Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

CalamityKat
Warming Up

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  09:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit CalamityKat's Homepage Send CalamityKat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I emailed KnitPicks with my suggestions for addition to this line of products (with which I am in love), including:

- bamboo needle tips
- hardwood needle tips
- a complete set of 16" Classics
- a complete set of 12" Classics
- size 19 and 35 tips
- a complete set of thicker cables (for the thicker needle tips)
- Classics 0-3 in the 40", 47" and 60" lengths
- 20" cables

I received this reply from Jasmine in Customer Service:

"I believe we do have some wooden needles in our future. Although, I am not exactly sure in what capacity or if they are hardwood or bamboo. I think we are also coming out with additional circular needle sizes. I don't know when these will be available, but they are in the works.

As for your other ideas and suggestions, I will certainly pass them along to our development team. We are always interested in knowing what our customers want."

So, if you have ideas for expanding this line of products, or have particular wishes for it, let them know---they're open to requests and suggestions.

Illegitimi non carborundum.
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  1:06:59 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there are too many bamboo interchangeables around. I think WEBS used to sell one, but I haven't seen it lately. Plymouth makes one but I've never used it so I can't give you any advice about it. If you decide you're interested, this eBay auction has it for a little less.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  9:12:14 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I made another convert for KnitPicks Options. I told my mother how much I loved them and suggested that she try them. So I ordered one needle and a set of cables for her to try. Tonight she called to say she's ordering the whole set. She's 87 and has been knitting since she was a child in England so she's seen her share of needles and she says Options are the best ones she's ever used. Like mother, like daughter.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  04:20:12 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay!!!! I had also suggested wood/bamboo earlier in this thread and I'm really glad to hear they're thinking about this. I would DEFINITELY buy a complete set of these tips if they create them. I think they should also make some plastic-coated inox-type tips; I use these only occasionally but some really prefer them to the slick metal. And for some yarns, I find they work better than either wood or metal.

I'd also buy some extra-long cables if/when they become available.

I hope KnitPicks is monitoring this thread. Actually, I'd be surprised if they were not.
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  08:22:00 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me still waiting for my KP Options to arrive. *sigh* it's been 2 weeks. Me super jealous with you all. But luckily they should come one of these days.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  1:45:20 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it's worth it to pay for your shipping - it comes REALLY fast then.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  8:33:13 PM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan.. I did pay for my shipping but because knitpicks don't do international shipping, I have to get it from Tapestry Craft, Australia and KnitPicks and them delayed the shipment and blah blah blah... I posted my waiting two weeks ago and till now I still haven't received it.. I'm paying about $15-20 for shipping only.
Go to Top of Page

CalamityKat
Warming Up

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  11:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit CalamityKat's Homepage Send CalamityKat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thought of an option for plastic needle tips is a good one, if only to ensure you can knit on a plane.

I had another couple of notions I'm going to suggest to KnitPicks, and if you like these ideas you all might want to suggest them, too, so they will know there's interest:

- More needle tip sizes in the middle of the range. For instance, wouldn't a 7mm option in our Options set be nice? The 6.5 to 8mm jump is a large one.

- It would also be nice if they'd put out Classics in 2.25mm and 1.75mm. I'm assuming that they will eventually be putting out Classics in 1.5mm, to match the Addi Turbos, but that size might be worth mentioning, too.

Any other ideas?

Frances

Go to Top of Page

Catknit
New Pal

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  07:40:34 AM  Show Profile Send Catknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The review of KP needles and my own experience reinforces how personal a choice knitting needles are, depending on how we knit. I never realized until I tried out the KP needles that I push the stitch off the end of the needle with my finger when I knit. This rules out KP needles for me as my finger was killng me and in need of a bandaid after the first try. I will check out the Addi lace needles which seems to be the best of both worlds. I also like the Addi bamboo.
Go to Top of Page

CalamityKat
Warming Up

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  12:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit CalamityKat's Homepage Send CalamityKat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jasmine in KnitPicks Customer Service wrote to me today:

"We are coming out with 2.25mm and 2.75mm DPN's and Classic Circulars. These should be available in June 2007. I do not know of any plans for a 10 3/4 tip, but I will certainly pass along your request."

Hurray for the 2.25mm and 2.75mm!

I hope others will join me in requesting a 7mm, as well.

Jasmine also reiterated that it isn't yet known if the wooden and/or bamboo KP needles will be straights, needle tips for the Options set, or what. I'm hoping for needle tips, myself.

Go to Top of Page

harakiri
Chatty Knitter

250 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  3:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit harakiri's Homepage Send harakiri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm finally using my Option on my Ene's Scarf and I am in love. I'm a bamboo girl, madly, passionately, so I was worried I'd hate the Option but I do love them so far, even if they end up just being for lace.

I also push the the needles with my fingers when I knit but so far no pains or problems.

~ Sarah

-------
Knitting since April 2006, excuse the mistakes, I'm a newbie.
SAHM to E- 3 & A- 2 months
www.eatmyoxygen.com
Go to Top of Page

CalamityKat
Warming Up

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  2:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit CalamityKat's Homepage Send CalamityKat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realized only after I started using my Options that I was a "pusher", but it apparently took only a few times to re-train my hands (my brain is a little slower), because within a day or so I stopped hurting myself.

Go to Top of Page

dulcedosa
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  09:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit dulcedosa's Homepage  Send dulcedosa a Yahoo! Message Send dulcedosa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one more review:
http://dulcedosa.blogspot.com/2007/04/knit-picks-options-review.html#links

http://dulcedosa.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  09:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Catknit - I found that it only took me a day or so to change the pushing on the needle tip - so don't give up -- that sore finger for a short time is worth it. I did put a band aid on for part of the first day and the second day -- but that actually helped me change the way I knit as it seemed too weird to knit that way.

rho

my new blog address http://thisandthat-rho.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ladonnabubak
New Pal

31 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  11:47:32 AM  Show Profile Send ladonnabubak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I reveiwed mine too. Not surprisingly, it's very similar to most reviews I've read. I love the needles (especially the pointy tips) but hate that they don't mark the size on the needles. I also am less than fond of the 'dayplanner' binder. Other than a couple 'ridgy' cables (KP is sending me new ones asap) the kit was exactly what I expected and I LOVE it!

Hit my bog at http://nautiknitter.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

samsgrams
Chatty Knitter

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  3:54:35 PM  Show Profile Send samsgrams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered the whole set, plus 40" cables. I love my Options but have had trouble with the cables. Knitpicks has been great about replacing the ones with rough edges that snag, and the cables that came loose from the metal ends....great customer service! I wish I I hadn't had defective cables in the first place, but am so impressed with any company that stands behind their product and replaces promptly when necessary. A pleasure to deal with them.

samsgrams
Go to Top of Page

Isis Rising
Chatty Knitter

320 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  5:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isis Rising's Homepage Send Isis Rising a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calamity@Virginia.edu

Jasmine in KnitPicks Customer Service wrote to me today:

"We are coming out with 2.25mm and 2.75mm DPN's and Classic Circulars. These should be available in June 2007. I do not know of any plans for a 10 3/4 tip, but I will certainly pass along your request."

Hurray for the 2.25mm and 2.75mm!

I hope others will join me in requesting a 7mm, as well.

Jasmine also reiterated that it isn't yet known if the wooden and/or bamboo KP needles will be straights, needle tips for the Options set, or what. I'm hoping for needle tips, myself.

This is good news, since I only like to knit socks using a 2.75 mm needle. With every order I've done at KP over the last 8 months, I've been requesting that dpn size. As soon as they have them for purchase, I know I'll be adding them to the rest of my Options needles.

http://isisrising.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Isis Rising
Chatty Knitter

320 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  5:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isis Rising's Homepage Send Isis Rising a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillstreetmama

Sometimes it's worth it to pay for your shipping - it comes REALLY fast then.

Jan

I also paid for the shipping, since mine were my Christmas gift to myself. If it wasn't for the Christmas Blizzard, I would have them in two days. Still, it was worth it to pay for the shipping, to get them in a few days, instead of 14 days. When you're already spending $60 for the set, what's a few more dollars for the shipping?

After using the set my knitting buddies had, I knew once I ordered them, I'd make myself crazy waiting for them to come in the mail.

http://isisrising.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

CalamityKat
Warming Up

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  12:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit CalamityKat's Homepage Send CalamityKat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that KnitPicks has given us Classics and DPNs in 2.25 and 2.75mm, we really need to ask them for 1.75mm, 7mm and 7.5mm.

And now that we have a full range of 16" Classics, we really need to ask them for the small Classics in 20", 40", 47" and 60" lengths---and 20" cables for our Options.

Not to mention, let's all let them know it would be great to have bamboo and/or wood needletips available for the Options set.

Come on, knitters, start nagging!

Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  10:00:23 PM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a set from my DH & DD for Mother's Day. This was a very thoughtful gift from them (especially after I waved the information in their faces). I had tried out a couple single sizes and changed from pushing the tip to pushing along the top.

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?