Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting Obsession - is there a cure?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bookfaery
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  1:45:00 PM  Show Profile Send bookfaery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After years and years of crocheting and saying, "Oh no, I don't knit", I picked up the needles last March, determined to learn. Fast forward 10 months. I have a growing yarn stash, library of knitting books and collection of needles. I have a bunch of FOs under my belt. I've conquered the scariness that is DPNs. I've drooled over sock yarn, alpaca/silk, and cashmere. I want to own an alpaca. I know how to pronounce qiviut.

I spend loads of time online, reading knitting forums (like this one!) and knitting blogs and looking at pretty yarn and researching patterns. I have at least six UFOs on the needles as we speak. I wake up thinking about knitting. I DREAM about knitting. I think I might have a ... problem.

I was out of work on mental health leave (literally) in November and December. Needless to say, knitting took up a fair amount of my time. Now that I'm back at work, I find myself wishing I didn't have to work anymore, so I could spend more time knitting.

Good grief, this knitting obsession is madness!! Does it get better? Or only worse? And here's the interesting thing ... I was never, NEVER this obsessed about crocheting, although I do enjoy it.

I think I want to trade in my brand-new librarian degree for a couple of alpacas ...

[:00]

qwerty
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  2:02:01 PM  Show Profile Send qwerty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we realy want a cure for our knitting fever? I'm don't think I do. I enjoy beeing crazy about knitting[:00]Been this way for nearly 60yrs don't see why I should change now.

Happy knitting. Maggie
Go to Top of Page

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  2:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It gets bigger!! Love to knit, love to teach knitting, love to shop for yarn, just plain love everything about it!!!!! It's a wonderful addiction that actually produces positive side-effects (beside the actual knitted product).

Christy B.
"I run with scissors and eat paste."

I am no longer a blog virgin. Visit my new blog!!!
http://hissyknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  2:28:11 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting encompasses so many things that it can keep you busy for a long time. There's entrelac, mitered knitting, cables, lace, and so and so on. Then if that's not enough you can spin and dye too.

I worked for 20+ plus years in an academic library and would have been happy to trade it all in for 2 alpacas also!
Go to Top of Page

knitwitt
Seriously Hooked

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  2:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitwitt's Homepage Send knitwitt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fortunately, there is no cure. :) As long as you're knitting happily, I say go with it.

Christy B. is right - knitting is good for you!

--Jennifer

http://impatientknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Knittlin
Warming Up

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  3:14:15 PM  Show Profile Send Knittlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Knitting Obsession - is there a cure?
I hope not! ;)

I'm just like you, Bookfaery ~ crocheted for years before I picked up knitting fifteen years ago. I'm SO glad I did. I much prefer it to crochet now.

~ Linda ~

Love thy neighbor ... and if he happens to be tall, debonair and devastating, it will be that much easier. ~ Mae West
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  3:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, guys, you forgot about the wonderful people you meet on-line in places like this!

Come visit my blog...
http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  3:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fleegle, totally agree. I have met some of the nicest people on the KR.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  3:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm another knitting librarian. I started knitting 20 years ago (as therapy for dissertation-induced stress levels!) and my obsession increased over the years, especially once knitting showed up on the web. It is NOT showing signs of abating!

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Knittlin
Warming Up

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  5:05:12 PM  Show Profile Send Knittlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fleegle

Hey, guys, you forgot about the wonderful people you meet on-line in places like this!
Yeah, all the enablers. I just put in my second online yarn store order for $162 ~ first was $241 last month. All because y'all twisted my arms 'til I thought they would break.

~ Linda ~

Love thy neighbor ... and if he happens to be tall, debonair and devastating, it will be that much easier. ~ Mae West
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  5:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woman!!! I hope there is no cure!!! Because I would go mad!! Knitting keeps me from going mad.

Now, all kidding aside - Bookfaery? ARe you serious?? You say that you had to take some time off for mental health. My question: did the knitting help??
Go to Top of Page

bookfaery
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  5:20:53 PM  Show Profile Send bookfaery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I did have to take time off for mental health, for real. I have, let's see if I can remember the exact diagnosis, "major depressive disorder recurrent" and "panic/anxiety disorder". I spent the end of the summer scrambling to finish a 200 hour internship and the last class for my degree, whilst working full time in an academic library. Not to mention my 7 year old daughter and my husband like to see me now and again. By mid-October, my brain said "no more", and I spent 9 weeks at home.

Knitting DOES help, quite a bit. It's very calming and relaxing, especially if I'm not struggling to finish up a gift! The trouble is, now I'm back at work, and I'd MUCH rather be knitting! I guess I need to remind myself that working will help support my yarn habit [:00]

And I'm sure this is all waaaaaay more information than anyone really wanted :-)
Go to Top of Page

knitbird
Warming Up

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  5:32:21 PM  Show Profile Send knitbird a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think knitting is one of the best of all therapies! I'm sure your family were glad you took some time for a deep mental breath, plus think of all the great knitting skills you gained in that time!

I often will wish I was home knitting when I have something really great to work on. I wish knitting was more PC where I work!
Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  5:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other day my husband said he thought I was in a better mood since I started knitting. I must've been unthinkably difficult before, then (I'm thinking).

I am so totally addicted to yarn. I want to go yarn shopping, and I don't need to. At all. Many projects in the works. Fortunately I finish most of them. But still.

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  5:55:05 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of us want to be cured.

This brings up a question. Is knitting more addictive than crocheting?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  6:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope there is no cure! I think it's just about the most fun thing you can do with your clothes on, LOL!

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Kettle Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  6:32:29 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The closest thing to a 'cure' is a 12 step program, but that only has a 5% sucess rate...

Can you imagine a world without rhetorical questions?
Go to Top of Page

Empress of Yarn
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  8:36:54 PM  Show Profile Send Empress of Yarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NO, no cure. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cherryl

Hi, My name is Cherryl and I'm a Yarn-aholic
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  8:45:27 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with others -- who wants a cure? Not I! Today was a stay at home, sit, knit, and read day.

Housework can wait. I mean, what's important in our lives?

Margie

Silly Cone Valley, CA
I live in a crazy place -- I fit right in
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2752 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  8:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cure? Knit more.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  9:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before retiring I had one of those really stressful jobs that everyone thinks is glamorous but really is just a quick way to get high blood pressure. I found that the greater my stress at work, the more I was knitting and wanting to knit. My brain's way of saying "hey, chill out." When I retired and my stress went way down, I took an interest in doing other things besides knitting.

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com
www.heritagerecipes.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/felted-bags/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000