Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 When planning a vacation...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  5:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do you plan what knitting you are taking, map out the yarn stores you will be passing and THEN sort out your vacation clothes? Or is it clothes first? For me -- it's the yarn!

Just look for me on the highway -- I'll be one in the passenger seat - knitting!

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com www.heritagerecipes.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com www.the-knittery.com
www.maryadrenedesigns.com

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  6:12:54 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going on two work trips in May/June and as soon as I found out where they were, I immediately looked up if there were any yarn stores in the area... priorities!!! Besides, if there *are* decent yarn stores, you need to leave enough space in your luggage for the stash enhancement!

Maria

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  7:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shops to visit and the reasons to go through those towns takes the longest to plan therefore it has to start long before the suitcase is located!

Wen

2006 stats: 6 FO, too many WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  7:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to go on a work trip at the end of this week and plan to stop by the yarn store there. I return to the same town next week and will try to check out the other one there that people have recommended. I've started taking a fold-up suitcase inside my regular suitcase...just in case!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  8:26:31 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate shopping so I don't plan doing it on holiday. If there was to be a LYS that had things I can't get near me, I might pop in, but I'm not one to go out of my way to shop for anything.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  8:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I will confess now that I'm retired, that I did plan my work trips around the quality of the yarn stores in the area. Since I was the boss, I could often pick and choice which trips to go on (nobody on my team was a knitter so I wasn't depriving them!)

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com www.heritagerecipes.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com www.the-knittery.com
www.maryadrenedesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  04:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually don't plan around yarn shops but I do plan what to take. My suitcase usually has more knitting projects than clothes. Which often means that I have to do laundry at least once while away!

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  04:23:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not only do I map out yarn stores in advance, and vary my route to get to them, I actually pack my knitting before my clothes; after all, if too few clothes get put in I can always do a little laundry but there may not be a "quick fix" if I run out of something to knit and the store(s) I passed through had little to beckon to me.

but I am alone so also have to do the driving. traveling with knitting has solved my problem of how to spend evenings in a motel en route though. and I find myself wanting to stop for the night much earlier than I used to do!
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  06:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my clan we have the concept of the "busy bag" - a separate tote or suitcase filled with handwork projects, or books, or cameras, or whatever else will help its owner pass the time on a long trip. Each of us packs our own, and mine usually gets packed and repacked ten or twelve times as I change my mind about what project(s) to take along, starting a week or so before departure day. Clothing generally gets packed in the last couple of hours before we leave.

If I know I'm likely to be doing major fiber purchases, I'll plan a time near the end of the stay to visit either a post office or a UPS store to send home the bulk of what I've bought. Some of the conferences I've attended (especially ones with well-stocked vendors' rooms) have had a UPS setup in the vendor area - works extremely well!

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  06:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't care so much about visiting yarn shops when I'm traveling as I do about making sure I have emoung interesting projects to keep me happy and busy during any free/travel time I might have. I've always been a little bit odd about that sort of thing - can't take just the book I'm reading, but must have a couple stand-bys just in case, for example.

Then again, this is no different from my every day life, as my knitting bag is always well stocked and goes with me everywhere.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  06:52:10 AM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since my knitting and vacation books are typically WAY more exciting than my wardrobe, I spent more time choosing them. We drove on all family trips as a kid, and I vividly remember the big treat of going to the bookstore and being allowed to choose books for trips - I wanted big, fat books that would last! This is how I got the Narnia books (in 2nd grade,) Call of the Wild (the next summer) and Gone with the Wind (in 6th grade.) Mom was no dummy - she knew a big, challenging, thick book would keep my mouth shut the whole trip. If only I knew how to knit then! Now, all big trips (and impending childbirth, strangely) inspire me to pick worthy books and special knitting projects to keep me busy.
We are driving to Wisconsin in August, and I'm already on a hunt for LYS's near the path or destination. Yarn bought on vacation doesn't fall into the "yarn" budget, after all, it's souvenirs!
Go to Top of Page

mudpie@thegraphiczone.net
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  07:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit mudpie@thegraphiczone.net's Homepage Send mudpie@thegraphiczone.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't had a real vacation in a long time, but we do grab one weekend each month to just get away and visit a town about 3 hours from home. We are much like Aunty Nin. Both Hubby and I pack our clothing together in one suitcase, and we each have another filled with things to keep us busy. His usually contains computer manuals and magazines (boring), while mine has several projects worth of yarn, patterns, needles, etc. I will spend a lot of time deciding what supplies and patterns to take and may change my mind several times. At the last moment I will throw some clothing into the joint suitcase. Actually, the last few weekends out of town I have carried the case on wheels, plus two other bags full of supplies. He loves to drive. I love that he loves to drive.

