Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knit Picks "Options" needles?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

quikeye
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  9:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit quikeye's Homepage Send quikeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I want these even though I have no use for them having almost a full set of Addis already.

http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/KPNeedles.aspx

Man, interchangeable needle system, nickel plated like addis but with super sharp tip. And a set fo sock sized non-interchangeabales too...

I wish they came in US sizing in the sock sizes though!! (They have 2.5mm & 3.0mm like the addis, wish they had 2.25 & 2.75mm).

http://sockpr0n.blogspot.com

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  04:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just had to order a set. Thank you for the enabling. I needed 4 needle sizes (seems mine all disappear - probably into UFO's) so it just seemed like I might as well get them all at once.

If these are good I'm selling off the Denise's. I'll report back on how they are. I need to cast on as soon as they get here.

I wish anyone make a good interchangeable for sock sizes. It's not impossible. I have an old set that my gram had, made by Susan Bates and the smallest size in there is US1. Unfortunately they're really old and the cables have broken in the longer lengths.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  04:28:37 AM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, please do report back. I've been toying with getting a Denise set; now maybe I'll wait. (Of course in the meantime I am buying circulars in every size known to man ... or woman!)

Hilary

http://hilaryknitstoo.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  04:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to get the dp's
and maybe also the set in the case
but not right now
I got to get a dehydrator that is bigger then the one i have

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  05:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm especially interested in the tips (I'd like them to be a little pointier than Addis) and the cords (are they really soft?). Please let us know!

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  05:21:33 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, it looks like these fit a void in interchangeable sets. It also seems like Knitpicks tried to address many concerns with interchangeables. I've grown to appreciate my Denise more over time but these are tempting (and unlike Vi, I don't need a bigger dehydrator). Wish the 0 to 3 sizes came in 40 inch lengths for Magic Loop. Thanks for sharing, Quikeye - you do have a quick eye, since I just ordered from the site and did not notice these.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  06:59:35 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be watching this thread to find out if these live up to their promise.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  08:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad these are finally out! They sent me early prototypes many months ago, and I've been sitting on a full kit (not literally of course) for about a month now. They've asked that I not publish a full review until they've had time to make sure there are no kinks in the supply chain.

But until then... I can offer a Reader's Digest version of a review:

First, the cord is much finer and more flexible than the Addi-style needles. And MUCH thinner than the Denise. It takes a little getting used to if you've only knit with the thicker cords. I kept fearing it'd break, but no. The join with the needles is firm - there's no rotation in a socket, as with the Lantern Moon and Crystal Palace circs.

Second, the tips. YES, they are much more pointed than any of the other metal circulars (or even DPNs) out there. I like it because you can have much better control, especially with things like lacework. But I do know some people knit by pushing the tip of the needle back with one finger after they've worked a stitch, and you'll definitely develop a blister if you do it with these ones. But I really, really like the tip on the finer sizes in particular. Just looking at them makes me want to knit socks. You get much more control, coupled with greater speed with the metal surface.

Third, the construction. On the interchangeables, they come with a little pin-like device that you use to tighten the cord to the needle. You need it. If you just screw the needle to the cord it'll come undone as you knit.

One of the larger needles in my set had a dent in it, and in general the interchangeables had a bit of wear at the spot where the needle begins to taper down to the tip. It was as if they'd all been tossed in a big box and shipped from India, and the ocean was a bit rough in transit. (I'm not saying that's what happened, but that's how it looked.) I don't particularly care, but it was noticeable.

That's my two cents. Of course this is completely unofficial, ahem ahem.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  08:19:07 AM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I have the Boyes set and it looks like this addresses a lot of my issues with it: no longer-length cables and fairly inflexible cables.

On the other hand it introduces some new issues. Stopping at size 4 seems a little too high for me (I'm not a sock knitter, but I am apparently a loose knitter, and just knit Picovoli on size 2's on a thin sportweight yarn.) There are also no shorter-length cables. (I wonder why not?)

Still, I'd like some. Maybe I'll order an individual set or two in sizes I think I'll use a lot and try them. Or maybe when I'm not broke I'll just order the set. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  08:21:09 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review Clara and Boogie look forward to hearing what you have to say. They look like something I might have to have!

