Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 You Can Never, Ever Buy Yarn Again...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jewishfarmer
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  2:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jewishfarmer's Homepage Send jewishfarmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Imagine it. What's in your stash (and that includes fleece if you spin) is what you've got for the rest of your life. After you recover from the sheer horror of it all, here are the questions...

1. How long will it last you?

2. What patterns/projects do you use your remaining, precious yarn on?

3. What do you do when the yarn runs out?

My answers:

1. 3-5 years depending on how fast I knit (probably not that fast if this is it.

2. I want another hourglass sweater, and I have yarn for many pairs of socks. There's the aran tree of life sweaters in _Handknit holidays_ to consider, and of course, another Backyard Leaves scarf. Oh, and mittens. Many mittens.

3. Start growing flax, I guess? Or take up quilting.

Sharon

Jewishfarmer
"Rats and roaches live under the laws of supply and demand; it is the privelege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy" - Wendell Berry
www.casaubonsbook.blogspot.com

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  2:58:55 PM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. I knit so slow, and have so much. My stash could easily take me through another 10 years.

2. I wouldn't know where to start. I have as many patterns.

3. Spinning my cats' fur is a little more appealing in this light...

Yvonne
"Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been."-Mark Twain
http://ybrach.photosite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  2:59:41 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you know something I don't????

1. I'm thinking three to five years, too.

2. I pretty much have patterns and ideas for everything I have in stash. I would just continue to knit up what I have and use the patterns I have. (Are you sure you don't know something I need to know???)

3. I don't know! I've been knitting and subsequently buying yarn for forty plus years. I honestly don't know what I would do. However, they probably don't let you have knitting needles in padded rooms and I couldn't hold them laced up in a straight jacket anyway.

M L
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  3:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
stash? what is stash?

SABLE (Stach Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy)--well, if i live to be 100, and continue to knit every day, i guess you could say its just a stash..

See my photo albums of knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  6:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, I only have 2 sock yarns and yarn for one other project with a longterm laprobe project in the works....

I better get buying huh?

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  8:21:15 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Depends, but I'd guesstimate anywhere from five to ten years. It really depends, though, since sometimes I get frustrated or busy, and sometimes I have to pull something out three times before I manage to finish it...

2. Most of my stash really does have its future mapped out for it. I have, from this year's Stitches West, enough Black Water Abbey yarns to make two fair isle yoked cardigans, or jumpers, so those would be on the list. I'm looking forward to that a lot, actually. Some Chester Farms cotton/wool for aran cardigans for my husband and myself -- sleeves are done on his. Sock yarn, some new Euroflax (hubby was feeling like he had to buy my company to go shop for cars, but I don't want to talk about my beloved idiot of a husband, and his car disorder), ArtYarns Silk Ribbon, a ton of various wools, including two boxes of Maratona, two cones of Valley Yarns Everett Silk, and a trunk and two lateral file drawers full of other things... Plus the fuzz stash, which includes about three pounds of wool, a pound or so of silk, maybe a pound of cotton, some alpaca, some wool/angora, etc. Basically, I could probably go more towards the ten year mark, now that I think of it... (And that's all from memory, so I'm sure I've got a ton more that I'm just not remembering...)

3. Let's see, I can't buy more yarn, nor fuzz, so maybe I'd get a start on sewing up the fabric stash? What I'd do with those six trunks, though, if they were empty, I can't even speculate...

So, uh, do you know something you're not telling?

Das war ein Vorspiel nur. Dort wo man Bücher
Verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen.
--Heinrich Heine 1820
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  8:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I put myself under house arrest, and knit all day I'm guessing 10 years.

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  9:37:02 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. 5-10 years' worth. Among other things, I have 2 large drawers full of sock yarns and several hanks of lace-weight yarn. That will take lots of time.

2. Socks, sweaters, a lace shawl (maybe!)...

3. Cut sheets and old clothes into strips that I can knit with!

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  10:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Probably a couple years' worth, depending on how much I am working at the time.

2. Most of my stash has patterns "assigned" to it already, with the exception of a ton of WotA that I love but don't have enough of any one color to do anything with. I still have enough yarn for I think eight more pairs of socks, too.

3. Go back to cross-stitching and learn to quilt and sew clothes. But then, I'll do that even if I do still have yarn

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

yarnyamy
Gabber Extraordinaire

562 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  05:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnyamy's Homepage Send yarnyamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. I have a pretty big stash, but I go through it pretty fast, so I'd say about 2-3 years. 2. I have patterns in mind for some of it, so I'd probably do those first, then think about the rest. 3. First I'd cry, then I'd probably take up sewing again. (I haven't since I learned to knit)

http://frottez.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Pat in east Texas
Chatty Knitter

314 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  07:36:32 AM  Show Profile Send Pat in east Texas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I'm careful and intersperse knitting with sewing and basketmaking, maybe the rest of my life. Since socks are my favorite things to knit, I's have to make at least one sweater, a dozen hats and scarves, and many mittens between each pair of socks. After it's gone, I guess I'll have to hang out on street corners with a "will work for yarn" sign.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. I have sock yarn to last several years plus sweater yarn, lace yarn, and various odds and ends - I think I could keep going for about 7 years if I slowed down a little bit, or really dedicated myself to serial monogamy.
If I got desperate enough to use my old acrylic stores, tack on another 10 or so years. (But, yuck - I might quit first).

