Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Stupid Lifeline tricks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  05:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am knitting the Peacock shawl and was being driven mad by having to constantly move the markers. Here are two methods for painless lifelines. The second one is more generally useful.

I use #20 crochet cotton or silk buttonhole thread, which is smoother,for the lifeline.

1. If you have a set of Boye interchangeable needles, you can use them to insert a lifeline by putting a length of thread through the hole and sliding the stitches to the other end of the needle over the thread. I don't enjoy knitting with these needles, so I use them to only knit a single row when I want to insert a lifeline, then I switch back to my KnitPicks size 3, which is not, alas, interchangeable. The Boyes go down to size 2, so they are immensely useful for this. I just hate those stiff, nasty cords.

Of course, if you are using a larger needle and have the KnitPicks interchangeable set, you can just use that.

2. This trick is so simple that I am amazed that nobody thought of it before. I took a length of silk buttonhole thread and half-hitched it around the cord of my KnitPicks needle about four times. Leave a good length to pull. You can also tie a tiny knot. The thread I use is thin enough not be be a problem.

Okay, now slide your stitches onto the needle itself. Oh look! The cord hangs up at the join! The stitches slide right over it! Oh goodie! When all the stitches are on the needle (very squished together), delicately pull the end of the lifeline and tie to the other end. Slide the stitches back on the cable and rejoice! No need to thread the lifeline and work through the stitches.

Up next, when I get a chance to write everything down, are painless left-leaning decreases. No stitch slipping! No flipping to another needle! One-step decreases! Yes!

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  07:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My stupid lifeline trick (LOVED YOURS, FLEEGLE!!) is to use lifelines in NON-LACE projects. For example, if I'm making a top down sweater and trying it on as I go, I'll slip the stitches onto a thread to try it on, but when I put it back on the needles, I leave the thread there as a lifeline. That way, if I mess up at the next try-on, I know I can easily rip back to the last place that fit properly!

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  08:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I confess I have never used a lifeline for anything other than lace. If I need to try on a sweater, I slip half the stitches to another circular (a gigantic two-circ sock thingie). Plus, I constantly measure my sweaters against one that I know fits, so I admit that I've never had to frog a sweater. Guess that makes me a weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  09:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  09:39:03 AM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that is a good idea. I haven't used a lifeline yet but I keep filing away all these great ideas for when I should start using them.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  10:07:59 AM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a great idea except when I've got 600 stitches on the needles I can't quite picture sliding them up on the needle part.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  11:09:31 AM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The downside to the Boye technique is that any stitch markers you're using stay on the lifeline as well. If you use lots of stitch markers, you'll need lots MORE to use this technique.

It's very easy, though. :-) Good reason to have lots of stitch markers...
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  5:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So true about the markers. What I do is alternate lifelines, so I just need two sets. I pull out the first one after I have set the second one.

And no, the trick doesn't work if you have 600 stitches. But for smaller projects, it's a useful technique.
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  06:06:31 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can use the split markers and remove them for re-use.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  09:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Momma78239

My stupid lifeline trick (LOVED YOURS, FLEEGLE!!) is to use lifelines in NON-LACE projects. For example, if I'm making a top down sweater and trying it on as I go, I'll slip the stitches onto a thread to try it on, but when I put it back on the needles, I leave the thread there as a lifeline. That way, if I mess up at the next try-on, I know I can easily rip back to the last place that fit properly!

Yay, I'm not the only one! I actually am using one on a sock right now - I've been having trouble with the heel, and after a couple of near-disasters frogging back, thought, "Hey, I wonder if a lifeline would help?" So now there is one at the point where I think I need the heel to start.

Lifelines tend to mock me, though. If I remember to put one in, I won't need it. If I forget or don't think I'll need one and don't put one in, I'll be making mistakes and having to rip back every five minutes.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

fleurdog
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  4:47:12 PM  Show Profile Send fleurdog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found that fishing line works great for my lifelines. It's thin enough to thread through the tightening hole on my knitpicks options needles, it's really strong and smooth and you can use it again and again without fraying.

Sometimes I loosely tie beaded stitchmarkers to the ends of the lifeline. This helps prevent the line from slipping out when the rows are getting really long and bunched up.

And I've recently started using 2 lines - I put the new one in before removing the old one. It's saved me many a frogging session!

"Waddaya expect me to do, sit home and knit?"

-line from film noir classic
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  02:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still thinking about easy lifelines for big projects. Seems to me that a jeweler should be able to drill a hole in a skinny knitting needle. I'll have to make some calls today...

Come visit my blog...
http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid_in_Sweden
Chatty Knitter

112 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  02:43:19 AM  Show Profile Send Ingrid_in_Sweden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flossing thread is great for lifelines - you can even get minty ones!!!!
Go to Top of Page

PamelaA3
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  12:27:18 PM  Show Profile Send PamelaA3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dental floss has been know to cut fine lace yarns and threads. So beware when using these fine weights.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  1:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't use it--I use buttonhole silk.

Come visit my blog...
Go to Top of Page

The Purloined Letter
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  2:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Purloined Letter's Homepage Send The Purloined Letter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Fleegle! I just tried tying the thread to the KnitPicks options and knitting the row. Works beautifully! Great tip.

http://thepurloinedletter.blogspot.com
Quoth the Maven, "Knit some more!"
Go to Top of Page

fleegle
Permanent Resident

Japan
1507 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  02:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit fleegle's Homepage Send fleegle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This trick is just so low-tech that I when I first tried it I just stared at the knitting for a minute trying to decide if it was really working.

Come visit my blog...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.