Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

WendyT
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  12:27:18 PM  Show Profile Send WendyT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit socks with two circs. I prefer the 24" cable.

As far as the size of needle, it will depend upon your gauge. I use sizes 0, 1 & 2 most often.

quote:
Originally posted by TKnitter

I want to do socks on two circular needles from Knitpicks. What size do I buy? 1, 2, or 3 and which size cables? I am a newbie to knitting and will probably take a sock class if I can find one.

Go to Top of Page

knitwitt
Seriously Hooked

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  1:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitwitt's Homepage Send knitwitt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKnitter

I want to do socks on two circular needles from Knitpicks. What size do I buy? 1, 2, or 3 and which size cables? I am a newbie to knitting and will probably take a sock class if I can find one.

Definitely 1s and 2s - I almost never use 3s for socks, but it depends on your tension; if you tend to be a tight knitter, you might find the 3s workable for some of the thicker sock yarns.

I actually knit my socks on 2 16" circs (which I don't think KPs makes yet), but I think many people prefer the 24" anyway.

--Jennifer

http://impatientknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

infinity
Warming Up

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit infinity's Homepage Send infinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have now had my Knit Picks over 7 months and used them through out my holiday knitting spree. One thing is for sure my hands (carpal tunnel) did not bother me as much with the KPs with all my speed knitting. I also had an issue with one of the cables recently (7 months from the time I purchased) and the customer service was impeccable even though it had been such a long time since the actual purchase.

I have used the DPNs for a pair of socks. Depending on the tension that you have the DPN can slip a bit, but all in all it was fine. The other thing that was great is the sharpness really helped when picking stitches (I am a continental knitter).

Looking back on it when I first decided to hit the "submit" button for the order, I cannot imagine that hesitation. I have gone back and purchase additional cables and a few sizes of the needles that I use more frequently on multiple projects.

Needless to say, I am extremely happy that I made the purchase. I have even added some of their cirqs in sizes that the Options set did not have, like the shorter cables. And I am definitely checking back and keeping up with any new items they add. [!]Also, I have been cleaning out some of my other needles and putting them on ebay so that I can suplement the funds for my KPOptions obsession.

InfinityExplorer
~~
~ every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around...
Go to Top of Page

kentuckyprrlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

189 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  3:28:45 PM  Show Profile Send kentuckyprrlgrrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am absolutely thrilled with my Options. They make my knitting even more enjoyable than before. Yea!!!

Ky Prrl Grrl

Step away from the bubble wrap and no one gets hurt!
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  6:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phew! I certainly haven't read all of the reviews but it seems there are still a lot of bugs to be worked out with this product. So far maybe I am lucky I haven't seen them myself in a yarn store anywhere. I think I'll wait and see if the manufacture improves in the future.

I applaud the finer points though as I love to knit lace.

Arctic-mermaid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/MermaidKnits/
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  11:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You probably won't see them in a yarn store, as I'm pretty sure KnitPicks is exclusively online from their site.

I got a set for Christmas, and I love them so far. But then, I'm a big fan of very pointy metal needles. I haven't had a problem with them yet.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

LI Craftgal
Gabber Extraordinaire

382 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  06:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit LI Craftgal's Homepage Send LI Craftgal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my one needle for my lace project and now will more than likely order the set!! I love my addis but these are really nice!!! The best interchangeable so far that I can tell. I love the sharp tips and the cable is wonderful. I tried crystal palace for the lace and hated it. The tips are not great and the cable is lousy! So I ordered the knit picks and am so glad I did. These are worth every nickel!

Kelly

http://licraftgals-spot.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

infinity
Warming Up

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  11:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit infinity's Homepage Send infinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mermaid Knits

Phew! I certainly haven't read all of the reviews but it seems there are still a lot of bugs to be worked out with this product. So far maybe I am lucky I haven't seen them myself in a yarn store anywhere. I think I'll wait and see if the manufacture improves in the future.

I applaud the finer points though as I love to knit lace.

Arctic-mermaid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/MermaidKnits/

I just wanted to say that as per another reply, you will not find the Options Set in your LYS. I spoke to my LYS and asked if they would be getting any knitpicks items in their store or carry them. They said that they had contacted knitpicks several times about stocking their products and KP said they sell their own items directly to the public (not sure if this is permanent or if this is policy and you have to take into consideration that it came third hand).

This explains what happened during a sock class I was taking at my LYS, someone mentioned the set and the instructor really quickly started pushing the items that were in the store already (addis etc.) I had some with me and offered to let everyone see them and I was quickly sidelined and we were moved on in the class. Even after the class was over they were kind of put out that everyone including the customers were looking at my KP Options Set.

Needless to say they were glaring at me. I have my last sock class next week and it will be interesting how they react when I come in and in future visits. I understand retail sales are important to any business, but they should be a bit more open to new things even if they cannot sell them, it is good customer service.

InfinityExplorer
~~
~ every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around...
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  12:02:45 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think KnitPicks entire business model is focused on direct online sales and they have no plans to sell via third party retailers. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see these in the LYS.

