Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  08:38:44 AM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't decide whether I want the whole base set or not. I never seem to use the larger needles and I'm not sure that I want to store my needles in a case like that given in the base set. Though I do love the way that you could also buy this kit and store all your regular old needles with the options kit. The one thing I don't like about the boye or denise is that the needles are stored separately from all my other needles.

It is really a smart kit. I hope the needles hold up well. Can anyone tell me how long the needles are? Also are the joins bent (like boyes) or straight like addis.

Oh and I'm so happy they are purple :)

Clara
Go to Top of Page

JalynR
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  09:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit JalynR's Homepage Send JalynR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my! I had to go check these out and I am so excited. Suecq, my DH said almost the same thing! So, we ordered the set and I can't wait. Knitpicks said it would be between 5 and 14 days.
Clara, from the pictures the joins are straight, not bent like the boyes.

Jalyn R.
http://www.stuckontheprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  2:19:19 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went ahead and bought some too....I hope they're terrific~

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  5:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered only a couple pair of the small circs, none of the interchangeables, along with some yarn I need to finish a project, and paid for expedited shipping so should have them by about Thursday. I'll let you know what I think of the circs. (I usually use Addis but have 1 or 2 Inox)
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  05:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They look interesting! I'll have to keep looking at reviews!

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  11:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Denise set. I really had only used bamboo or Denise in the past. About a month ago I purchased some Addi's for socks and love them. I guess I will be forced (hand is twisted behind my back) to buy them and try them out. Like I need another excuse for buying. Glad my husband just turns and looks the away when the mailman/UPS/Fedex guy shows up.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  11:40:34 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got all excited after reading about these new needles as I thought they would solve my current problem of finding a size 11 16-inch needle that is not bamboo or an Addi. What a disappointment to go to the KnitPicks site and learn that the shortest cord is 24". Needles are for a poncho that requires 16 & 24 inch circs. I also tried Knitting Zone to look at the Hiya Hiya circs. The Knitting Zone's website is a horror show if you can't recall which email address you used!! Ugh - all I want is my circs so I can get started.

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  12:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see if I answer all the questions (and my apologies to anything I missed!)...

First, yes - you can totally get one pair of cables (they come in twos) and one pair of tips to try these out and see what you think before investing in a full set. I think the argument there was that we tend to use the same sized needles a lot, and when using an interchangeable set, this means your favorite size is always in use. This is definitely true for me. So if you wanted, you could really just stock up on a bunch of 5s, for example, or 8s, or whatever your preferred size is.

Second, the tip is definitely sharper than the Addis, especially on the finer sizes. I'll try to line up two pairs for a profile mug shot so you can see, although I suspect it's one of those details that doesn't photograph well.

Third, the needle itself is 4 1/2 inches long from tip to screw-in end. This makes the tapers more dramatic on the larger sizes, but doable.

Something I didn't mention earlier that's kind of a peeve for me: they come in resealable plastic sleeves that are almost identical to the kind people use for notecards. So not very thick. The inside of the flap is adhesive so that when you slide the paper card out and wrestle the needles out of their little elastic hoops, the flap may have inadvertently stuck to the paper card. It's not a glossy paper card, so when you un-stick the flap, you rip the paper. Essentially you may not want to store your needle tips in the little pouches they came in. Not necessarily the container they sell, but something.

I have the binder case but none of the plastic binder sleeves (they came out after KP sent me the needles) so I can't really say anything about those. I think they may be the missing key in the whole storage thing. But I thought the binder was a little formal and DayTimer-esque. VERY much just a personal preference, so take it for what it's worth - I'd rather have a more whimsical fabric covering to the binder so I don't confuse it with my REAL date book. But that's a small peeve.

And yes, you can't connect cords to make custom lengths like you can with the Denyse.

Otherwise, they definitely are contenders for consideration.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  12:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did the math on a set that had smaller needles and all the cables I wanted and just a couple of the larger ones that I would use for felting. It turned out to cost more. At least in my case it did.

As for the case. I pretty much already figured it would be gone when I got it. I have a case that I've made for another set of needles that is my favorite fabric and it works really well. Anyone can make something whimsical or maybe their favorite seamstress will be able to help out. Once it gets here I'll see what I can come up with. maybe I can devise a pattern that will work for anyone and make sense.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  12:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm sold. Pointy Addis (well, close enough) would've sold me, actually - pointy, INTERCHANGEABLE Addis (or close enough)?

I'm putting off the purchase, but unless I'm over the moon about my arriving-this-week 40" Lantern Moon circ, this set is going to be my new love.
ETA: Nope, not a Lantern Moon fan. The rosewood is nice; the join is awful.

Can I just say how thrilled I am that they didn't go with the much larger sizes? I like my Denises well enough, but I only ever use one side of the case! If it's above an 8, I just have no use for it.

And I don't mind that the interchangeables don't go small - I have *actual* 40" Addis from 000 to 4.

Clara - I read through your responses and looked at their page (which, of course, won't say anything bad about the needles) and I have one remaining question - how's the join? I'm so used to (um, spoiled by) Addis that I forgot how important that is to me.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  4:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The join is pretty smooth. They could only get it so small, so the really fine sizes are still fixed (not screw-on). But in both the tests of the preproduction needles and these shipping ones, I didn't have any annoyances. AS LONG AS (she says, clearing her throat for emphasis) you use that little torque key (or a bent paper clip, good suggestion!) to make the fit nice and tight.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  4:44:14 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are they only available from Knit Picks or can they be purchased under a different brand name elsewhere?

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  6:40:27 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope KnitPicks comes out with a 16-inch cord. Then I would definitely be interested in trying them. By the way, I did end up ordering the Hiyas despite my computer glitch on Knitting Zone's web site. Have to say that Mary at The KnittingZone gives the BEST customer service ever. She exchanged emails with me until I finally was successful in placing an order. All that for an order of two sets of needles. It's really great when someone will go that extra distance to help someone out.

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  9:04:45 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mokey: They are the "house brand" by Knit Picks, so yes, they are only available at KP. (Thus far, anyways) I'm beginning to seriously consider a set of these... Do I detect a Christmas/Birthday present in my future?

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/QueenLorien/USALaceTeam.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  05:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I did it. I ordered them. Have to try them.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  05:48:52 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clara
First, yes - you can totally get one pair of cables (they come in twos) and one pair of tips to try these out and see what you think before investing in a full set. I think the argument there was that we tend to use the same sized needles a lot, and when using an interchangeable set, this means your favorite size is always in use. This is definitely true for me. So if you wanted, you could really just stock up on a bunch of 5s, for example, or 8s, or whatever your preferred size is.
Clara

Thanks for pointing this out, Clara. Once I got over the excitement of seeing these, I realized I don't *really* need the entire set and would be better off purchasing the 40" cables and the smaller needle sizes which are problematic with the Denise with its thick cords. Off to the Knitpicks site...again.
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  06:20:08 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered a set last night. I've tried the Denise--hate them! I also have Plymouth bamboo--love them--and Boye--like them well enough and have no trouble with joins coming undone. I am an Addi fanatic, though, and these look so similar that I had to give them a try.
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  06:44:16 AM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone recieved the sizes 0-3 in the traditional circs in Knitpicks store brand? I'm interested in using them for circular sock knitting. Just looked at them and love the price!!! I'm hoping that the cord and join are comparable to Addis. It'd be great to stock up on a few sizes that seem to always be in use.

I'm curious about the finish, sometimes Addis can be too slippery for lace yarns. Does anyone else have that problem? I'm hoping that the pointy KP tips will help. Anxious to see some reviews here.

Carrie
Go to Top of Page

AuntieK
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  06:54:58 AM  Show Profile Send AuntieK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to hear from all that have ordered the "Options" needles. I have the Denise set which for me is OK for knitting up felted projects since the stitches are big and loose. But when I tried them on a tighter gauge project the yarn didn't slide on the bulky cord. I love the Addi glide and hope this set feels the same.

K
Go to Top of Page

mandamia
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  09:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit mandamia's Homepage Send mandamia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks promising, but as a keen magic looper, I am disappointed that the smaller circulars stop at 32". I can't wait to try out the interchangable 40" and 47" cables, though.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?