Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting Obsession - is there a cure?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

v-allknit
Seriously Hooked

India
741 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  10:38:37 PM  Show Profile Send v-allknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
great i am not alone. last night i finished sewing DH sweater, now only neck is to be made. and i remember him saying few days back, u have got hooked to the net and some how it has to decrease.

tell u guys i am tottaly addicted to knitting and KR

it feels so differnt and difficult when u dont have needles and yarn with you. my mom says take a break but i dont want to.

shruti

My finished projects

My blog

Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  06:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v-allknit

tell u guys i am tottaly addicted to knitting and KR

it feels so differnt and difficult when u dont have needles and yarn with you. my mom says take a break but i dont want to.
shruti

If I have to take a break from knitting, it is because I've been working to hard (mentally) on a difficult pattern or project (much like lace or tomething like that). So, instead of taking a break, I switch to a mindless knitting project (or spindling) which I always have going. Take a break - not on your life!!
Go to Top of Page

Sharyn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  06:58:37 AM  Show Profile Send Sharyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have struggled with the knitting addiction for over 20 years; I am usually at my "worst" when I have an enabler near me. About 10 years ago I actually gave away a lot of my stash, thinking I would never knit again - I thought I was cured. But I did not give away my needles and that last ball of yarn - thinking I might need them some day for a quick fix. When another enabler (aka knitting buddy) appeared in my life about a year ago, I fell off the wagon. Out came the needles, the last ball of yarn, and quickly my stash grew. Then I found a whole new group of enablers (KR) and now I need not worry about knitting buddies ever again. I spend every spare minute knitting, sufing the net for new patterns, reading KR - anything I can get my hands on.
My name is Sharyn, and I'm a knitaholic.
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  08:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, there's no cure, 'specially when there are people like me around to egg you on ;)

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  09:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a cure?? Lords, I hope not!

>g<

Jo
Go to Top of Page

bookfaery
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  09:16:02 AM  Show Profile Send bookfaery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, okay, I admit it. I don't really WANT to be cured!![:00] What I really want are the winning Lotto numbers so I can abandon the 'brary for a lovely alpaca ranch somewhere, and spend all my time knitting and reading and petting the pretty alpacas.

AuntyNin, you are SUCH a bad influence! *grins*
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  10:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's definitely burnout, though 'cure' is probably not the way I'd term that. It happens with any obsessive hobby--one day you just don't want to deal with it. I think knitting has a leg up on some other hobbies because you can just drop it in a drawer until you're inspired again (unlike, say, showing dogs, breeding fish, gardening, or anything you're expected to "show up' for, like, I don't know, bingo or running a website).
So make sure you challenge yourself (but not too much), that you're realistic about things like yarn budget and garment fit, that you keep the rest of your life running smoothly ... and hopefully you won't experience this 'cure' for a long, long time, and then only temporarily!

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  10:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, yes, being a "bad influence" is my purpose in life - just ask any of The Splinters!

On second thought, don't. ;-)

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

FLknitter
Chatty Knitter

316 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  5:27:12 PM  Show Profile Send FLknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have almost the same story! I was also crocheting and my friend taught me knit! I have all the same knitting "symptoms" as you! I thankful for a such a great hobby (and obsession)! So glad to know there's others out there!
Go to Top of Page

kat1265
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  10:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kat1265's Homepage Send kat1265 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! No, there is no hope. But you've given me mine. I'm a crazed knitter that just purchased a how-to book on crocheting today. I'd long resisted the urge to learn because I was afraid that it would be a disease like knitting. Now I can safely look forward to adding those cute crochet details to my knitting projects, safe in the idea that all yarn arts are an obsession and I shouldn't look at them separately. And, BTW, when you find yourself buying more Rubbermaid containers for your yarn and making more room in the closet for your stash, you're truly in trouble.

Kim

I'm blogging!
http://fcfwknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mykidzmom5@yahoo.com
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  10:50:28 PM  Show Profile Send mykidzmom5@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm so glad to be among others like myself. If I'm not knitting, I'm reading about it or surfing for it. My husband is constantly amazed that I can't go anywhere without finding another knitter to talk to about my obsession. If I leave home without a project I almost feel like I've Ieft without a critical article of clothing! I plan all of my trips--long and short--around the LYS. My knitting group is always asking me if there's a shop in a particular city or area around Seattle. Usually, I know and have been there at least once. It's really sad.
Go to Top of Page

ArtLady
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  03:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtLady's Homepage Send ArtLady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Bookfaery,

A Swedish knitting designer (Elsebeth Lavold)told us that there is evidence that the very act of knitting helps sort out and reorganize the clutter that accumulates in our brain during the day.

