Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

WendyT
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  09:09:27 AM  Show Profile Send WendyT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really love my Options. I've been using the classics and just received my Options set. What a deal! If only I knew about these before I bought every size known to man in the Addi's. Addi's for sale -- cheap!

WendyT
Go to Top of Page

starfire385
Chatty Knitter

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  11:12:02 AM  Show Profile Send starfire385 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had my options since december now, and I really love them. The only annoying thing is they are so SHARP! I've actually cut myself knitting with these needles. I did solve the problem a little bit by taking a nail file across the top of the needle to dull the tip just a tiny bit so it would stop cutting my fingers. All in all though, I recomend these needles to everyone. I can't wait til I can afford to spend money on more cables and stuff for them.
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  9:47:01 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually like their sharpness although I've learned to be careful with them. I'm working on a sweater now with a lot of twisted stitches and these needles make it really easy to work them.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams, 'The Dilbert Principle'
Go to Top of Page

babyduck
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  07:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit babyduck's Homepage Send babyduck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been using mine pretty regularly too and I love them! I just finished a "My so called scarf" using Malabrigo yarn and I loved the sharpness of the needles. It allowed me to do the purl 2 together, then purl first stitch again with ease. If the tips were blunt that would've been much harder (I think).
Go to Top of Page

BrianaNE
Warming Up

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  09:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit BrianaNE's Homepage Send BrianaNE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, maybe I'm a dummy. I just got my pair with my cable and I thought that the whole thing joined together into a circular needle set up. That both needles and the two cables all twisted together into on piece? Is it just the two needles and one cable that twist together?
Thanks and sorry for the sill question,
Briana

http://horsecountryyarns.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  11:41:19 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It works like a circular with 2 needles, one at each end of a cord. The cords come in packs of 2.
Go to Top of Page

fiberlicious
Permanent Resident

1637 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  7:10:44 PM  Show Profile Send fiberlicious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You get two cables when you order them separately. You only use one to make a circ -screw the each needle into one end of one cable and tighten with the tool. You can use the round cable ends to make the cable into a stitch holder if you need to knit something else with those needles and the second cable before you finish the first thing.
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  06:19:23 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you get two cords so that you can create "mock straight" needles. i.e., attach a needle at one end of the cord, and the round cable end at the other ... do this for both cords & both needles.

Now you have a kind of "floppy straight needle." This makes the needles have even more potential uses. In theory, you need to have no other needles other than your interchangeable circs.

Of course, you could also just use a single long cable & knit back & forth.

I haven't heard people talk about this for a long time, but years ago there was discussion that using the "mock straights" using your interchangeable circs would reduce hand strain if you're working with heavy yarns. I tried it a few times but never really liked it. I'd just as soon knit back & forth on a single long cable, if I wanted to use my interchangeables instead of straights for some reason.
Go to Top of Page

herbandteas
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit herbandteas's Homepage Send herbandteas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice tip!

quote:
Originally posted by Clara

OK here's a super-duper close-up of the KnitPicks needle tip compared to the Addi tip. (The KP needle is the top one, Addi is the bottom.) The needles photographed are just one size apart from each other, but it should give you some perspective.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Helaine in Olalla, Wa
View my blog @ http://misshelaineous.blogspot.com/
Women who behave rarely make history
Go to Top of Page

marsada6460
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  02:20:06 AM  Show Profile Send marsada6460 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These needles totally rock! They're smooth, even at the joins. I prefer them over my Addi's, the cable is more giving and I like the sharper points. They blow Denise completely out of the water! I only wish that they came with a case similar to Denise. I don't care for the notebook thing. I think I'll probably sell my Denise and get some extra needles/cables. Knit Picks really has came out with a top of the line product! They're doulbe points are a dream too!
Go to Top of Page

WendyT
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  10:03:01 AM  Show Profile Send WendyT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used my Options on a few projects now and I LOVE them! Options are a terrific needle. I like the notebook that comes with the needles when you buy them as a set. Smooth join, sharp tips, no memory cord, and I have NOT had a problem with them coming apart. Even though they have a sharp tip, I have not had a problem with cutting myself - - I don't think they are THAT sharp. I wish I discovered these before I bought all those Addi's. I'm probably going to try to sell some of my Addi's.
Go to Top of Page

BrianaNE
Warming Up

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  2:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit BrianaNE's Homepage Send BrianaNE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OH! I gues I am a dummy. ;-) Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. I thought the two cables were supposed to twist together, but I had two "Outties" and needed an "Innie".

I've been using them and I love them so much, I used them first for the Shetland Triangle I'm knitting up now. When I use them as straight needles though the yarn sometimes gets twisted up in the stoppers at the bottom, but it's not that bad of an issue. I will definitly get the set.
Thanks again!

http://horsecountryyarns.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Redtabby
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  4:45:21 PM  Show Profile Send Redtabby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had my Options set and smaller classic circulars since Christmas, and I really could not be more pleased with them. I have since added a few more cable lengths and tip sizes. I never bought Addis because of the high cost.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  06:59:14 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say the Options needles are the greatest. I am trying to learn lace knitting, and I have to say it certainly helps having such "pointy" tips. I have Inox Grays too, but would rather use the Options! I should've bought the whole set at once since I keep going back adding a needle or two at a time! Only once have I had the join come loose, and I caught it before it actually came apart.

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  07:48:06 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am waiting patiently for my needle to arrive. They should come this coming week.. I have to hold my horses from buying anymore needle or yanrs first till I touch them. I can hardly wait.
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  6:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Options are not my favorite needles! For my preference, they are too sharp (and I like sharp needles!) and the sizes are not marked on the needles. Their best feature, imo, is their cord, which is superior to any circular cord I have tried, with the exception of the new addi lace needles, which have a different, but very flexible cord. I have not had any of the problems with them reported here. My set is relegated to my travel bag now, because it is handy to have all sizes while away from home. Sarah.
Go to Top of Page

caliknitta
Chatty Knitter

134 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  05:11:39 AM  Show Profile Send caliknitta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been so lucky with my Options set. I bought the set when it first came out and have added quite a few extra cords and tips. Unfortunately, a lot of the cords are defective and have pulled out from the metal join. I guess I just need to glue them back in, but it is annoying. Also, I notice that the tips are kind of fragile. A few of my tips have either bent or gotten dented. All in all, I think they are a nice set and I really like them. I just wish they were sturdier.
Go to Top of Page

Medea
Chatty Knitter

334 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  08:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Medea's Homepage Send Medea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a "pusher" who has been on the fence about the described sharpness, but I'm going to fold to internal pressure and try them. I need a US 13 circular needle in any longish length for my next project (I've decided I prefer making shawls on circular needles rather than straights), so I'll get the Options tips and 32" cords, but wait to see if I like it before purchasing the set.

Caliknitta, did you contact KnitPicks about the defective cords? It sounds from other posts like they might replace them with very little hassle.

Jenny

I'm teaching myself to knit -- dare I call myself an "advanced beginner" now? Pictures are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsphotos
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  04:19:30 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy my Options, and two of my daughters have sets, also. However, part of the reason for getting the set is they're cheap, and you often get what you pay for. The cords will eventually pull out of the join, so make sure you have appropriate glue on hand. I've not yet had any tips dent - that would really annoy me. I'm willing to put up with the maintenance for the convenience of having so many sizes available. The company is very good about handling replacements for truly defective cables or tips. I have two of their "books" to store mine in, and hope to use them for a long time. I do still use my Addi's and Inox when I have the size, or when I need 16 inch needles.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

esatch@msn.com
Warming Up

83 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  7:38:32 PM  Show Profile Send esatch@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I'm crazy about them. Like everything else they are not perfect - I sure could use 16 in cords and sometimes the 24 in cords come detached from the needle tips - not a problem with the longer lenghts - but they are a relatively new product and I have faith that they will work out the kinks (please excuse an awful pun)
I love their yarn and their service is definitely above average. If I order on Mon (without expedited shipping) I usually have my order on Thurs or Fri at the latest.
I'm new to circulars and use them every chance I get!
I have not used the Denise system but would be interested in a set of reasonably priced bamboo circs. Any suggestions? Thanx!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?