Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  8:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have one of those zippered 3-ring binder notebooks that I use to store my circs.

I use heavy plastic pages from office supply store to store them and have dividers numbered 1,2,3...to designate needle size.

Works great and with the zipper, no fear of losing them.

Just be careful that pages are lined up before you close the notebook, so you don't bend or crimp the needles.

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  05:30:56 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where have I been? I just received my Knit Picks catalogue on Saturday and am glad to read so many reviews. I've never had interchangable circulars but am going to go for these. I love my Addi's, but over the years many of them have dented. I was going to order just a few sizes, and cables, but by the time I added it all up, getting the set is the way to go. I'll keep my circular case for my many non-interchangable needles.
I've also never had circulars with the size on them, and have used my 'knit chek' for years, so that doesn't bother me. But I would think it would have been easier for the company to mark them, than to have the 'tags' to put on them. But whatever, I think they look great and I'll like the sharp tips too.
So as soon as I'm finished with my custom orders...this'll be my treat.

Not a bad carrot.

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  10:42:52 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the main thing for the tags is to identify what size needle you were using on a UFO if you have to take the needle tips for something else. Say You have have a sweater on size 8s and you suddenly need the 8s to make a scarf. Then when you go back to the sweater and you can't remember which size needle you had on there. But wait, you put a tag on it! You are OK!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  11:30:28 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brilliant!

And yes, I have been in that pickle before.

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/

Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  10:17:10 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stick the little tags down into the pockets in my needle organizer so that I know what size tip goes in which pocket. They are useful little things.
Go to Top of Page

elsieh99
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  3:08:33 PM  Show Profile Send elsieh99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just ordered some of these needles yesterday and can't wait to get them. I have Addis in every size and extra of some sizes but I have so many projects going at the same time I thought I might try these new ones. The points look nice and pointy for lace knitting and the reviews here are so good I had to try. I will post when I have knitted with them.

Elsie
Go to Top of Page

chamomille@charter.net
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  06:09:42 AM  Show Profile Send chamomille@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI;
I have been using Audi Tubo circular needles. I like them because the join is smooth. I was tempted to invest in the Knit Picks Option set but wanted more feedback before I made the investment. I already have most of the needles I need, but that has never stopped me before. I would appreciate feedback from those who have used them. I work mostly in worsted-bulky yarns. Thanks alot for the help. It is also good to hear that there are other knitters out there who are as obsessed about everything and anything to do with knitting. My husband wants to know if there is a twelve step program I can join.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

WhiteStar
Chatty Knitter

199 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  08:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit WhiteStar's Homepage Send WhiteStar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I LOVE the tags!! I already have two sets and am going to get two more. Why? well.....um..... becuase I have so many projects going that I keep taking the tips off to use for soemthng else! Need more cables now too.

Nancy mentioned the joins.. they are seamless. You can even use them on lace....

Anne in Colorado
http://whitestarsams.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraPurl
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  2:18:03 PM  Show Profile Send SandraPurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just received my Knit Pick Options a week after I ordered the set. Had to secure the needles twice and they have stayed on ever since. The cable is great, much better than any of my other cabled needles which are always twisting and turning while I am knitting. I only wish they made the needles a little longer. I have a few circulars with longer needles and prefer the lenghtier ones. Also the stitches aren't moving smoothly from the cable to the needle but I think that is because I am using the 10.5 needle and it is very thick. I don't think I will have that problem with the smaller size needles. I am very happy that I purchased this set!

SandraPurl
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  1:49:04 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just ordered 6 more tips to complete my sizes of needles. I ordered two different longer sized cables and the tags, too. Maybe I should have just gone with the set, but I got everything I wanted for about $40. I've really enjoyed using these. I do wish they made a 16" cable, and I wish the cables were as thick as my Addi's. But, all in all, I've been pretty happy. The needles I just bought would have cost over $100 in Addi's.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  7:08:42 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have had mine for awhile. Started using them this week, and so far they are great. I live in fear though of having the cables come loose as I cannot imagine putting a couple of hundred stitches back on the needles but so far all is wonderful. I too wish they made the 16" cable. I had to use another set to start this project on a 16-inch cable. Especially since I will need that size once I start on the winter hats. Couldn't find an email address to encourage the manufacturing of a 16-inch cable.

