Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 LH carry: got it!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  5:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just had to share. Two days ago I taught myself to rib in the round on socks, and for the first time ribbing is fun and fast! I've been working with a LH carry for about a month now, and it is wondrous. It took me a year to get around to doing it, and I've been knitting since 1964. You do the math. Anyway, I'm enjoying knitting so much more now.

Ceil

stellal
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
956 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  6:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit stellal's Homepage Send stellal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well done, and welcome to the left side.

you are right, with the right technique ribbing is fast and fun, two words i never thought i would say when i learn't over 25 years ago. I'm even contemplating a ribby cardie!

Stella

I used to follow patterns, now I just make my own up as i go. Most times life is to short to read other peoples instructions - other times I really really wish I had. And my almost new blog www.Knitknitfrog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  7:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's wonderful when nuscle memory kicks in and it becomes effortless. Alas, I still don't care much for ribbing.

Come visit my blog...
http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  06:13:39 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that you have the left carry down, try stranded colour knitting with a colour in each hand! Just remember to watch your gauge. Socks are a good project for this since they are by nature done in the round, are small, and don't need steeks.

If you like ribbing now, just think what seed and moss sts will be like! Becoming comfortable with a new technique is alway liberating, and well worth the effort it takes to learn.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  06:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats!!!!

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  07:02:40 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is a LH carry? Is it just knitting Continental? Thanks.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  10:01:01 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Azblueskies, I see a LH carry as anytime you are working with your harn held in your left hand. This could be for continental, combination, left handed throwing, left handed lever, or working with 2 colours - one in each hand. Because Ceil says that ribbing is now easier, I assumed she was not throwing or levering the yarn, and so is using either the contintental or combined method.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  11:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
azblueskies & socks4all,

socks4all is right, I don't throw the yarn any more (in fact, what I was doing with my RH wasn't even throwing; I was really picking it up!) Someone also told me that the right hand/arm doesn't have to move, the left arm rotates to feed the yarn into each loop. I am finding more and more that there is some truth to this; however, a knitter doesn't want to be stiff anywhere. (I study body mapping, and this has come into play big time. I was hurting myself knitting, and now the pain is close to gone. BUT--it wasn't that way when I first switched to LH carry. I've really had to study this, and am just now finding the joy in knitting.) Anyway, I guess I've come up with combined knitting, from the books I've referred to.

And I should say that this shift began because of color-stranding. I've now seen an Internet video showing how to carry two yarns in the LH, and am eager to give that a try as well, when the situation next presents itself.

Very excited about all of this. I'm nearly done knitting the cuffs on both socks after starting just two days ago. The cuffs used to take a week!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  12:27:58 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to try this! The yarn is always in my right hand and I welcome any suggestions for making it easier and/or quicker. Thanks for posting, Ceil.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  5:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
azblue,

I really think you're gonna like it. Wish I'd known about it sooner!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Trout Lily
Chatty Knitter

172 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  8:07:24 PM  Show Profile Send Trout Lily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is "left handed lever"?
Go to Top of Page

Trout Lily
Chatty Knitter

172 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  7:55:49 PM  Show Profile Send Trout Lily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asking again, what is "left handed lever"?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe