Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  06:18:12 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by achrisvet

quote:
Originally posted by dschmidt

quote:
Originally posted by Slipped Stitch

I don't know about you gals, but wouldn't it just make sense to do away with US sizes and go metric ( ever since Brittany put the metric sizes on their needles, my straights are all metric and I've been keeping track, most patterns are specifying metric size needles too ).

Go metric???? Shocking! We are the United States and we cannot use metric. How unpatriotic! I am shocked by the suggestion.[:00]

Donna in VA

LOL! Gracious, no! Not entierely! Just knitting needle sizes!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

No,no, no, we can't do that. It's the beginning of a slippery slope to all metric measurement and we do not want to use a system that the rest of the world uses. We are the United States and we have standards after all.[crazy]

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

Savitar
Chatty Knitter

311 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  07:51:11 AM  Show Profile Send Savitar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had a chance to try the needles out with ribbon yarn -- are they too sharp? Seems like one of the posters thought it might be. I am wanting to try magic loop with a mobieus scarf with Colinette Giotto, and was disappointed that, in order to start this new technique, I'd have to go out and buy a whole bunch of new needles. This interchangeable set would help a lot!
Go to Top of Page

Zari
Chatty Knitter

133 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  1:45:27 PM  Show Profile Send Zari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I love grabby needles (which, coincidentally, is why I make my own needles for lace projects, so I can sharpen the bejeesus out of them and still have a nice hardwood set), but since I've started doing larger lace projects (center-out shawls anyone?) I've had to switch to circs and it's not been fun. I like the sound of these tips and the slippery cord, but is there any way to roughen up the tips, do you think? Maybe swab them with really fine steel wool, so they're not rough enough to tear up your yarn, but just hold onto it a bit better?
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  4:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spindyerella

I ordered a set last night. I've tried the Denise--hate them! I also have Plymouth bamboo--love them--and Boye--like them well enough and have no trouble with joins coming undone. I am an Addi fanatic, though, and these look so similar that I had to give them a try.

Spindy, I am with you....I love my Plymouth bamboo set, especially since I can get extras from the Webs set now....I have the Boye set, and like the tips but not the aluminum.

I just ordered the case and stuff for storing my existing circs, but now realize I should just have ordered the complete set, which I may still do after assessing the case. Or I may just fill in the circs sizes, ( I have a lot of Addi's in larger gauges and really small, but not the middle ground.) Anyway, I shall see once I get it. Should be at home as we speak.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Yellowrose
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  09:04:20 AM  Show Profile Send Yellowrose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I too ordered the KP Options set and I think I will be very happy with the needles. This is just a note to let you all know that you need to check the pairs to be sure they are the same size. My size 10 pair had one size 10 and the other a 10.5. So now, I have one 10 and 3 10.5's. I called KP and they are going to send me another pair of size 10's. At the same time, I ordered the larger size tips that did not come with the set.

I appreciate all the information all of your have taken the time to write about this topic.

Lyn
Go to Top of Page

WIPQueen
Warming Up

91 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  10:51:50 AM  Show Profile Send WIPQueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I saw this thread and wanted to post a comment.

I just recently bought some of the Knit Pick Options needle to try out. I din't buy the whole set tho' because like most of you I have a lot of money invested in Addi turbos. So to try them I ordered tips in sizes 4 and 6 and cords in 24" and 32". I ordered them to make Janet Szabo's Follow the Leader Aran Knitalong (FLAK) for my husband.

First of all, I would like to say that yes the tips are sharp, very sharp. The tips on the size 4 points are sharper than my size 1 Addi's, which is good but I find that my fingertips are a little sore after knitting with them for a while. Secondly, I like the caps that come with the cables. The cables themselves make great stitch holders once the caps are in place. All you have to do is remove the tips put the screw on caps on the ends of the cable and put the tips on a new cable to continue. I was ready to order additional tips, but I noticed that they are out of stock due to high demand. So I guess I'll have to wait a while.
Go to Top of Page

Meadra
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  11:39:42 AM  Show Profile Send Meadra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I just checked my order status for the set of size 5 needles tips and 40" cords I ordered on 7/13 and they shipped on the 14th, even though when I placed the order it said the cords were backordered. KnitPicks is doing a great job trying to keep up with demand.

Christy
Go to Top of Page

ana
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  12:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit ana's Homepage Send ana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did it. I ordered. I was holding out, to see if the urge went away, but just couldnt' do it. I ordered the entire set even though I have most of the sizes in my Addi collection. I'm a little nervous about the tips being so sharp because I do push the needle out with my finger (a habit I'm trying to break).

Since I knit socks with two circulars, I'll just buy a couple more Addi's in sock sizes (2 & 3) and I should be good. I can't wait to receive them :)

ana purls
Go to Top of Page

wizzer11
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  12:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Send wizzer11 a Yahoo! Message Send wizzer11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm planning on ordering the set once I get my check in. I am convinced that these are going to be great needles and can't wait to get them. I have gotten a lot of great ideas from everyone on this forum.
~Ana
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  7:57:09 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cknits

Ack! Glad I read this page of the thread before starting the second side of my Mystery Stole. I have a KP needle, size 3, in the first half of my Stole and an Inox ready to start the second side. I should have known better than to assume that they would be the same size.

Carrie

Just go by the metric sizing. Is your Inox a 3.25 mm? The the KP one will go fine with it. If your Inox is 3.0 mm, the the US 2 KP (apparently) will work. I have a KP needle on one end and a Hiyahiya needle (knittingzone.com) in the other end of my Mystery Stole.

For those concerned about sore finger tips - I do the same thing and I'm trying to stop. I think this KP needle is starting to train me to stop! Pain will do that!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

ArtLady
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  01:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtLady's Homepage Send ArtLady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Knitter's Review Folks, for your input about the new interchageable circs developed by Knit Picks. I don't know what led me to your website...a link from Knitting Forum maybe...but I am ever so glad I found your discussions about Knit Picks' new circ set! I purchased them online directly from Knit Picks on June 26, and they arrive on July 11th! Pretty good! They ARE FABULOUS! Very smooth knitting, and actually, right now I am making a sweater using Elsebeth Lavold's Cotton Patine...3 colored striped pullover. Tonight I switched out my Addis for the Knit Picks interchangeable circ...and voila! My speed increased! The pointy tips are more accurate, and my silver stitch markers move faster from needle to needle, too! I am zoomin' Not a problem splitting the yarn either, which Patine has a reputation for. I purchased the full monty...$106 total for the basic set, needle size thingies, extra cables (40" and 47"), the sizes 13,15 and 17 tips and extra storage pouches for the very elegant zippered needle case! Anyway, although I own a full set of Addis in every imaginable length, as well as Crystal Palace circs too...Oh, and the Denise Interchageable set of circs, too...still...I am VERY PLEASED that I own this new set of needles. I may be hooked on them! WARNING: When you receive your set, join/screw EVERY NEEDLE TIP onto a cable end, and make sure that all the threading fits properly. Their guarantee is a 30 days to complain policy. My entire set had just one huge flaw: the female coupling of one of my size 15 needle tips was TOO BIG. And from what I can see, the threading (rifling) inside the end of the needle tip is very faint, not sufficient. Either that, or the hole is just too darn big. It "slips onto" the threads of the cable...and slips off, too. I will call KP tomorrow. Will let ya'all know how they remedy this issue. Thanks again for very precise and informational reviews of all the interchangeable circ sets. I agree with all your input!

Art Lady
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  09:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered just the case for my existing needles, but may also look at my overall needles....the thing is that I really like my bamboo set. The case is perfect for my needles, but in looking at the needles, I may have to cull a bit, and i may wind up replacing some with the KP options open stock items....I can't really justify a whole nother set witht he Plymouth that I love.

I do like the case and accompaniments, but the case did not have a zipper pull....I have not decided whether I want to return as a result, but maybe I will and get the complete set. Have not decided yet.

Someone was saying that the case was too big and heavy, but I kind of like it because it is right size and shape for the bookcase! How's that for storage?

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  2:27:33 PM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I received my set today! Woot!!!

For some reason, I was visualizing the case as the size of a regular spiral notebook. LOL!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

ArtLady
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  4:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtLady's Homepage Send ArtLady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I called KP today regarding the "too large" female coupling at the end of my size 15 needle tips (they slip on and off without threading).
KP was most apologetic. Did not question my complaint at all. Said they would send me a new set ASAP. Good customer service.

Art Lady
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  7:02:51 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by achrisvet

quote:
Originally posted by cknits

Ack! Glad I read this page of the thread before starting the second side of my Mystery Stole. I have a KP needle, size 3, in the first half of my Stole and an Inox ready to start the second side. I should have known better than to assume that they would be the same size.

Carrie

Just go by the metric sizing. Is your Inox a 3.25 mm? The the KP one will go fine with it. If your Inox is 3.0 mm, the the US 2 KP (apparently) will work. I have a KP needle on one end and a Hiyahiya needle (knittingzone.com) in the other end of my Mystery Stole.

For those concerned about sore finger tips - I do the same thing and I'm trying to stop. I think this KP needle is starting to train me to stop! Pain will do that!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

I just happened to look at my Skacel (Addi) needle sizer. It lists size US 2 as 3 mm, and size 1 as 2.5 mm. So KP is in good company calling their 3 mm a US 2.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  7:16:40 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Anita,

I dug my needle sizer out of the basket and checked the two needle the next a.m. Both the Inox and the KP are 3.25, so I shouldn't have any problem. The lace looks even and knit at same gauge. I really prefer using the KP needles more than the Inox. Something about the Gray's finish reminds me of scraping a chalkboard.

Carrie

Carrie
Go to Top of Page

brc6c
New Pal

0 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  07:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit brc6c's Homepage Send brc6c a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so glad to have found this! I'm getting ready to place and order and am now really excited to do so.

I was surprised they only have the very small double points. I do a fair number of felted items and need larger double points. I guess I could use sort of a modified magic loop and extra tips, but I was wondering if anyone had a better (or different) solution and/or thoughts on why KP didn't come out with a full line of DPs.
Go to Top of Page

mandamia
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  10:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit mandamia's Homepage Send mandamia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got birthday money burning a hole in my pocket that wants to be spent on these needles, but I still have a question. How do the points compare to the "perfection points" of Balene needles and Boye circulars? I can't imagine any needle being pointier than those!
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  11:29:49 AM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mandamia: I don't know necessarily about Balene and Boyes, but these are, bar none, the sharpest points I've seen on a knitting needle.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/QueenLorien/USALaceTeam.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  4:34:05 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw some today at the Sun group. They look wonderful I will definitly be getting a set. The tips were awesome.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.