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

Sharno
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  01:08:21 AM  Show Profile Send Sharno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was telling a friend of mine about these needles and the response they were getting on this forum. She called me back 15 minutes later and told me that she had ordered sets for both of us! Lucky me! I've been knitting with these needles for a few weeks now, and I love them. The joins are very smooth, and I've never had a problem with the cable coming apart. Hooray for KnitPicks and this wonderful product.
--Sharon
Go to Top of Page

2trees
Seriously Hooked

749 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  10:14:06 PM  Show Profile Send 2trees a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only real complaint about these needles so far- the @#&$%^ key doesn't fit! I've been using a safety pin to tighten them. :(

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Go to Top of Page

Sharno
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  01:18:53 AM  Show Profile Send Sharno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2trees--I haven't had this problem with the key but I've tried a paper clip and it worked. Gotta be safer on those fingers than a safety pin.
--Sharon
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  05:12:07 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was making a scarf on a short size 10 Addi. I found that when I had just a few stitches on a needle if I let go the stiff cable would make the needle just pop right out of the stitches! So I pulled out my Options set and switched to that. No more problems!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  09:53:45 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking at my needles last night and held them up to some 16 inch Addi's. That's when I realized that KP can't possibly make a cord short enough to make a 16 inch with these tips - they're too long! They could probably get away with a 20 inch, but not a 16. Bummer! Well, I'd take the 20 inch, cuz for an adult hat, it would be okay. But they would have to either make regular old (non interchangeable) circs for the 16 inch, or make a special, shorter needle in order to make a 16 inch......HEY! A shorter tip screwed into a shorter cable to make a 16 inch circ would give us a cable that screwed into the tips we have now would give us that 20 inch circ! Hmmm.

Surely KnitPicks has SOMETHING in the works for those shorter needles - they can't expect people to buy their brand for everything EXCEPT 16 inch needles, can they????

2trees - did you call about your non-fitting key? It almost sounds like they've used more than one manufacturer, doesn't it? How else would people be getting different merchandise? I've been impressed that this little key doesn't bend when I exert considerable force on it. A paperclip has been suggested as a replacement for lost keys, but we bend them all the time, so it can't be as strong.
Go to Top of Page

nightowl
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  5:52:41 PM  Show Profile Send nightowl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Options arrived a couple of days ago. I am definitely hooked--er, cabled--er,--well, you get the point. I LOVES 'em!

I am way too cheap to spend good $ on tags when I could be buying more needles, yarn, books, etc. I just write the needle size on a little scrap of paper & poke the cable into it.

The end caps are beyond great! I now have **60" straights** which is wonderful! I love the Clover flex needles EXCEPT for the %@!@%*!!@ join and, of course, the "cable whipcords"; with the Options I have lotsa flex needles (as long as I skip the tags, <g>).

Thanks for all the feedback, you guys. And thanks to Clara for this fabulous forum!

Nightowl --
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  9:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course I caved and bought the set plus a few of the larger needles and cables too - Now no one laugh too loud at me but all the discussion of the 16 inch and hats made me wonder if we could do hats on 2 circulars like we do socks?? Remember I am still fairly new at all of this so be kind

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  04:51:23 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knit Picks really should be sending money to support this forum! They have gotten soooooo much free advertising from it. I never HEARD of them before I came here. I now have a full set of their needles, and gave up my only copy of their catalogue to my dd who plans to order a set. I may have stumbled upon them in my web surfing, but I never would have ordered that much without the recommendations I found here. (Maybe they already DO support KR - think I'll just go check out the honor roll)
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  09:27:04 AM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rho, yes you could use 2 circulars for hats. You could also use magic loop.

KS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.