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  08:26:39 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might have to give these a try. I have the Denise set but I think the cord is a bit clunky and I've had some issues with things breaking (and Denise has great service, which is nice, but stuff still broke). I wish the 'base' set came with longer cords but at $3.99 a pop for the longer cords I can't really complain that much.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  09:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had concerns right off too (but they already LOOK better than Denise's to me). I'm trying to reserve all opinions until they come in. I ordered them today so maybe sometime next week I'll have them. I hope. I need to get this angora on a big needle :) I cringe a bit at the idea of not using bamboos but I think the angora will be a nice test.

Then if I like them I'll be ordering longer cables.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  10:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Clara! Are they comparable (needle tip that is) to Inox? Inox are my favs, and I'm thinking of getting one of these and selling my Denise (I love the clickity of metal)....but if the tips aren't pointy, I'll pass..

When will you put forth the "official" review???

Boogie I'm looking forward to your review as well...

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy my Blog http://www.xanga.com/cozystitches
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

newknitwit66
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  10:31:22 AM  Show Profile Send newknitwit66 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to Knitpicks and have a question. Because they sell the tips and cables seperately, does that mean I can kind of try them out by purchasing one set of needle tips and one cable? It would be very nice to try them out before I purchase the entire set.

Terry

2006: FO's: 31 ~ Casted on right now: 3
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  10:44:51 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooooh! I love that they have double points in nickel-plated brass.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

lisab
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  1:19:31 PM  Show Profile Send lisab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've knit with lots of circs but all have had fairly dull points - wondering if I'd adapt (or could find a flexible, point-proof thimble)?

The cords have the same kind of screw-on and tighten-with-key assembly as the Boye Needlemaster. (Useful assembly and surely long,long out of patent; I have some pretty ancient needlemaster sets). The needlemaster 2s and 3s are admittedly clunky in transition from needle to cord; I can see why they didn't try to modular-ize that size.

I just don't know what to make of the ala carte system - would be another $33 to have all the needle and cable sizes (one more cable and one less needle size than the needlemaster kit) - bringing the grand total to $92 - my last few needlemaster sets, with promotions or store coupons, were purchased for under $40. The Denise is under $50. I've already got quite a few other needles, including addi turbos and multiple needlemaster sets, so I'll wait and see what other budget minded addi fans have to say about this one. In any case, good on Knitpicks for investing in trying to create a better modular needle system!
Go to Top of Page

lisab
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  1:31:18 PM  Show Profile Send lisab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two afterthoughts; I hit send too quick! - 1) that Bass Pro bait bag concept has really taken off, hasn't it? Credit Clara for that, I guess! A baggie binder is bound to be a lot easier to work with than the plastic loops that I always swear at with the Boye - inevitably some are too tight for the size they are supposed to hold, and others too loose.

2) Terry - the one thing you'd be missing with just the tips and cable is the key that locks them together - also it doesn't hurt to also have a little 1" swatch of texturized rubber (like those jar opening grippers in the home stores, but smaller), to help keep the assembly firmly in place as you lock it. (Sounds complicated? It's not.) I already have those keys from the Boye set, but if you can find a little piece of thicker rigid wire and are at all handy with pliers (jewelry or hardware store kind), you can make one yourself. See the picture of the cable key: http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/KPNeedles.aspx
(Also, you might find those keys in Michael's and other stores where the the needlemaster/Knitmate accessories are sold.)

Come to think, that sounds like a good idea, to test it out! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  1:39:48 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These look fabulous! I'm looking forward to the reviews coming in once people's sets arrive. I'm not yet ready to commit!

I like the idea of a dpn set-- but they look too slick for my preferences...

http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/MichelleD
I' m running a marathon with Team in Training-- Click to help fight blood cancers with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society!
Go to Top of Page

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  4:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
the one thing you'd be missing with just the tips and cable is the key that locks them together

The individual cables do come with a key

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Kim
I have a blog! Kim Knits
Snowflakes and Arrows Vest KAL
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  11:03:15 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about these, but I'm always misplacing the keys for my Boyes and I've found that a partially unbent paperclip (especially the larger size ones) works pretty well, too.
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  07:07:29 AM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just ordered a set plus 2 of the smaller circular and one set of DP. I told DH that Knitpicks has just come out with new needles and he said, "so why don't you order them." I said, "Because they are $60 just for the base set and then there are extras." He replied, "Well order them, but keep it under $100." So I did.

What a guy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.