Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 ? favorite needles??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Denise223
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  11:54:31 AM  Show Profile Send Denise223 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone!
I'm a brand new knitter (almost 46 ), and I'd like to know, what needles are your personal favorites?
I have #10 Clover (bamboo) & a #8 Addis Turbo (24"). Right now I'm working on a scarf with the Addis.
I've taken a peek at the Lantern Moon needles, and really.....they look beautiful! (I love pretty woods).
With sooooooooo many needles to choose from, how does one make a decision? Are there any places that let you try out different needles (while you're in their store, etc...?)
I'll check the other threads here..

Thanks for your help!

Peace & Love,
Denise

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  1:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you've chosen wisely....I too tend to stick to either Addi-Turbo's or Clover bamboo myself. Both are lightweight which you'll learn to appreciate on a large project. Good luck to you and your knitting adventures...your're going to love it!

Krista

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't .... you are right."
-Henry Ford

2006 FO 22 WIP 3
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  4:46:23 PM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favorite metal circular: Knitpicks Options followed closely by Addi Turbo.
Favorite metal straight: Inox.
Favorite bamboo (straight, circular and DPN): Plymouth--I find them a lot smoother than Clover.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  5:38:47 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you need to try out different ones to find the ones that suit you. And you may find that you prefer different needles with different types of yarn. Maybe you can find a yarn store that will let you test drive some different brands.

Lots of people love Addis in circular needles. I find their tips are a bit too blunt for the type of knitting that I do the most of (lace) so the ones that I use most often are Inox Grays. They have very sharp tips and only cost about half as much as Addis. They have an enamel finish that is not as slick as metal. Inox also makes another line of circulars that are called Inox Express which have a metal finish that are very like Addis except with sharper tips.

I sometimes use Crystal Palace Bamboo circular needles. They are my second favorite, again, because they have the sharpest tips of any of the bamboo needles.

I rarely use straight needles anymore but my favorites are Brittany Birch. I find circulars to be more versatile so I tend to buy them rather than straight needles. I also use 2 circs to knit in the round instead of dpns (double point needles).
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  5:45:09 PM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denise, I think the choice of needles is really a personal one. The best way to find the best ones for you is to keep trying different ones. I've got lots of types of needles, from really cheap ($1.50/set of dpns) to expensive ($20/set of dpns). Each one has a place. The ones I'd be most likely to say I don't like are the Addi stainless steel small sized dpns. By that I mean size 0 or smaller. They have a place though. I've been working on a Latvian mitten for a couple of years using Henry's Attic Kona on less than size 0 needles. For that purpose they really are a good choice. I don't like them because they are heavy, but that makes them tough enough to survive the process.

I've got some Lantern Moon dpns that I really like. You won't regret them!

Your LYS might let you try out needles before you buy. That varies by shop.

Some other brands that haven't been mentioned that I like are Crystal Palace bamboo dpns, Colonial rosewood needles & Brittany Birch. Addi makes a bamboo circular that's nice too, though the join isn't so hot for really fine yarns.

The only needle I can think of that I'd never buy again is Crystal Palace bamboo circulars. They have a join that swivals which is nice, but that little feature makes the yarn get hung up on the join.

Have fun finding your favorite!

KS

Go to Top of Page

WhiteStar
Chatty Knitter

199 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  9:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit WhiteStar's Homepage Send WhiteStar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
#1 - KnitPicks Options (their only flaw is there is no 16"...)
#2 - Addi Turbos (if only they were pointier...)
#3 - Bryspun Double points in the really short length (3") size 3.5 mm and under.

Anne in Colorado
http://whitestarsams.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rohanknitter
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  11:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rohanknitter's Homepage Send Rohanknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I've found that what I like varies with what I'm knitting, which means not only am accumulating needles in various sizes, but the same size in different materials. I love my addi turbos for anything worsted weight, but not so much for fingering weight...they are too blunt for me. Love my bryspuns pointy tips for fine work/fine weights, but not so much if making a cotton dishcloth. The only needles I really don't care for at all that I've tried are the aluminum straights that I learned with.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  6:00:47 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we all have our personal favorites...it's really a personal choice. And it also depends on the type of yarn you are working with. I always hated Addis until I worked with a Rowan Tweed Chunky yarn. With that yarn, I really appreciated the great slide and quickness of the Addis. I also love the Knit Picks circs. For bamboo needles, I love the Addi Naturas. Have fun experimenting to find your favorites.

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

Denise223
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  1:48:25 PM  Show Profile Send Denise223 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you ALL sooooooo much for responding to my question. I really appreciate it very much!

Right now I'm working on a scarf with manos #109, and using Addis size 8. After this, I'd really love to knit a sweater. But first, I'll have to pick a pattern (I look best in a V-neck), and then the yarn.....
A sweater would be so much fun to make -- but, they all look so difficult!

