Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Boomerang Heel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cam
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  06:37:07 AM  Show Profile Send Cam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently in Germany, and in the knit shop, I picked up a pair
of machine made socks. I inquired (by pointing and smiling) about the heel, and the woman indicated (by pointing and smiling) that it was a machine made sock. I rubbed the heel some more and said I wanted to learn to knit a heel like that, and she said it was a "boomerang heel." She went to a notebook and pulled out a xeroxed set of directions and handed them to me. I smiled a lot, again, and thanked her (along with buying sock yarn and needles). My sister will be able to translate the directions for me, and hopefully I can get down to the heel before I have to leave.

Has anyone had any experience with this heel?

BTW, I have been taken to three shops so far, and each one was not nearly as good as the ones in the states. I am looking for some good German or Icelandic wool for a winter sweater, and mostly I have found sock yarns and novelty yarns and acrylics. The kind shops I want must not have an Internet presence, because even my online searches have failed me, except for a few in Northern Germany, and I am in southern. Oh well... Perhaps next week I'll find something.

Cam

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  08:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I could find on the web, it is a short heel. It is also known as the Sherman heel.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Hilary in Germany
New Pal

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  11:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hilary in Germany's Homepage Send Hilary in Germany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wanda - The Sherman Heel is a FABULOUS Heel - my heel of choice, as a matter of fact. BUT - it is NOT the same as the Boomerang Heel. :D
With the Boomerang, you commence your slipping for normal short rows. When you have worked the last row in this manner, you take a "shortrow pause", and knit 2 rows on every stitch on the sock. That's right - the heel, slipped stitches, instep - ALL of 'em! When done with these 2 rows, you work the second 1/2 of the short row heel as if nothing had happened.

Cam - I'm in Central West Germany, near the Luxembourg Border. While Sock Yarns do abound here. Acrylics are not at all common. When found, they usually fall into 2 categories: The new microfibers - good quality, or cheap sleasy stuff that loses any body it may have had upon the first wash. Just in my area we have several great LYSs with a full spectrum of quality yarns. Natural fibers, natural/synthetic blends, and everything from lace weights to chunky. There are 2 great LYSs in Wittlich (one is Lana Grossa Italian Yarns YUM! Owner speaks English) 5 in Trier, and a fabulous one in Köln (Cologne). The one in Köln has a website: www.maschenkunst.de and the owner speaks excellent English. I'm about ready to make the 2-hour drive up there now to attend our knitting club meeting.

Another I occasionally go to, and much further south, is in Strausborg, France, right on the German Border. Again a website for this one: http://www.elletricote.com/

Have fun,
Hilary in Germany
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  7:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to http://hipknitism.com/classes/basic_ribbed_socks/lesson4.shtml for a tutorial about the Sherman heel and have no idea what is meant by "P enc.", the "enc." meaning "encroached". Never heard of it!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

spielerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  12:47:02 AM  Show Profile Send spielerd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow two new heels I've never heard of. I looked up the Sherman heel. GREAT! Much better than all those wraps. I think I'll just try that on the socks I'm currently working. I do like the idea of the "pause" in the middle too. Have to check some pair I already have to see how they actually fit me. Might have to use that technique instead if I need that extra spacing. Hmmmmm

Debby
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  2:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ceil

I went to http://hipknitism.com/classes/basic_ribbed_socks/lesson4.shtml for a tutorial about the Sherman heel and have no idea what is meant by "P enc.", the "enc." meaning "encroached". Never heard of it!

Ceil

This link will take you to the full instructions for the Sherman heel referred to on Hipknitism's page. Hope that it works out for you, Ceil. I may even give it a try sometime myself!

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

spielerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  10:46:25 PM  Show Profile Send spielerd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just did the Sherman heel on my current toe up socks. This worked the best of the three different short row heels I've tried. YAY!!! It was easy and lays flat. No holes, no P3s, no wrap and turns. No markers needed. It fits well and looks quite nice. I think I can dispense with the other varieties of short row heels in the future- except for the YO version on one other pair. I have sock 1 done so sock 2 has to match it. I am not ripping out all the entrelac work just to redo the heel.

Debby
Go to Top of Page

Davenport
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  2:10:10 PM  Show Profile Send Davenport a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The full explanation of "P enc" -- with photographs -- can be found at http://hipknitism.com/library/techniques/p_enc.shtml

Happy knitting
Go to Top of Page

spinalcat
Warming Up

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  11:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit spinalcat's Homepage Send spinalcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sherman heel is the only short-row heel I've ever done. I used it to replace the horribly written instructions for the heel of the Simple Stripes Fair Isle socks from Knit Picks. I liked it- no gaps or anything. I've gone back to mostly doing socks with gussets cause I've had more practice with them and I know they fit me well.
When I do another sock with patterning that requires a short-row heel, I'll probably use the Sherman again.

-Amy

http://spinalcat.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gwendoline king
New Pal

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2013 :  12:12:37 PM  Show Profile Send gwendoline king a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is a youtube video in 4 parts on how to knit the boomerang heel the title is called
socks for summer - Socken stricken für Sommer - 1 by Wollefein The introduction by Wollefein mentions how to knit short lacy socks.
Knit short socks for summer with Short German Rows with Boomerang Heel and nice stretchy lace pattern. Knitting continental method.
Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

Dickens
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  02:23:47 AM  Show Profile Send Dickens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm new here and looking for help with knitting socks for a big man. He's 6'10" and wears a size 15 shoe. I want to use a light weight yarn with size 2.5mm needle and need to know how many stitches will be required. If I have that, I think I can guesstimate the measurements with a few trial swatches. I'll welcome any suggestions, especially for heels.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1256 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  1:29:28 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ann Budd has a book called Getting started knitting socks that has information that can help you. (I think it's Ann Budd, and I think it's this book—knitter's correct me if I'm wrong). Basically, you select the yarn you want, knit your gauge swatch, wash it, and get your gauge. Then you measure the leg and foot in certain places, and calculate cast on stitches and decreases based upon your gauge and the measurements of the particular foot in question. I took a class from her on this topic last year at the Interweave Knitting Lab, and she made it really clear how to do this.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Dickens
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2013 :  03:08:17 AM  Show Profile Send Dickens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, robin. I'll check for the book at my local library and will let everyone know how I proceed. I'm thinking I'll visit WEBS soon to look at yarns.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe