Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  05:19:18 AM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love these needles! I have been waiting for a nickel plated set (wish Addi would have done this a long time ago) and was not disappointed with the Knit Picks set. I ordered the set, then added the additional larger tips, extra cords, pouches, needle sizer. I would highly recommend this set if you like Addis.

J.
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  08:38:16 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mandamia, they seem pointier than the Boye interchangeables which I've used. I don't know about the balene.

Zola, they are even more awesome to use than to admire! ;)
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  12:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a couple, and am very pleased with the concept. The cords are actually more flexible and more pleasant to work with than the cords on any circular needle I have tried. The hole in the end of the needle for tightening is also a great time saver for inserting a strand of waste yarn while knitting the final row (yes, it is the little things!). But check all your joins -- I had a couple of bad ones. I haven't heard back yet, but I am sure they will take them back and replace them since I am within the 30 day warranty period. Sarah.
Go to Top of Page

needlesnhooks
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  12:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit needlesnhooks's Homepage Send needlesnhooks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've finished knitting a tank top with my Options needles. I'm a long-time Addi fan and I liked the Options a lot. So much so that I bought all the extras for my set so I have anything I want when I want it.

I did e-mail them with a request for 40" circulars in the small diameters (I do magic loop 2-at-a-time socks) and also for couplers for the cables so that I can easily switch to a longer cable, etc. I got a nice e-mail back saying that they came out with limited options to begin with to gauge what the response would be. If they find that people are liking them, they'll expand the range. So, my advice is to e-mail them your feedback and requests.

As for the sizes and what they're called, they match up with the Addi sizes, and it's pretty clear that their primary target customer base was Addi fans. I have a number of projects on needles right now, and because I like the Options cables better, I'm gonna switch to them, and I like that I don't have to worry whether they are the same size as my Addis.

Now, something new. Having worked a whole project, I'm noticing some tarnish-like discoloration at the tips of the points I was using. I need to look at it better in the light and try cleaning them. But I've never seen it with Addi. Anyone else see this?

amy!
http://www.almostrandom.com/needlesnhooks
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  06:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine came yesterday. As soon as I finish the border on this baby blanket, I'm casting on some Knit Pick's Red Hat yarn for some socks on my new needles to give them a try. Normally I would just cast on but I really want to finish the baby blanket first.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

T
Warming Up

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  07:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit T's Homepage Send T a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really loving my new knit picks needles also. I did have some trouble with the joins at first, but I blew out all the needle tips and I also cleaned the threads on the cords and now all is fine. I do think I might be noticing some tarnishing on the tips? Not sure. I thought perhaps it was the light?
Will be curious if others experience this also and if this is something that will discolor yarn?

T. Van Hoecke

Hand-Crafted items and Artwork FOR SALE - http://TinaVanHoecke.etsy.com

EBAY SALES - http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZtQ2evanhoecke

BLOG - http://vanhookee.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntieK
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  07:48:40 AM  Show Profile Send AuntieK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
needlesnhook,

Regarding your comment: "Having worked a whole project, I'm noticing some tarnish-like discoloration at the tips of the points I was using. I need to look at it better in the light and try cleaning them. But I've never seen it with Addi. Anyone else see this"

Yes, I have had my Addi discolor and once or twice actually wear down the top coating of the nickel plating. It happened on needles that I use the most. Once when one needle wore down too much (left a rough spot) and too quickly after buying, I took it to the LYS where I bought it and they replaced the needle. I also have purchased the Options set but haven't yet used them enough to determine if this is going to happen with them. But I would definitely email KP and tell them if it did just so they know about it.

K
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  1:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please let us know what KP say's about the tarnishing.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

ArtLady
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  4:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtLady's Homepage Send ArtLady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding "tarnishing" on the tips of the new KP Options: FYI:
My girlfriend and I used to be avid crosstitchers, working for hours and hours everyday. We purchased very expensive crosstitch needles, they had an extra fine grade coating, either in nickel or goldtone...but my point is this: the finish on her needles would crackle or "craze" with extended use...whereas mine, same brand, same amount of use, would not. It was finally determined that the difference was our hands. Different folks' hands secrete different acids, etc. She just grew used to it, and replaced her needles when the finish became too "crackled" to make smooth stitching in and out of the fabric. Another thing the shop owner, who had exchanged several needles for her, thinking it was a defective needle or two, suggested: watch out for the lotions you are using on your hands. Frequently clean your hand with a clean cool moist cloth, and dry, to remove acids from your hands. This helped extend the life of her needles, but did not cure the problem. She finally quit purchasing the expensive needles, because she got just as much life out of the regular priced needles. They all "crackle" or "craze" on her eventually.

Art Lady
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  04:43:43 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost finished with a large project on the KP Options needle and have not noticed any discoloration/tarnish. It could be as Art Lady said and just the difference in people. I have one set of Addis that has done this, and they are some I bought when I first learned to knit and was knitting rather tightly. I think I'm the cause of the discoloration, because I was just putting so much pressure and friction on the needles.
Go to Top of Page

WrensMom
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  4:33:17 PM  Show Profile Send WrensMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really interested in these. Wish I had known sooner that KP was planning on introducing these, and I would have waited on getting the needlemaster set I got a couple of months ago--oh well, I got it at Michael's with a 50% off coupon, so no biggie deal, I guess.

I am really wondering what Skacel's response is going to be to this--will they drop the price of Addis? Would be nice if they did. If these KP needles are as good as it sounds, they will for sure take a sizeable bite out of the Addi market!

My blog (just getting started, don't expect much yet!) http://sitnknitabit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  6:52:26 PM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can say is WOW! What wonderful needles these are. The joins are flawless and as for those pointy tips I've heard mentioned, I'm a "pusher" and haven't had any problem with them. About the case, it is a nice looking case. However, the needles come on a card with the sizes clearly labeled and I still haven't felt the need to take the needles off the card that I'm storing them on. In addition, I haven't felt the need to remove the cables from the plastic bags that I'm storing them in, the same ones that they arrived in. Run to Knitpics and pick up a set. These are just terrific needles. And I'm a loyal Addi user or I should say I WAS a loyal Addis user.

Joy
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  07:20:21 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read this whole thread - just dove in here and there and idly following since the needles came out. These definitely sound like great needles.

But - am I the only one who wants to wait maybe 6 mos to pick some up? I want to see 1) how much people love them in a few months, after they've been used a bit, and 2) how KnitPicks does with V.2 of the needles. My experience with KP is that they never settle for just "OK" - if something isn't working for them, they revise the product. (one reason why I can't stay away from them - they probably get more of my knitting money than anybody, even though their stuff is inexpensive.)

I suspect they're Pretty Darn Pleased with their needles, especially how many they're selling!! But still, if anybody starts to have problems in 3 or 4 months, I'm guessing there will be a revision to the product.

Make sense? Or am I out to lunch?
Go to Top of Page

tyffaneesue
Gabber Extraordinaire

572 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  10:54:23 AM  Show Profile Send tyffaneesue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just checked KnitPicks--there is now a 2 week shipping delay thanks to popularity (or bug fixes?) I wonder how many of those sales are due to KR?!?
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  12:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for their 60 inch cables to come in before I order. Since I have plenty of Addi's and Inox needles but hestitated in buying more; needed longer cable. An interchangeable set makes more sense but didn't want what's currently on the market until Knitpicks came along.

Elsie W
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  1:18:47 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting, too, mama. I've read about a few problems with them and I certainly don't NEED any more needles.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

ArtLady
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  11:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtLady's Homepage Send ArtLady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Followup: I am very happy with the level of customer service that Knit Picks gives! As stated in an earlier post, I received my full set of KP Options...rapid delivery I might add. Upon inspecting all my needle tips and the connectors, etc...discovered that the threaded end of a sz 15 tip was too big for the cable end. It slipped on easily, and slipped off. It did not "thread" or "screw on". I called KP on 7-21-06. No questions asked, they said they would send out a new set of sz 15 needle tips. Today is 7-29-06...my new tips arrived in today's mail. And they are perfect! Now isn't that excellent customer service? 5 business days! Thanks KP! I love your new Options needles, especially love the suppleness of the cables...which is usually a fight on almost every other brand of cable needle! Keep up the good work...and the GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! It is the mark of a company that cares and will stay in business.

Art Lady
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3993 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  04:44:52 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WrensMom

I am really wondering what Skacel's response is going to be to this--will they drop the price of Addis? Would be nice if they did.

Since Inox needles are half the price of Addis and there hasn't been a price drop, I doubt there will be a price drop in response. According to my LYS, the Inox needles are cheaper because they are made and shipped from Mexico. I love Inox so the KP needles are very tempting.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  07:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, after reading this thread I decided I would order a single circular. Well, I have two cables but one set of needle tips. I LOVE these needles! I'll be ordering the whole set now. Thanks so much, Knitter's Review.

Kay

www.knittinggalnokc.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  05:58:25 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Over the last couple of weeks, I've used 3 of the 5 pairs I got and have had no problems with tarnishing or joins (1 needle was a little hard to screw on but I blew in it and it was fine). For me, the best things about these needles is the interchangeability and the flexible cords. The sharp points are a plus for lace. I did not get the set because I really don't need more of the larger sizes and I wanted the 40 inch cords. The ability to mix and match needles and cords is a brilliant idea. With any new product there are going to be a few glitches but it looks like problems are being handled responsively. It is great to get a new product which has taken the needs of the knitting consumer into account.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.51 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?