As to how they deal with your needles in the LYS - well I'm with you, Infinity, but I guess I can see the YS point of view too. They sell needles and they want their customers to buy theirs. And if you start poking around at the KP site to try to get the needles, maybe you'll buy some yarn there too, which would take away even more business.

If I ran a LYS, I'd probably despise KnitPicks because their yarn really is so inexpensive and I'm sure they lose customers there. I sure buy plenty there. OTOH, I still buy a lot of high-end yarn from the LYS or other online shops and I'm unlikely to stop doing that any time soon. *shrug* I guess it's one of those issues where what's good for the marketplace generally speaking may have unfortunate local consequences.
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  10:09:07 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leave it to me to do everything backwards. I haven't been knitting or on the forums lately because of our major, time-consuming and exhausting cross-country move but I went on the KnitPicks site last night to order some wool and saw the needles. Loving Addis, I ordered the KP set on the spot without knowing anything about them. Then I had the bright idea of coming here and checking the reviews. I think I'm going to love them and can't wait to get them.

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Smith
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  09:12:28 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting with the Options almost exclusively for about a month now, and I adore them. They are marvelous. The cables are perfect, the join is like glass, the needles themselves are very fast, and I've had none of the issues that some have had with separation etc. (though in another month or two, who knows.) I also just love the cute case to carry them in.

My one complaint is that these needles are POINTY!!! Which is great for working the yarn, but not so great on my sore fingertips. Actually, knitting with the smaller gauges is no problem for some reason - maybe I'm not pushing as hard. But I did some FiberTrends clogs this weekend using the 15 tips (or was it 13? I don't remember) and a double strand of worsted weight yarn. Maybe I'm pushing harder or something with the thicker yarn and larger tip? Anyway my right index finger really took a beating, and it's still sore.

I've been trying to re-train myself not to "push" with my fingertip but it's not an easy transition. It does help that the needles are slippery though.

And as I've posted before - I really REALLY hope that the come out with more "options" for the tips, e.g. bamboo tips. I prefer wood or bamboo for many kinds of projects. For me, the ideal needle set would include choice of tip material.

So my vote for now is "two thumbs up, one (sore) index finger down."
Go to Top of Page

LI Craftgal
Gabber Extraordinaire

382 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  10:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit LI Craftgal's Homepage Send LI Craftgal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After working with the 1 option needle I orderd for the lace I am most definitly going to order the set. These are wonderful needles. I just love them.

Kelly

http://licraftgals-spot.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bullmonty
Seriously Hooked

814 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  7:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bullmonty's Homepage Send Bullmonty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought KPs (classic and interchangeables) up to 4.50mm and so far, I've been using the 2.75mm. Love it! I'm glad I bought these as I was tempted to try Addis.

http://designsbyhuileng.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kentuckyprrlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

189 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  09:11:36 AM  Show Profile Send kentuckyprrlgrrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Cat
[
I've been trying to re-train myself not to "push" with my fingertip but it's not an easy transition. It does help that the needles are slippery though.

So my vote for now is "two thumbs up, one (sore) index finger down."

I know what you mean! I am a 'pusher' too. I do so love my Options, though

Ky Prrl Grrl

Step away from the bubble wrap and no one gets hurt!
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  12:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've gotten a few of the interchangeables and the small fixed ones too. Other than a couple rough cords (which knit picks promptly replaced) I really love the needles. Nice pointy tips and no problem with them coming unscrewed. Great needles!

-Amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Finished Projects:
http://yarnjunkie2.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  4:00:42 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These needles are the best thing since sliced bread! I absolutely love them and just ordered some extra cords.

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Smith
Go to Top of Page

SandraPurl
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  03:31:04 AM  Show Profile Send SandraPurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the KnitPick Options and LOVE them! The cables never twist or coil and the points are just right for all my knitting. I ordered another set of tips and cables and now can work on many projects at once. I also have the circular 1, 2, and 3 needles. I will be taking a sock knitting course this weekend and I am sure they will work out well. I had one probolem at the beginning and the company immediately replaced the cable and sent extra 'keys' and end caps. [blue][/blue size=6][/size=6]

SandraPurl
Go to Top of Page

vibj
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  09:48:23 AM  Show Profile Send vibj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got my options set for Christmas.. they are heaven... love the sharp points, but mostly the cables, no heating to uncoil always ready to go, can't wait to go on vacation with them. I most love the length of the needles, some of the Addis are way too stubby (fat) and hard to knit with. Would like shorter lengths of cord esp 12 and 16. The case is very nice the whole thing at $60 is a great deal. If this was available then I would not have the 35 + Addis.
Go to Top of Page

KAMAOR
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  8:31:20 PM  Show Profile Send KAMAOR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My BF got a set of these in July. I tried them then and Loved them but couldn't afford them for myself. Well the tax check is on the way, and my Options are in my hot little hands. I can't wait to load them with WIP
Karen
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  03:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say, after almost two months of using them, my absolute favorite thing about these needles, even more than the insanely wonderful sharpness, are the cables. They don't twist, they don't curl, they have no memory whatsoever to them. It's wonderful!

I have had a few problems with them coming unscrewed as I work, but I think that might be more because of me not tightening them properly in the first place. Other than that, they're great!

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.