Have a peaceful day!!

Denise
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  5:21:07 PM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denise, a basic sweater isn't that difficult. It's just a long project. You don't say what other projects you have knitted, so I'm going to suggest a hat as your next project. It will include most of the skills you will need to make a sweater.

Can you knit, purl, increase & decrease? Cast on & cast off too. If so, you really have most of the skills you need to make a sweater. I'd suggest a simple one to start! A heavily cabled pattern or lace isn't the ideal first sweater.

It's been a while since I've looked at it, but I think Sally Melville's The Knit Stitch has some garter stitch ones in it if you don't want to purl. The Purl Stitch has some that are just a bit more complicated. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

KS
Go to Top of Page

beachknit
New Pal

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  05:31:48 AM  Show Profile Send beachknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Denise
I'm a new knitter too, at 48. On my last visit to my Mom I went to the local LYS in Kalamazoo (Stitching Memories-of which I sing high praise) I asked them for a couple of suggestions for books that might be good to start a library with. She suggested 'The Knit Stitch' and 'The Purl Stitch' by Sally Melville. I bought them both because who can resist splurging in a yarn store. And I absolutely love them both. I am a self taught knitter, and my knitting has improved leaps and bounds with these books. There are several easy sweaters in both. There is no fancy stitching, lacework, etc. just beautiful patterns to show off the simple knit stitch and stockinette. There are some good hats and scarfs also.
They also suggested the "knitters companion' which just got reviewed in the last newsletter. I carry it everywhere I take my knitting and find it very helpful.
As for needles, I haven't tried that many yet. I like Brysun straights and circs as I have a little stiffness in my hands and shoulders. I don't care for the clover bamboo circs. I also have some Boye. I will try others as my knitting progresses.
Paula
Go to Top of Page

Denise223
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  08:15:04 AM  Show Profile Send Denise223 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KS -- Right now I'm knitting a scarf. I have learned to cast on, knit, purl, increase & decrease and bind off. But.....I am really going very slowly with this scarf, because I don't really "get" the increase/decrease - and I'm afraid to make a mistake. But, I do have a couple of places I can go if I need help.
A hat definitely would be a great next project for me ! Thank you so much for the suggestion - I really appreciate it!

Paula -- Another new knitter -- YAY ! Thank you to you & KS for the "Sally Melville" book suggestions. I just checked all 3 out @ Amazon and they look like "must haves" for my collection. (The only book I have right now is "Stitch 'n B*itch").

quote:
I am a self taught knitter, and my knitting has improved leaps and bounds with these books. There are several easy sweaters in both. There is no fancy stitching, lacework, etc. just beautiful patterns to show off the simple knit stitch and stockinette. There are some good hats and scarfs also.

That's awesome, Paula . I really look forward to getting these books. Hopefully my knitting will improve as well.

And, I checked out the "Knitter's companion". Yet another book that looks great.... So many things ....

Thanks again!

Peace & Love,

Denise

Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  10:19:44 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the advice to wait on making a sweater. I made a cabled vest as my first project back in the 70's. It was a beginners class, and after we learned all the techniques, we dug in. It was a huge project, and my skills increased as I went along...problem is, that showed. As a beginner, I would encourage you to try a lot of different things before you jump into a project like a sweater. Try different styles of hats using different yarns and different techniques. Make some mittens. Learn to knit in the round. Once you feel like you've mastered all those basic skills, try a sweater.
Go to Top of Page

jessdr
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  10:24:20 PM  Show Profile Send jessdr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I *live* for my Denise set. The caseine (milk protein) needles are soft like plastic, but without the "squeaky" feel. They are very easy on your hands. I can knit a lot longer with those than with metal.

Pros:
- flexible and easy on your hands
- lightweight
- interchangeable sets mean that you get a LOT of needle combinations in one box and for your money ($45ish)
- good customer service

Cons:
- only includes US sizes 5-15 (I also knit with size 1, 3, and 4)
- the cables are not as flexible as Addis or Knitpicks Options. This is not a problem for sweaters and flat knitting, but makes it harder to do small-diameter knitting with the magic loop or two circulars techniques

Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  10:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite needles are the ones I can find. My husband and daughter both also knit, and seem to think that my needles are for everybody. Plus - I'm a one-project-at-a-time knitter, so I only ever needed one set of each size in a circ and DPNs, but my sweet daughter is a multi-project knitter, who is holding several sets of my needles hostage.

Seriously, my favorite needles I've ever used are Brittany Birch DPs. I love Addi Turbo circulars for loosely spun yarns, since the blunt tips don't split yarn as much, but I like Inox for lace, because the tips are sharper. I tried a friend's Options needles at SnB a few weeks ago, and now I'm coveting them. That cable is the best ever!

