Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 sneaking in knitting at work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gdziengel
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  1:25:22 PM  Show Profile Send gdziengel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will sneak knitting in when I'm on a long conference call. Everyone in my office understands I pay attention better when I knit and the people over the phone don't have to know I'm knitting. I just got to knit myself through an hour long power outage. I'm glad I had my sock along.
Go to Top of Page

Linnet
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  2:11:30 PM  Show Profile Send Linnet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I probably could knit here, but I'm a contract employee, and that might raise unpleasant thoughts in their heads about how much they are paying me an hour. So I only knit on my breaks. Today, since I forgot my lunch, I chose a restaurant based on how much knitting I could get done while waiting! [:00] (1 inch on the sock.)

At my last job they weren't particular about what I did while I was waiting for work, so I would knit at my desk occasionally. I almost always knit through staff meetings, since it was the only way I could stay awake.
Go to Top of Page

knitwitch39
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  4:27:08 PM  Show Profile Send knitwitch39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm lucky, I guess. I_have_to be at work 10 hours a day 5 days a week but the work only takes a small portion of that time to do...so as long as I get my work done each day, my boss doesn't care if I spend the rest of the time knitting---or reading.

Yvonne

*The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.* Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  5:14:21 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Linnet

I probably could knit here, but I'm a contract employee, and that might raise unpleasant thoughts in their heads about how much they are paying me an hour. So I only knit on my breaks. Today, since I forgot my lunch, I chose a restaurant based on how much knitting I could get done while waiting! [:00] (1 inch on the sock.)

At my last job they weren't particular about what I did while I was waiting for work, so I would knit at my desk occasionally. I almost always knit through staff meetings, since it was the only way I could stay awake.

Hi Linnet,

I work as a temp,which I suppose is very similar to being a contract employee,so I also have to be very careful when it comes to knitting at work.I did have one temp assignment which lasted for 18 months,so it felt like a permanent job,but what I really enjoyed about it,was having my own office,so I was able to knit during my breaks.
Lately I have been doing mainly reception work,so knitting is a no-no,but at least I am able to log on here,which saves my sanity!

Leslie

My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
Go to Top of Page

knitting_wounded
Gabber Extraordinaire

365 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  10:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitting_wounded's Homepage  Send knitting_wounded a Yahoo! Message Send knitting_wounded a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only time I get to knit "at work" is when I take a conference call at home. It may not count since I'm not on the clock, but it is very satisfying to actually get something done during these (generally) useless calls.

Check out the Knitting Wounded Tent: http://knittingwounded.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ShannonM
Gabber Extraordinaire

352 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  05:54:41 AM  Show Profile Send ShannonM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to read a lot at work and knitting saves my sanity. I keep something simple like a plain sock or something in garter stitch that I don't have to pay attention to and it makes the boring parts more bearable. I don't think anyone would mind, but I don't think anyone's ever noticed. I have an office far away from the main part, with a door I keep shut to avoid noise. Lucky me.

Shannon
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  06:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really should bring in my knitting or crocheting to do over lunch...I'm sure no one would care.

I have snuck it in for quarter ends, when I'm just sitting around waiting for jobs to run on the weekend. The funniest was the time I brought in a sweater that I was knitting as a Christmas present. I used the big manager's table in the boss' cube to lay it out and measure...

PAM

WIP = Branches and Bobbles Afghan, Raglan Sweater, Vertical Rib Sweater (crocheted)

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares, Top-Down Sweater, Project Linus Baby Blanket (2), Summer Top, Scrap Sweater, Socks (2 pair), 63 Cable Squares Afghan, Winter Hat

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

knit-against-the-machine
New Pal

26 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  10:10:52 PM  Show Profile Send knit-against-the-machine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit at lunch too. I close my office door, put a CD into my desktop computer, and delve into another world as I knit and listen to music for 45 minutes.

Peace, Love, Knit & Rock On!
www.knit-against-the-machine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

micamynx
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  09:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit micamynx's Homepage Send micamynx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a lawyer & often take my knitting to court. When I have a break between cases or am waiting for a hearing to start, I knit. I get teased a bunch, but like others who have responded, knitting needles seem intimidating to people who don't knit. Especially male lawyers, I have found!
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  11:12:14 AM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work customer service (phone in) so when I work Saturdays (my 8hr day, usually work 5) which are usually a bit slower I do bring a project and knit between calls, or when not typing. I rarely get more than a row or two done, but it keeps from fidgeting so much.
Go to Top of Page

tink_r_bell
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  3:20:17 PM  Show Profile Send tink_r_bell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bring my knitting to work, generally socks or mittens or maybe parts of a purse. I used knitting as a demo/symbol of systems thinking, when a stitch is dropped or a row off a needle, the whole system can unravel, leaving the system broken.

I work for a school district IT and lots of teachers, principals, administrators make a point of bringing their laptops in (mostly Macs) and hooking into our wireless network. I figured that if they could surf, check email and buy stuff on eBay during meetings i could knit. How wrong I was! Now I bring my iPaq and surf or play freecell or solitaire - and not a word is spoken. I paid better attention when I knitted!

I knit at lunch with a friend, and I am trying to decide if I am coordinated enough to knit and walk when we do our laps!

Steph ;-}

To err is human, just try not to over do it.
Go to Top of Page

Jenny B.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  08:35:02 AM  Show Profile Send Jenny B. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being an ASL Interpreter, it would hard to knit at work! However, I recently brought knitting to a 3-day workshop where we weren't signing much. The second day, another lady brought her crochet! It's a great way to keep me in my seat and paying attention. Otherwise, I'd day dream I think.

Jenny B.
Go to Top of Page

amazing grace
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  1:52:32 PM  Show Profile Send amazing grace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to get to work 15 minutes early and spend that time knitting before work. I tend to be more relaxed if I have this quiet time before plunging into my job. My boss and I spend the first few minutes of each day talking about our daily goals and plans for the day and often I'll keep knitting through that meeting.

I also - on rare occasion - will declare I need a stress break and sit and knit for a row or two when I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Grace
Go to Top of Page

amanda23
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  4:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit amanda23's Homepage Send amanda23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've brought knitting with me to knit on my lunch breaks at one of my jobs... I should be able to at work because there is so much down time in between what I do, but I think people would think I was slacking off if they saw me knitting.[:((] So instead I check out knitting related things (like these forums) in that downtime.

-Amanda

my blog:
http://mollywaffles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth