Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Lace or Cables?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

knitgray
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  1:07:32 PM  Show Profile Send knitgray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wildhorsefarmer:

I also knitted the VK Summer 2004 lace/cable sweater. I also had problems with the neckline and the front bands. I knitted the eyelet pattern starting at the front edge of the right side, across the neckline, sleeve, back, sleeve, neckline, and then down the left side. I knitted most of the neckline stitches two together to get a tighter neckline. It took me three times to knit the sweater band to get the sizing right, but it was better than tossing the sweater. I haven't sewn on the buttons yet, but I was hoping to use the eyelets as the buttonholes. I thought you might want to know how I solved the neckline problem.

Other than the fit, I liked the lace and cable pattern.
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  5:19:56 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far the replys are about tied, 50% for lace 52% for cables. I need to find some patterns that have both lace and cables then just jump in and learn both at the same time. I guess as long as I don't loose my cable needle in a yO, I'll be OK.

Karen

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  06:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old topic but as the question just occurred to me, I'll wake it up:

I love cables (and knots, and twist-stitch patterns - anything where stitches are crossed) and find them really easy. I see where the "ropes" need to go next.

Whereas I can't get myself to tackle the really complex lace patterns :(

I do love combination patterns, though, with a few YOs before or after the cable.

Bye, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  07:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I have to choose one over the other I would choose cables.

When I first learned to knit I was a child and one of my favorite things to make was a chunky two needle mitten with a cable down the front. The day I made the first cable was the day I moved myself into the "advanced knitter" category. Who was to say no? My second sweater ever was a fisherman aran.

Last night I finished knitting the back of another fisherman sweater......this time for my dog.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  08:27:29 AM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both!

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  08:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cables

but what about stranded knitting?

Steph

http://www.sunsetcat.com
StephCat on Ravelry!
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  09:34:13 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done cables several times, but not the complex ones, which I would like to try. Same with lace, I can handle feather and fan but that's about it. I would really like to learn to do complex lace, but find it quite difficult. Maybe I will need to take a class. So I guess I would have to vote for lace.

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  11:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephcat
but what about stranded knitting

I would vote for that also.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  12:30:39 PM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can be obsessive. I'll do lots and lots of cable, then lots and lots of lace. It depends a lot on what I want to knit. If I want a heavy outdoor type sweater, then cables (or colourwork), if an airy shawl (and to me if I think shawl, I think airy), then lace. Having said that, my favorite cold weather shawl (for temps 0-10 degree F) is my shadow shawl, no cable, no lace just colour. To me cables are too heavy for shawls but wonderful for sweaters. I don't do afghans. For both I like that you have to concentrate on what you are doing. I always have a "pay attention" and a "mindless" project going at the same time so I can rotate between the two depending on my attentions span at the time.
Go to Top of Page

auntlinda
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  2:00:12 PM  Show Profile Send auntlinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the majority - both - but there's nothing like the enjoyment of starting a new cabled project when you've been doing a lot of lace. There's just something so satisfying about cables!

~Linda
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  8:31:09 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the look of lace, but prefer to do cables. It might have something to do with the weight of the yarn used. I tried a laceweight yarn, and gave it away. Fingering/sock is as small as I comfortably knit.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  9:30:46 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have knitted a couple of lacy scarves, and once made a cable and lace sweater, but I prefer cables.

Leslie

My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  2:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really do like knitting both lace and cables but I think I prefer to knit patterns of knit/purl stitches such as those found on guernseys etc. Not that I do knit a lot of things like this. No, I have found that over the last few years the knitting that I actually DO carry out tends to be more of the mindless sort that you can do in front of the tv or while travelling in the car. I don't very often sit down and work on my knitting exclusively, which is when I would carry out the more complicated types of patterns.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  12:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of us have our preferences. It is not which technique but what do you want for yourself! That is how I determine my next big project. Currently I have a fair isle jacket on the needles. Before that I made a worsted weight lace vest. I always have some socks on needles for take along projects. My list of "want for me" projects is always growing.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  8:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Momma78239

Asking me whether I prefer lace or cables is like asking whether I prefer brownies or cheesecake.

I second that emotions! Both .....with a heavy lean toward lace.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  04:27:26 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend that you do what I am doing right now. I am knitting lots of little gifts for Christmas, Primarily mitts and earwarmers. I love doing them because I get to try out all types of cable and lace patterns on little projects and then have a gift for one of my family members. If you would like my basic patterns, just let me know.

An earwarmer is just a slightly wide headband which can be worn as a headband or pulled down over the ears when it is cold. My refining touch is to place short rows 2 inches, 3 inches and 4 inches from the center back. I place them about an inch apart and use as many as needed for the width of that particular warmer. I also knit the back 8 inches in ribbing and put the design just on the front. This gives me an earwarmer that is narrower and slightly curved in the back. The result--it doesn't ride up like most of them do and is less likely to pop off the head. I have a design area of about 3 inches by 12 to 16 inches to play with. I use regular ribbing and also use garter stitch as ribbing depending on which direction I knit it. I knit most of them or size 6 or 7 needles and worsted weight yarn, casting on 80 stitches. I just finished a lace one and am now working on a cabled one.

Hmmmmm....I think I just gave you my pattern.....Merry Christmas

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  05:27:35 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran, I think you just saved me! No way was I going to get all my knitting done before Christmas, especially since my list grew by 8 people over the weekend. Hats, cowls, and fingerless mitts just became ear warmers!

My head is spinning as to the possibilities! The yarns (already have tons of great choices) ... the stitch patterns ... circs / straights ... on and on ...

I have one question about the short rows: what is their function? I'm having a hard time picturing them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  06:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do slightly more cables than lace but I do them both and like them both. I have even done a sweater for my eldest in which there was both a bit of lace and quite a bit of cable work. So no real preference, and I also do like colour-work,it's actually one of the things that I like about knitting, so many possibilities!

Marjolein

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
www.ravelry.com/projects/marjotse
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  08:41:51 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the type of head where headbands and earwarmers just slide up and pop off so for years I never used them. Then I found out that if the top of the headband remains the same and the bottom dipped up in the back, the headband stayed where it was intended. I made a few that way and now even family members, who had no problem like I did, prefer the ones that dip up slightly in the back. The easiest way to shape this is to put a short row in about every inch of width. I also find it easier to mass produce these with ribbing in the back which makes one size fit teen and adult head sizes.

You can also cluster short rows over the ears so they will pull down further there, but that style has never been as popular with my family. By the way, the guys like them as well as the girls, just simpler designs.
fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  12:53:03 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fran,as always, gives very good advice about making small things to practice both cables and lacey things.

What I like to do? I love both lace and cables. I love the look of many cabled sweaters, so to me the extra bother they create when you are first getting accustomed to the pattern is worth it. I also love Lace with a mad passion. At some point I am going to make one of those table cloths like women used to knit for the County Fair. Gorgeous stuff! Currently I have a working Aran sweater and a stalled out very lacey Pi shawl (Gretchen) on the long circular needles.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by