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

eelrenrut
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  02:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit eelrenrut's Homepage Send eelrenrut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denise:
I agree with the others that needles are certainly a personal choice and that you should purchase one of almost every type that you can to find out what is best for you.
I have purchased sets of just about everything out there from full sets of Lantern Moon circulars & straights to Namaste glass needles.
I now will not use anything but the KnitPicks Options circular set. I really hate admitting that I would choose a KnitPicks needle over a hand made wooden needle, but I do every day. I rarely if ever use my complete set of Addis that I spent who knows what on and only wish that the Options circular set was available before I invested in my other needle sets.
Happy Knitting!
Lee
Go to Top of Page

Celtic Memory Yarns
Warming Up

Ireland
62 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  02:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Celtic Memory Yarns's Homepage Send Celtic Memory Yarns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denise, for medium work (5-6mm, US 8-10) nothing can beat Colonial Rosewood circulars(I get mine from Warm Threads). They are far and away the most beautiful and rewarding to work with, and have a join from needle to cable that is absolutely perfect. For straights in medium I go for Lantern Moon - they're lovely to work with but are also so darn beautiful to leave lying around as decor! For big needles I go for Jenkins Woodworking handmade in Oregon - they're adorable and Ed Jenkins will even put your name on if you make a special request! For the really fine, I'm trying to adjust to using metal or plastic rather than wood since the breakage factor is that much higher!

But keep trying everything and soon you'll find the type that absolutely works for you.

Jo
Celtic Memory Yarns
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  03:06:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm one of those knitters who has enough needles in different materials and sizes to knit just about any yarn at any time. I'm a firm believer that the right tools are as important to the project as the yarn and the pattern, and that no one needle will do it all. I don't think I could stand to have just one type of needle to use!

My collection just might be complete, though, once I've finished accumulating a few more Knit Picks Options needles.

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

maddygunther@gmail.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  05:02:40 AM  Show Profile Send maddygunther@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How funny! I also taught myself to knit (in the jury duty waiting room) from Stitch 'N bee-hotch! And my next book purchase was Sally Melville's The Knit Stitch! No, I haven't done a sweater yet...

I concur with those who say "it depends on the yarn". Cotton and linen are more slippery, and stay on bamboo/wood needles better. Wool is springier, and will stay on metal better. The length of the needle depends more on the project. You feel sort of idiotic making a six-inch-wide scarf on 14" long needles. But a length-wise stole with a cast-on of 125 stitches is impossible to cram onto 10" needles.

Personaly, I cannot abide circulars. It's all the fault of the idiot who taught me to knit (self-taught, remember?). I keep the working yarn in my right hand, and throw it for each stitch. So I have to brace the end of the right-hand needle against my tummy while I do this, and you can't brace the end of a circular. And boy, aam I SLOW! At some point, I'm going to have to force myself to "go Continental" for speed and to finally embrace cicrulars.

Best of luck with your knitting. And start looking at the various needle storage options!
Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  05:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a new knitter at 50! I now have two years under my belt and love this needle topic. When I first started I loved straight bamboo needles. I quickly found Lantern Moon straights and adore them. But as my skill grew I needed to use circulars and first used Crystal Palace. I still enjoy those needles because of how the cable swivels where it joins the needle. That is so nice when knitting something rather bulky or heavy. I then discovered Addi Turbo's. Wow!! I did feel as if my knitting became "turbo'd"!! lol I'm a knitter with many WIP's and get frustrated when my single pair of one size of needles was already in use. So when I heard about Knit Picks Option needles became available I paid attention. I've had the full set now for 2 months and I LOVE those needles. Before I would have sore fingertips from pushing the stitches off my needles while I worked, the sharper points on the Options needles allow me to slide the stitches off! If you haven't tried those yet, I'd strongly recommend them.

Kay

www.knittinggalnokc.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  06:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I feel like I must be the only knitter who absolutely hates Addi Turbos. I have tried them now in several sizes and I doubt I will be buying another pair anytime soon. I can tolerate a size 10 circ with Lamb's Pride bulky (chunky?), but once I get another circ in that particular size, I think the Addi's will be sitting in my needle mug looking pretty and doing little else.

My consistent favorite is Crystal Palace straights. I recently had some girlfriends over to get them started knitting. I had them buy the correct CP needle for their yarn and then deliberately started them on crappy needles so their work would not glide off the needle and then once they were going in the groove switched over to the CP needles to lots of oohs and ahs in recognition of the ease they provided in comparison.

The crappy needles are from a set I bought last xmas at Michaels. They are some sort of plastic and candy cane striped. I think it was six sizes between 8 and 13 for $9.99. I had just learned to knit, and I knew that I would be getting what I paid for, but I liked the idea of having spare needles in sizes I was using. I still grab for them when a yarn is particularly slippery, so crappy has its place.

I agree with everyone here who says have fun finding what you prefer. You can never have too many needles!

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.