2. Mine pretty much have projects assigned, but I'd think of things for the odds and ends that would otherwise get donated.

3. Yikes. Um, buy a farm and some sheep! Luckily, by the time I run out, I should be well on my way to high-powered-lawyer-hood.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

Mama Bear
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  2:50:25 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Bear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not a stash it's a legacy, an inheritance! ;) I already have 2 daughter's and a granddaughter to divide it up when I'm gone, and may end up with a DIL and more granddaughters (so far no sons, grandsons, son-in-laws or nephews knit). On top of that I have several nieces. I need enough that everyone gets something they love when I'm gone. I don't want them to have to fight over yarn!

I also need to have plenty for them to visit and knit with now. They all shop in my yarn cellar. :)

If I were knitting it alone, I don't know if I could knit it up in my life time, but with all this help, it may go faster than I would imagine. At least I keep telling myself that.

Mama Bear

[img]http://beartoes.com/images/bearbutton.jpg[/img]
My Blog:www.beartoes.com
Go to Top of Page

JulieB
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
521 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  5:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit JulieB's Homepage Send JulieB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. About a year or maybe two. That includes frogging some previously made sweaters and making them into things I'll actually wear. I do *not* have enough sock yarn to make it though, so I'd have to come up with some different plans for train knitting....

2. Everything in the official stash has projects pre-assigned. The two sweaters I'm going to frog and remake are waiting for the perfect project to come along.

3. Buy an alpaca and get the Boy to make me a wheel....

Julie.

My blog: http://www.julie.stuffworld.info/
Go to Top of Page

LadySpring
Chatty Knitter

127 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  5:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit LadySpring's Homepage Send LadySpring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh goodness! Perish the thought! But if...
1. 5-7 years, depending on what I decided to knit...I could knit up 15 scarves way faster than 3 sweaters..
2. Most of the yarn is earmarked for something already but I do have a fair share that is just asking to be used in one of the patterns I have in my craft closet (about to become a whole room!! hurrah!!). I have promised myself to actually knit a sweater, socks, and a lace wall hanging out of aloo. I would love to knit myself a coat and the crochet duster in the newest Vogue Knitting magazine is pretty hot so I might try my hand at that so I could use a bit of a variety of yarn.
3. I suppose I would have to save up the $$$ I made from knitting up a storm to buy some sheep, goats, and alpacas and then learn how to spin. I would probably take out stock in "Kool-aid" as I would be purchasing a lot for dying purposes. I would also sew more and try and take up quilting and then go crazy because I wanted to knit.
E.
Knitters know a good yarn or two...
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  7:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmmmm including fleece/roving huh?
not enough I think
maybe 4 years of socks.....
hmmmmmmmmmmm
maybe another 6 months of homespun socks/mittens
not enough lace weight at all
oh my
I CAN NOT buy yarn I have to put away for winter right now

vi

make a note of that

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  04:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.
  • probably 5-7 years
  • At least one more Flidas sweater with the hollow oak cable details
  • Go live with SheliainNY

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  05:11:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have thought about this
I have a solution
BUY SHEEP

yup there you have it

walking DIY yarn store

( and lawnmower/fertilizer all in one adorable warm package)
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  05:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BessH

Hmmm.
  • Go live with SheliainNY
Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com

Great idea, Bess! [:00]
1. My stash, if you include the sock yarn, might last about 6 years. If I were to be realistic, I think it would get me through the rest of my lifetime.
2. Socks and more socks. I have some lace yarn, lots of miscellaneous yarn (for scarves and things) and yarn designated for three sweaters.
3. No problem there. When it runs out I can spin more. The fiber stash is as big or bigger than the yarn stash!

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  06:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. How long will it last you?
Years, no matter how fast and often I knit.

2. What patterns/projects do you use your remaining, precious yarn on?
I have a lot of knitting books for various categories as well as binders filled with patterns from Fiber Trends, Heartstrings, etc and all the patterns I have liberated from the knitting magazines and downloaded from the internet. I also have many stitch books. I'm covered when it comes to patterns. And I can always make up my own.

3. What do you do when the yarn runs out?
Unravel the FO's and start again!

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  06:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of sick question is this? You can never buy yarn again.........in fact after reading this thread last night I dreamt that I could no longer buy yarn. ;-)

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000