Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 DB Cashmerino reviewed this week
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  06:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I'll be the first to talk about Debbie Bliss Cashmerino which Clara reviewed this week.

Baby Cashmerino is my yarn of choice for baby things and Debbie Bliss is still my favorite for patterns for babies and kids and has been since 1988. As I'm typing I have a baby cashmerino size 18month Fair Isle sweater waiting for buttons and a cabled pullover size 2year in her cotton DK yarn waiting for the hood to be finished, both patterns from one of her books.

Just as Clara said, Baby Cashmerino is a joy to knit with, washes beautifully, and is soft, soft. soft. I consider it on par with luxury yarn for babies. The colors are somewhat limited but when all is said and done they are actually quite sophisticated. You won't find Pepto-Bismal Pink or Necco Mint in her palette.

GFTC of NYC

the pictures tell the story
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/

adellel
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  07:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit adellel's Homepage Send adellel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this yarn. Use it for baby sweaters all of the time! So far, it has worked out wonderfully for me - no complaints here.
Go to Top of Page

ghk
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  08:05:25 AM  Show Profile Send ghk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you guys handwash, as Clara suggests in her review? Or gentle cycle?

I haven't used the yarn yet, and have hesitated because of the wear and tear issues--which I've heard a LOT of people complain about. I'd hate to put so much effort into knitting something that would look raggedy after a short time.

G.
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  08:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say that Cashmerino just don't impress me, maybe because of the cult following that it has.

Cult followings usually make me run the other way, or at least did my heels in. Something about being a lemming just turns me off.

Maybe it's the inevitable cliff.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mykidzmom5@yahoo.com
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  10:21:30 AM  Show Profile Send mykidzmom5@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not have a good experience with this yarn. I spent in excess of $100.00 to make a sweater for my granddaughter for her birthday. My daughter washed it according to the band instructions. It looked like it had been dragged behind a truck after only 2-3 wearings and 1 wash. I would not use it again.
Go to Top of Page

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  10:38:30 AM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with mykidzmom. I went to a LYS and requested a machine washable yarn for a shawl that my sil could use to wrap herself and her spitting-up-newborn in. They recommended the Cashmerino. After that thing came out of the machine the first time the shawl was big enough to wrap two entire families in. I might consider using it again for something, but nothing I didn't plan on handwashing... and nothing as big as a wrap or grown-up sweater.

Yvonne
"Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been."-Mark Twain
http://ybrach.photosite.com/
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  11:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because of its price, I have never used this yarn for sweaters or other larger garments. However, it's perfect for a scarf or a smaller project like that that doesn't need so much wearing/washing cycles like that of a garment (I have heard that it pills quite a bit too). I don't mind that it has a cult following - it doesn't affect my own personal opinion of it. Knitting up with this yarn definately is soothing to my fingers. I've made quite a few decorative scarves with this yarn and it works great for me. Again, however, I would not use this yarn for an actual garment, and I would definately not put it in the washer.

========================
Ruth's Knits
Go to Top of Page

Knitting Nana 60
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  11:31:50 AM  Show Profile Send Knitting Nana 60 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used Cashmerino, forget if it was the baby or sport weight, for a scarf for my goddaughter. She is a medstudent and I found a pattern for a "DNA" scarf I knew she would love. I used the Cashmerino, and told her it would need to be handwashed, and she has had no problems with it, but I would not use it for a baby garment, or anything else that needs regular washing, because I do not trust it to stay as nice after being washed by machine.

Michelle loves her scarf, and I have given her the URL for the
DNA scarf, so various of her fellow students could have one too.
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  3:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used the cashmerino chunky for a sweater, and I do like its softness. However, it was pilling before I even finished knitting it! Its also very stretchy and not good for the sewing up part. But I have to say - you can wear it without a t shirt underneath which is something for a wool yarn. Connie
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  3:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only used the Aran weight of this yarn, for a scarf that was a gift. Another Debbie Bliss yarn I liked better was her regular Merino, in either dk, Aran or chunky weight. It was not as soft but still soft enough and had great stitch definition. I made lacy baby blankets and basic sweaters with it, washed it in the machine with no problem, etc. Too bad it got eliminated (although at least I snatched some at a good price from Webs before the yarn disappeared entirely).

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Lace Lunatic
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  3:47:42 PM  Show Profile Send Lace Lunatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't get past the swatch stage with this yarn, so cannot comment on its wearability. I had purchased some Cashmerino Aran with the intent that it complement a stunning red colorway from Spirit Trail in the form of sleeves and trim for a jacket. I didn't like the feel of the microfiber as it flowed through my fingers and I hated the brown cast that the plummy color took on in artificial light.. That said, it is more than a year later and I still haven't found the right complement for the Spirit Trail yarn!

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

ShannonM
Gabber Extraordinaire

352 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  4:13:41 PM  Show Profile Send ShannonM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had luck knitting this at a tighter gauge to prevent pilling? I have some in my stash that i've been saving for just the right project ;-)

Shannon
my blog:
http://yarnandchocolate.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

louieknits
Warming Up

64 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  8:46:40 PM  Show Profile Send louieknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit a baby sweater for a friend with the Baby Cashmerino. It felt wonderful to knit with - soooo soft. I can't comment on the wash and/or wearability, though, as she hasn't yet had her baby.
Go to Top of Page

Finnsmom
Warming Up

66 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  11:47:03 PM  Show Profile Send Finnsmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the way Cashmerino feels while I'm knitting with it, but it doesn't wear very well once it's made up. I knit a sweater from Cashmerino Aran for my second son and it was pill-y after only one washing. Our front load washer has a super delicate cycle that I use for all my handknits, including shawls and silky lacework scarves. No handknit is ever dried in the dryer at our house. Despite all that, my Cashmerino sweater looked like cr*p after a couple of washings and I retired it to the back of DS's closet before he even outgrew it.

Quite disappointing, considering price of the yarn and how much I liked knitting with it.

Morgan
Don't mind my typos- I'm usually NAK!
http://shizzyknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mj05461
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  06:42:04 AM  Show Profile Send mj05461 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knit with the Super Chunky Cashmerino. I knit an adult sweater. I throw it in the washer and dryer along with my jeans. I give it no special treatment! The ball band says machine wash and dry so thats what it gets. I figured if the swatch held up it would be ok. So far the sweater has gotten a little pilly/halo effect on it. But the sweater shaver does clean it up nice. It hasn't lost its shape that I can tell and its still sooo soft. I would knit with this yarn again... even though it is a HUGE splurge! I did find though on the super chunky that it i wasnt paying attention it did split easily. Also I did notice a lot of ends in the balls..that was a pain.
Go to Top of Page

counterculture
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  08:01:26 AM  Show Profile Send counterculture a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question about the tighter gauge. (Generally, that's my preference for wearability.) I'm sure I used this yarn, as a substitute for a slightly lighter weight yarn for a baby bonnet -- vintage style. I was delighted with the results, and the pattern only required one skein (found in clearance), so it was quite economical.
Go to Top of Page

Little Kitty
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  10:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Little Kitty's Homepage Send Little Kitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used Super Chunky Cashmerino for the Marilyn sweater from the Spring IK 2004 issue. I've worn it several times but haven't washed it yet, guess I'm afraid of what will happen. It pilled almost from the get-go but I don't have an issue with that since I can use a shaver. I'm more worried about it stretching to huge proportions when washed. I never planned to put it in the washer though.

I have a lot more cashmerino in my stash - aran, baby and more super chunky - because I just adore how soft it is, and how easy it is to knit with. Yes, it's high maintenance yarn...but I'm a high maintenance girl so I can relate :-)

~~ Lynette ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Gathering of Wool
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  1:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used baby cashmerino for several baby and toddler items and it was nice to knit with and I have had no major problems washing them, nor is piling a major problem. I do use a washing machine (front-loader) with a special wool-wash cycle that is actually very very gentle so maybe that helps. It is actually one of my favouritye baby-yarns and I also do like the Debbie Bliss patterns for childern although I often have to adapt the since they can be so "biggish" .

Marjolein
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  1:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used baby cashmerino for several baby and toddler items and it was nice to knit with and I have had no major problems washing them, nor is piling a major problem. I do use a washing machine (front-loader) with a special wool-wash cycle that is actually very very gentle so maybe that helps. It is actually one of my favouritye baby-yarns and I also do like the Debbie Bliss patterns for childern although I often have to adapt the since they can be so "biggish" .

Marjolein
Go to Top of Page

CJknits2much
Chatty Knitter

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  05:21:52 AM  Show Profile Send CJknits2much a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a fan.

I've used Cashmerino Aran on three or four baby blankets for grandchiildren, and they've lasted reallly well. The first one -- a simple lace hearts pattern - is nearly four years old, has been washed regularly in a pretty basic washing machine, and still looks great. It does have some pilling, but on a blanket the amount is perfectly ok.

I've also knit an entire cable sampler afghan out of it, and the yarn was a joy to work with.

It's soft, it's warm, and I do wash it in my machine.

All of that said, someplace in these forums there's a thread started by someone who knit a gorgeous Aran sweater out of this yarn, and it stretched so much after the first washing that it couldn't be worn.

I haven't had that problem, but after reading her posts, I probably wouldn't do a sweater with it!

CJ
Go to Top of Page

Kemballino
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  06:32:04 AM  Show Profile Send Kemballino a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used this yarn to make 3 jumpers for my baby, who was a happy vomiter for the first 8 months of his life - this meant washing everything he wore every day, including handknits. Jumpers were washed in my front loader on the gentle wool cycle. All 3 jumpers survived this treatment and look fine now [he's 19 months and still wearing two of them]. They pilled, but I've never met a yarn that didn't, and the lint shaver takes care of it. They have got a bit thinner, but no surprise given how hard they 've been washed. They are VERY soft in a smooth way, not a fuzzy cashmere way. My only grouch is that I made a cream jumper with a ruby red edging and the red ran a bit the first time it was washed into the cream [and again when my husband left it in a wet lump for a few hours recently]. Didn't have this problem with the green jumper with black, cream and blue fair isle. I knitted one jumper using the chunky-weight yarn without being careful enough re gauge, and it was knitted too loosely; this one has not worn nearly as well as the properly gauged baby-weight yarn garments. It's not a specially sprongy yarn, unlike pure wool. One thing, I feel that with the high percentage of microfibre this yarn is probably not as warm as others...but...I'm using her merino at the moment to make a warm ribbed jacket for my son's first trip to the snow, and am really noticing how uneven and lumpy my stitches look compared with the cashmerino!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?