Knit someone a scarf and they'll have an accessory; teach someone to knit and they'll be in stitches for the rest of their life.
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My "Fun Bag" can rival my suitcase. I start obsessing about a week befor the trip.

I pack first, and then concentrate the last 2 days before the trip on projects, including backups. I check all accessories and needles, paper and pencils, etc.

Books are next- current read, plus 2 backups.

I then go over all bags to see which one will best hold everything-if in car; it can be 2 or 3!

DH doesn't even shake his head anymore when packing. He knows I'll give him the Hairy Eyeball if he does! KL
Go to Top of Page

yarnyamy
Gabber Extraordinaire

562 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  07:31:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnyamy's Homepage Send yarnyamy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Locating the yarn stores is my first priority-- are you kidding? My husband even finds and goes to yarn stores on HIS business trips, believe it or not, and buys me presents.

http://frottez.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  07:47:37 AM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm already strategizing about what projects and needles, etc., to bring with me for a two month trip this summer (Turkey, Greece and Italy). I'll be traveling a LOT, so it needs to be light, but I'll also probably have a fair amount of down time, train time, bus time, etc., so it needs to be challenging and lengthy -- just like whatever pleasure-reading books I pick.

To be fair, I'm also strategizing what clothes, shoes, etc. to bring -- but it is a TWO MONTH trip, so I need to plan ahead in case I need to acquire stuff. Like sunscreen. Or sandals. For instance...

I'm thinking....

Knitting:
Circular lace shawl out of laceweight or cobweb weight.
Extra ball of laceweight and pattern "just in case"
a pair of socks?
leper bandage cotton (though maybe I can get that in Italy...)
Some KSH "just because"

Last summer I brought too much, but I made the mistake of stopping at WEBS on the way to the airport. Not this time - NO huge cones of this and that and other stuff...

Books:
Cairo Trilogy of Naguib Mahfouz?
Jean Giono's "Angelo" series?
something endless by Thomas Hardy?

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/hands-on/knittedbandage.html
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  08:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan on what knitting I'm taking first. Usually have too much to do to go to yarn stores, but that's okay. Don't own too many clothes, so I pretty much know off the bat what I'll be wearing. So I take a lot of time planning the knitting. :)
Go to Top of Page

RatherBknitting
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  10:11:01 AM  Show Profile Send RatherBknitting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I spent 20 years in international sales and was fortunate enough to visit over 30 countries. I quit my job 5 years ago to spend more time with my kids, and now I live in a town without even one LYS.

My point is that I wasn't a knitter when I was travelling, but OH, wouldn't it have been nice to try to find yarn shops in all those countries!! So now reading this post, I'm thinking --- hmmmm -- I could at least build in a few YS trips on my next vacation. Husband and son would HATE it, but daughter would support the stops no question!!

Sara
Go to Top of Page

knittyref
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  1:28:41 PM  Show Profile Send knittyref a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to New Zealand in November for 16 days. You mean I need to take clothes? I was just planning on loading up for the return trip. (Oh, and maybe a spinning wheel too.)

Seriously, I take as much or more time planning on what I'm taking as knitting projects than I do what I'm going to wear. As a backpacker for many years, I'm really great with the layering which minimizes space in the pack for more important stuff.

I don't always look up yarn stores ahead of time, but as soon as I'm settled in, I always yank out the phone book to see what's in town. Whether I go or not is another story.

Di
www.knittyref.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  1:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always spend more time on what projects to take and shops to see then I do planning on what clothes to take. Last year, I went with my parents to Washington and Victoria/Vancouver Canada for 10 days. I had a list of yarn stores in several cities/towns that I could see. I did get one in Victoria and several in Yakima, WA. I was prepared to go to several others just in case.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  1:44:47 PM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely spend more time deciding what knitting projects to pack than clothes....and I'm already looking forward to visiting Morehouse when I'm in that area months from now.

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

clover
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  2:04:21 PM  Show Profile Send clover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't had great experiences with yarn stores in other communities. Maybe I'm difficult to please... oh and we don't have taxes where i live and that turns out to be a deal breaker for me, in many cases. i hate paying taxes! actually after traveling around a bit i appreciate my lys(s) even more.

i do, however, fret endlessly about what to take. doesn't seem to help bc i'm likely to grow tired of it anyway. that's when an emergency trip to walmart for cheap cotton comes in and i'm off making yet another dishcloth. groan. kinda like taking a good novel but ending up reading trashy magazines instead. i guess you can't always plan on how much attention you'll be able to pay to the thing you've brought along.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?