out pattern pieces and blocking knitted items. I also envision having adjustable-height barstools or chairs so that I could do other crafts there.

To make this table perfect, it should be drop-leaf or otherwise "smooshable," since the size that I would want would take up a lot of room.

To do crafts involving glue or paint, you also need good ventilation - hubby did a bit of research on this for me and it isn't easy in a basement room. But doable. But to be honest I do most of those kinds of crafts with my daughter, and by the time we get the basement finished we'll probably be past that stage. My true love is fiber rather than paint & glue, so I may not need the extra ventilation.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  08:16:43 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing that I like is that our sewing machine is built right into a little table - the machine folds right down into the table when not in use. Saves plenty of space and uses no more than an end or night table.

If you are really into sewing and want ironing facilities plus space, look into the folding tables from IKEA or similar shops. The table lays flat against the wall when not needed, and when you have to use it, the thing just comes down.

Go to Top of Page

clicksticks
Warming Up

68 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  12:41:47 PM  Show Profile Send clicksticks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I store a lot of stuff in a rubbermaid tub. I also have several (lined) wicker baskets which I use to store WIPs. I also recently got a clear sweater storage hanger and it is really great! I think I may have to get a second...

My much neglected blog http://clicksticks.blogspot.com/
My patterns for sale http://clicksticks.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

NutScraps
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  10:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutScraps's Homepage Send NutScraps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are such good suggestions! I'm super excited! Thank you for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  11:57:20 AM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pitcher or vase with a "bouquet" of needles (old wood ones are especially attractive); a dedicated bookcase or set of shelves for knitting books and magazines; a large framed corkboard on which to pin inspirational stuff (photos of future projects, bits of yarn, swatches, knitting-themed art, etc.; clear glass jars to display your buttons if you have a collection.

Karen
My knitting gallery
Go to Top of Page

Mama Bear
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  12:54:38 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Bear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nutscraps,

Congratulations on the move/craft room! How fun! It's something I look forward to if our plans pan out, but it will be a while.

In the meantime I make do with a piano LOL... I call it my yarn cellar. I have posted this here before, and people may be tired of it, but since you specifically asked for ideas, and are new here, I'll take the risk of annoying people and post it again ;) I only have the one corner, and with an entire room I'm sure you will have more options, but I'll share in case anything sparks ideas.

Personally I love having my stash out where I can see it, touch it, and enjoy it. It's probably not as good for the yarn as air tight storage, but my daughter's and I dig in it enough to keep it well dusted off.

We take small left overs and make them into small balls or hanks and stick them in a big jar on top of the piano. The cubes are wine storage cubes, which is where the yarn cellar name came from.

As far as work tables go, you might want to check out the adjustable folding tables. I love the idea of being able to raise them up to standing height for work on blocking, cutting out fabric, etc, and still being able to use them at lower height for sitting. The one at Costco has 3 heights, so I could even drag it out and use it at holidays for the grandkids to sit at and eat or do crafts.

Best wishes and be sure and share a photo when you have your room all set up!

Mama Bear

[img]http://beartoes.com/images/bearbutton.jpg[/img]
My Blog:www.beartoes.com
Go to Top of Page

JoliGee
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  07:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoliGee's Homepage Send JoliGee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great thread. My daughter is moving into a larger bedroom and I'm taking her "nursery" room as my own. My problem is I want to knit., meditate,and practice yoga in there too. I like the idea of hanging sweater bags,since the room has a big closet. I wish y'all could post pictures of your rooms! I need to get some visual ideas.

http://knittenhoney.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LI Craftgal
Gabber Extraordinaire

382 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  1:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit LI Craftgal's Homepage Send LI Craftgal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JoliGee,
If you look at my blog you will see my craftroom. It was in the early stages but thats pretty much it.

Kelly

http://licraftgals-spot.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  5:33:23 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoliGee

My problem is I want to knit., meditate,and practice yoga in there too.

Unless the room is smaller than a closet, you should be able to do it quite easily. All you really need for knitting is a comfy place to sit and all you need for yoga is a clear flat space. Get rid of he junk and you'll be amazed at the space.

Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  12:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Nutscraps! Way to go on the new place. Congratulations and enjoy the planning of your new space.
I moved recently too and have a knitting room plus I have a large area of the basement for stash storage and leaving out the large blocking board.
In the knitting room I have great lighting (three huge windows and four halogens above). There is a comfy Morris recliner Going with the I Love Ikea thread here, I have an incredible Norrebo shelving unit for the books (plus I have four of the rattan baskets that are designed to go in it and I use those for current or upcoming projects).There's an IKEA Bjorkudden gateleg table. When not is use, both leaves are down and it takes up almost no room. There are six narrow but deep drawers that are great from knitting and sewing tools. Then there's an IKEA Alve computer desk, to help me access the internet. Everything goes behind closed doors when not in use. And I have yarn in baskets and project bags.
Put up some nice pictures, paintings, a bulletin board for inspirational things, flowers, nice needles on display in a vase, aromatherapy jar,.....jazz it up to your personal style.

I would say make the room practical first, and pretty second. All the best!

Arctic-mermaid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/MermaidKnits/
Go to Top of Page

babyduck
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  07:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit babyduck's Homepage Send babyduck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just put new shelves in my craft room and it really helped get the clutter off the desk. I use the desk for sewing and planning projects. I put my yarn in big plastic storage bins in the closet. It keeps it out of the way, but easy to pull out and look through when I'm ready to start a new project. Here's a link to a picture: http://straightupacres.blogspot.com/2007/02/craft-room.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?