So knit in peace...knowing that whilst you knit...your brain is being re-organized and put in order!

The act of knitting is actually good for you!

Art Lady
Go to Top of Page

EirwenJ
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  04:48:47 AM  Show Profile Send EirwenJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry about the addiction, when I read that you were prepared to trade in your Librarian's degree for 2 alpacas, the only though that went thro my head was " I wonder what colour their fleece will be".I don't care that I am addicted, do what I do and just revel in every glorious yarn filled moment.Unless they change universal laws this is legally addictive.
Go to Top of Page

vibj
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  05:34:20 AM  Show Profile Send vibj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So great to know there are others out there, I started five years ago because I wanted a shawl my neighbor said she would make for me but at her rate I figured I would not live so long... so I taught myself (past crochet person who never really liked the look).. it has taken over in every way mentioned, stashes that are my delight, creating my own prism type balls for wonderful what comes next projects, needles (2 cases full on my way to 3), LYS in 5 states that know me by name... husband fishes I yarn shop... Knitting is my passion, addiction, hobby and I will always bless the day I began..Thanks for letting me know I am not the only knitaholic!!
Go to Top of Page

barbaydos@aol.com
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  07:04:10 AM  Show Profile Send barbaydos@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep knitting. No guilts. It's great. Very stress reducing. I always have intricate projects and just busy projects going. Each project has it's own tote. I love the clear plastic bags with zippers that blankets come in. They're marvelous and you can see into it. If I take one with me it goes into a nice tote bag. Then at some point I will finish a project. Enjoy it, don't fret.

Go to Top of Page

JannyW
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  07:05:33 AM  Show Profile Send JannyW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, I hope not! It keeps my hands busy so I don't eat (have lost 43 lbs!), helps me deal with stress, and opens a lot of conversations in public places. I'm definitely addicted :)

~~Jan~~

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-- John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  07:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Praise the Lord forknitting!! that is all I can say!!! It is such a joyous wonder!!

And I totally agree -make sure everything else in your life is balanced and the addiction of knitting should be just fine!!!
Go to Top of Page

BastetG4
Chatty Knitter

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  08:27:09 AM  Show Profile Send BastetG4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was totally addicted when I started in the winter of '04, but that's how I tend to be. I find something new to get obsessed about, I learn a lot about it as quickly as possible, then I often lose interest when the next new thing comes along. The surprising thing is that I haven't lost interest in knitting. I don't do as much of it in the summer, but I am definitely still knitting more than 2 years later! The friend who taught me is also still knitting, so it's not just a trendy fad for the under-40 set.

I made a baby blanket for my new nephew from my own pattern for Christmas--when I showed it to my best friend, he said, "You're getting good at this." LOL--I think they all thought I would get over it by now. I'm not as obsessed as say, the Yarn Harlot, but I can't imagine giving it up.

--
I'm getting comfortable with ripping.
Go to Top of Page

flickerknitter
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  09:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit flickerknitter's Homepage Send flickerknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no cure for the knitting crazies! I read about knitting, I knit, collect yarn, and dream about it. When things get a bit dicey in my life I pull out Knitter's Almanac by Eliz. Zimmermann, read a couple of chapters and I get calm about my knitting obsession but there are no alpacas in my future sorry to say. Just finished a lace vest that accompanied me to Bhutan, The Republic of Georgia, the No. Cheyenne and Hopi Reservations and was a great hit at our annual Tobacco Root Garden Club party this week! It was a year long project. Knitting is the common thread of sanity in my life!

flickerkniter
Go to Top of Page

materavis
New Pal

40 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  09:17:54 AM  Show Profile Send materavis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree with all of you. Don't want a cure. Felted Bag is right--when the stress is off, you discover other wonderful things, like gardening and baking. Remember: You are not alone! When I finished graduate school (Masters in critical-care nursing, with a husband,unrenovated victorian house, and a 1 year old. What was I thinking!) I was sure I must have had a nervous breakdown, just couldn't figure out when it happened. That was 15 years ago. I now know that I survived because I kept my knitting and chocolate chips in my briefcase at all times. Had a wonderful time ripping that sweater and "undoing" 2 miserable years. Enjoy your knitting; like all passions, it will wax and wane. But keep it if it gives you joy.
One warning, from (too much)experience. Don't knit when you should be sleeping! It's hard not to be depressed when you're fatigued.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?