Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Elann yarn vs. Knitpicks yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

damadedax
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  2:42:22 PM  Show Profile Send damadedax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious how these yarns compare. For example:

1. Elann Peruvian Baby Silk (or Cashmere) v. KP's Gloss
2. Elann Peruvian Highland Silk or Quechua v. KP's Elegance
3. Elann Peruvian Uros, Sierra Aran or Highland wool v. KP's Andean Silk or Wool of the Andes.

I think I like the color selection for Elann better, but want to know what people's experiences are. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Damadedax

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  2:53:17 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used the Baby Silk, Highland Silk, Quechua and Sierra Aran from Elann. I haven't used any of the KP's yarns that you list but I have used several of their fingering weight and lace weight yarns. My impression is that the Elann yarns are generally a higher quality. They are more robust, better spun. I also find their colors more appealing.
Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  3:15:40 PM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only advice is to get color cards in advance, if possible, for ANY knitpicks yarn you want to buy. The colors need to be seen in person, in my opinion!
Go to Top of Page

onemorerow
Gabber Extraordinaire

424 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  3:36:06 PM  Show Profile Send onemorerow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find knitpicks to be just alright...nothing special..and their colors are usually pretty limited..I was not crazy about the quality of their neeles either. I do like Elanns! Usually good quality, good prices, fast service,yes there Brittany Birch needles etc are also good. That is just my opinion, others on this forum like knitpicks.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  4:27:57 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baby silk is a wonderful soft yarn that is a pleasure to knit. When I made some mistakes I didn't even mind tinking it because as long as I was touching that yarn I was happy. I don't think KP has anything to compare. Just MHO

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  06:46:20 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like both Baby Silk and Gloss; the former is thinner and softer, IMO. Elegance is nice and soft but seems thicker than the specified DK weight. I wasn't crazy about Andean Silk which wasn't as soft knitted up. Maybe it's the difference between baby alpaca in the Elegance and superfine alpaca in the Andean Silk. I do agree that Elann has better and more color choices. Some of the Knitpick's solid colors are fine but their variegated colors can be ghastly combinations. Definitely get the Knitpicks color cards before doing a large purchase.
Go to Top of Page

Mary D.
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  08:07:58 AM  Show Profile Send Mary D. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to vote for elann. In my experience, their yarns come out ahead of Knitpicks in all 3 instances that you have listed.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  08:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have use of the Elann and some of the Knitpicks menition. I have enjoyed the Elann yarn way more than the Knitpicks.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

damadedax
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  11:06:59 AM  Show Profile Send damadedax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate everyone's comments. I think I will have to give Elann a try. On WiseNeedle KP's Wool of the Andes seems to get better reviews than Highland Wool. While everyone likes the feel/color, etc. of Highland Wool, they all complain that it pills like crazy.

Calamintha--you used Sierra Aran--did you have much trouble with pilling?

Damadedax
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  11:17:20 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elann has a better selection of colours and styles of yarn - but you know what?

I have never yet knit from a skein of Elann Yarn without finding at least one knot. And I have yet to find a knot in any skein of knitpicks I have used.

YMMV or I may just have bad luck with Elann.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  11:26:30 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've tried to order from Elann several times but could not successfully manage to get what I wanted into the shopping basket. I'd click on it, and I'd say it was in my shopping basket - but when I went to checkout, my shopping basket was empty (this was seconds, not hours or even minutes later). I've been through several iterations of this but eventually just gave up. I'd like to try them, but found my earlier experiences there just too frustrating.

Has anybody else had this problem? I've had it in both Firefox and IE. I never bothered to contact Elann because, you know, I could buy the yarn I wanted someplace else and who needs the aggravation.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  11:47:13 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had that problem. You should contact their customer service email. They have excellent service and I'm sure they would try to help you.
Go to Top of Page

noramcd
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  1:27:18 PM  Show Profile Send noramcd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really odd. My shopping basket gets saved forever; it's there even after the yarn itself has disappeared. You need to create an account though, so maybe that's it?
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:17:01 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MMario

I have never yet knit from a skein of Elann Yarn without finding at least one knot. And I have yet to find a knot in any skein of knitpicks I have used.

YMMV or I may just have bad luck with Elann.

Interesting. I don't recall ever finding a knit in the Highland Chunky I knit a felted purse out of, but I'm crocheting a baby blanket out of Shine Sport and some of the blue balls (just the blues, not the purples, I don't know why) have had 2 splices in the same 50 gram ball.

So milage apparently does vary. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:25:12 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I created an account. I've tried on two or maybe even three separate occasions to order stuff - but NOTHING would go into my shopping basket. It was the oddest thing. It kept saying, "yadda yadda yarn added to shopping basket" - but then, it wasn't there.

I don't want to hijack this thread though ... so next time I want to order something there, I'll just call. I really would like to try their house-brand yarn. As others have said, the colors look a lot more appealing than KnitPicks.

That's always been my big concern with KnitPicks - the colors are just, I dunno, not nice. I have certainly bought a lot of their yarn and have knit with it and been satisfied with the results. But I've also been compelled to shop elsewhere after being unable to find colors that I liked in the yarn that I wanted to use. Elann's colors are more appealing.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:45:19 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by damadedax

Calamintha--you used Sierra Aran--did you have much trouble with pilling?

No, I haven't but I used it to make a scarf for my husband and we live in a warm weather climate so it hasn't been used much yet. So I don't know how it would behave in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

damadedax
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:57:10 PM  Show Profile Send damadedax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Calamintha. Looks like I will just need to make the plunge. The colors look so rich. My DH will die if I order any more yarn, but there are worse addictions in life. What I need is a yarn compactor (kind of like a trash compactor--but we all know that yarn is the furthest thing from trash) so that it doesn't take up so much room in our closet. Then it would be less noticible if I happen to slip in just a few more skeins.

Ingrid
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  3:27:09 PM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moma Cat, you have to be logged in to put things in Elann's shopping cart. I think it gives you a message saying that though, so maybe that's not your problem.

KS
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  3:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't used the yarns you mentioned but I have used quite a bit of Elann's sock yarn both patterned and solid. It's every bit as good as Regia and yarns of that type. I'm actually hoarding a lot of the solid colors because they offered them once and so far they haven't come back. Their colors are beautiful.

I have not used Knitpicks yarn because I don't think their colors are so great and I have read a lot of complaints about all the Knitpicks products on KR although apparently they have good customer service if you have a problem.

GFTC of NYC

the pictures tell the story
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

Danae
Chatty Knitter

Australia
124 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  8:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Danae's Homepage Send Danae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've knit a lot of socks, and the ones I knit for my husband with the Elann sock yarn have lasted the longest out of all the socks I've knit by a *mile*! I have no idea why. I've only knit socks for my daughter with Knitpicks sock yarn, and they're only recently finished, so I can't compare them yet.
I knit the Vanalinn gloves from AGoL with Elann's Peruvian Baby Cashmere, and I love them. I haven't tried many of the Knitpicks yarns, because they are so hard to get for those of us not in the US/Canada.
Another point for Elann and against Knitpicks is that Elann will ship internationally, and Knitpicks won't!!

Donna
http://www.randomknits.net/
Go to Top of Page

clicksticks
Warming Up

68 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  8:21:12 PM  Show Profile Send clicksticks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't used KP yarn at all but I thought I would chime in to say I knit a sweater with the Elann highland wool last fall and although it does pill, I don't think it's any worse than the majority of other sweaters I've made (including some out of much more expensive yarn). I have already worn the sweater a LOT this season and washed it a couple of times and it is still looking great. I was also really impressed with how accurate the colors I ordered were in terms of color on screen matching color of yarn. The sweater I was making involved seven different colors (you can see a pic here: http://clicksticks.blogspot.com/2006/12/lots-of-photos-today.html) including several different greens (which are always tricky to match), so I was REALLY happy to get such close matches with the yarn I ordered. I used the elann yarn for this project mainly because of the colors available (there was no way KP was going to be able to provide what I needed, and the color selection of basic wool yarns at my LYS was unfortunately not up to the task either), and if I need a lot of specific colors for a project again Elann will definitely be on the list as a possible source.

My much neglected blog http://clicksticks.blogspot.com/
My patterns for sale http://clicksticks.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by