Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Shawl dimensions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  2:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's very hard to find shawl dimensions (I'm about to knit a prayer shawl. One article I have on the Jewish type says the length is from wrist to wrist when arms are outstretched. That's reasonable, but what about width?

Anybody out there have some general dimensions? Thanks!

Ceil

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  2:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ... it depends on what you want!

Personally, I aim for full wingspan (tip of middle finger to tip of middle finger) in terms of length, to keep the shawl on my shoulders.
But width is much more personal. Do you want it to hit your waist? Obscure your bottom? Just cover your shoulders? Measure the distance you think you want and add a bit to make up for having part of that width over your shoulders, and use your pattern gauge and the stitch count in the repeat to guess at a good number of repeats to do. It works.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  12:44:11 PM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal preference is tip of fingers to tip of fingers for width. I like triangles best, obtuse triangles, the bottom point > 90 degrees. This makes the point less than 1/2 the width. I like the shawl to be down my back but not a lot of fabric over my arms. So, you want dimensions? 60" wide by 24 inches deep.
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  1:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree w/those about the length. From tip to tip (or if you don't have that, their height is approximatley the same, unless they are on the fluffy side, then add a bit more). However, I *hate* triangle shawls. I like the rounder ones, as triangles seem to point to an area I'd like to avoid people looking at. [whatever]

If I were making one for someone, I'd ask them, if that's not an option, I'd do enough so it doesn't look like a scarf. :D

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy my Blog http://www.xanga.com/cozystitches
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth