Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 No Blog required Sockalong Part II
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  10:28:26 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wendy, how awful, and fingers crossed here for you to be better soon. These two viruses that are making the rounds are truly nasty. The added kicker of asthma is not a help. It's a good thing that you had some nice knitting to cuddle up with. Grats on your great progress.

Socker, congrats to you, too, on getting the heal turned and now for the legs. Yay! I read your post at the toe up topic and the toe ups are back on the menu. Thanks!

funnyfarm, how is your sock going? The laundry can usually always wait. I've sometimes done hand washing to get another day's grace from it. hehe

I got no knitting done so far today, but I did trot out when the sun was out in the afternoon and pulled weeds away from the beloved dwarf day lilies and the ever faithful bloomers, the miniature tulips. I've promised myself a knit night, snuggled up in bed, of the flap on Jane's Hedgerow sock. Every little bit gets us to the finish line.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

funnyfarm
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  05:25:53 AM  Show Profile Send funnyfarm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, sounds like everyone is making great progress - I am about 1/3 done with the foot, I can see the toe coming! This thread has really helped me stay on top of my socks, thanks for the encouragement! I kind of want to slip my plain sock onto a circ and see how it fits, I am going to be sad if it won't fit me:( But I am sure it will fit someone. My toe up I have tried on already and it is sitting pretty - got to work on that one a bit. I am just a few repeats from the heel, I guess I am a little worried about trying my first toe up heel:) I imagine I will totally screw it up a couple of times, I might just stick a life line in to help me rip back with confidence:)

Wendy, I sure hope you are feeling better soon, there is some awful stuff around right now. Take good care of you.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  11:46:36 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
funnyfarm, you are rolling along there. Grats! Hope that your plain sock fits as well as you'd like it to.

Wendy, get well! Looking forward to a piccie of the embossed leaves on your feet. Gonna dash over to the declutter topic and see what's next....

I got exactly four rows done on the heel flap before I fell asleep at the needles. Going at it again this am.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  06:57:25 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
after a slow week's knitting the pattern part of the cuffs of my socks are done, just need to do the ribbing now.
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  09:04:55 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great, socker. It'll bet the ribbing goes fast. I still have to start my second sock. By posting, you are reminding me that yes, I have to do this. I'm almost done with a baby blanket for DSS (Dear Stepson) and wife. Then I'll cast on for my second sock.
Go to Top of Page

funnyfarm
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  10:52:15 AM  Show Profile Send funnyfarm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You all are smoking me - I have not even picked up my sock this week. Maybe this weekend will have more time in it!
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  11:42:38 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
funnyfarm, I'm very much with you in the knitting slowdown. I'm inching the way to the gusset on both socks because of being so busy in the rest of life. Hang in there, and best wishes for knitting joy this weekend.

Wendy, welcome back. And you have given me an idea. I'll cast on the second socks today in the afternoon. I have to sit a lot then and that's a perfect time to do this. Thanks! Thank heaven for a lot of little dpns.

Soccer, you have a pair of socks! Great going!

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

tink_r_bell
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  3:57:23 PM  Show Profile Send tink_r_bell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'mmmm Baaaccckkk!!!

A couple of wicked weeks at work, and the flu. Took a day trip last Saturday, and got a good start on DS1 socks. Then surprise, he showed up on the doorstep this Wednesday and he could try them on, although I think he was worried about 3 needles sticking out at all angles. LOL.

Those embossed leaves socks are beautiful. After 2 pm tomorrow, lots of knitting time through the weekend, except we lose an hour at 2:00 am Sunday, and I do so loathe springing forward.[:-P]

Steph ;-}

To err is human, just try not to over do it.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  2:00:52 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Back! Flu? Eww. Poor Steph! I hope you are back to full energy by now. Ah, so you've been able to have the sock giftee try on the socks. Wonderful timing! He was afraid of "porcupine foot"? It does look wicked doesn't it. Lol I once had my very tall DD try on a sock that way, and she got that look on her face, narrowed eyes.. etc. But I had to have her try on a sock! She's a long way from here!

I'm down to the heel turns on both the boot sock and the hedgerow. I've loved that hedgerow pattern so much.

And yes, losing that hour messes up life for a couple of weeks around here. We have a wee tiny doggie who has to be shifted gradually back and forth in his meds times at the changes. It just doesn't work to leave him at the time. It takes him (because he knows exactly when he's supposed to have it and begs for it) about two weeks to relearn the time.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  12:36:32 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steph, I hope you're feeling better.
Lella, animals are such creatures of habit (like we are) sometimes.

Since I finished the baby blanket, I cast on for my second Embossed Leaves sock, and did a bit of the ribbing.
Go to Top of Page

notmuch2say
Chatty Knitter

147 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  09:53:50 AM  Show Profile Send notmuch2say a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not said anything before now. Shy, I guess. I joined a few weeks ago and started a new pr. No special patterns. One pr is just about done, except for the toe on one foot. The other I am doing in the new NORO yarn. I did a lace to on the cuff and am half way done with the first foot.
Go to Top of Page

tink_r_bell
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  1:10:43 PM  Show Profile Send tink_r_bell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DS1 is way too tall - he wanted 10" cuff K1P1 ribbing. He got 9 inches. And I had to get a contrasting color yarn for heels and toes! The things we do for love.

I should make good progress as am taking a 3 day weekend (spring break for teachers, so I have had a quiet week), driving to Denver for an alpaca seminar. Hope to finish 1S and start 2S.

Then a pair for DH - he's shorter.

And then and then: I decided to do a pair of Jaywalkers for me. All Me[:00][:00]! Or I may do mine first.

WendyB, I am thinking the Embossed Leaves sock for me in a spring color and yarn - maybe bamboo?? What do you think?

Hi to funnyfarm and socker. (I just love our on screen names.)

lella, I am going to get yarn for Trekkers - any suggestions.

notmuch2say, welcome aboard. This is very a fun, friendly, warm place.

Steph ;-}

Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  1:22:22 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
notmuch2say, tell us how you like the new Noro yarn. I'm curious.

tink_r_bell, now that my brother has moved back to the States from a warmer climate, I feel like I can go ahead and make him some socks out of superwash wool this year and won't have to worry about them being too warm. He said earlier, before he knew he was moving, to "keep them thin" if I do make them. He is tall too, so I have to make those cuffs longer.
I've never worked with bamboo sock yarn, but I say, "Why not?" in answer to your question. I love the pattern.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  07:04:15 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished with my first toe-up socks. I tried this right after finishing a pair of cuff-down and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. But it was easy this time because, I think, I hadn't knit socks in awhile (and I found a great pattern on the net). Guess I had to get the cuff-down pattern out of my head before tackling toe-up. And I think the toe-up actually fit better. Add to that the fact that I could keep knitting the leg until I ran out of yarn and I think they're my favorite way to knit socks now. I'm ready to start another pair!

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

tink_r_bell
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  08:25:52 AM  Show Profile Send tink_r_bell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
azblueskies, which pattern for the toe up socks did you find on the 'net? I would like to try a pair, but am so comfortable with cuff down that am hesitant to try. Thanks in advance.

Steph ;-}

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  3:12:15 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steph, do you mean the yarn TrekkerXXL? I've bought from two places on the web, Little Knits and Carodan Yarns. Both great. Check for any sales either place. And yes, I knit very tall socks for DH for his boots but, he has a regular size in the foot. The TrekkerXXL goes that far. Even 11.5 inch legs one time. I'm working with a cotton/bamboo blend and like it. Trekking Pro Natura is a wool/bamboo blend. Some of it is on sale. I knit Trek on the same size needles as other sock yarns though it's a bit thinner. Good for you to knit a pair for yourself.

Wendy, DH wears his socks all year and it gets hot here in the Dry half of our seasons-we have two. And yes, little dogs share that with us, creatures of habit. He's all "moved forward" now and so am I, almost. lol Hope you get your two socks done. Embossed leaves are next for me. They will be mine in the paintbox colors of Regia.

notmuch2say, welcome, and I'm all ears about how you liked the Noro sock yarn, too.

Hi and welcome to you, azblue. Please do, tell us what net pattern you used to make your toe ups. Socker makes them, and she has been tempting us so much lately to give it a try. Heels were my issue but maybe they are not such a problem as I once thought.

funnyfarm, I know how you feel somewhat, though you are lots busier. Very little gets done in the way of knitting because of so much trying to get the house put back together. The next rest period is for knitting after I wash my hair. A hat would work but it's too warm now for a hat. Chugging along on two pair, slowly.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  6:15:06 PM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The blueberry waffle socks are done. Next up, with the toes already done, will be a mix and match pattern of cat's paw lace and ribbing, knit in a soft brown heather yarn.

Next second pair (I try to keep 2 pairs on the needles at once) on the needles will either be Campfire socks from

http://cidermoon.com/cm0120.html, done toe up

or, Jane's Hedgerow socks from

[http://cidermoon.com/cm0120.html/url]
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  04:17:45 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well......that's a major oops. I didn't know that puppy could get something that high........ Shall we try the persimmon yarn instead?
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  06:40:56 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
after working the toe of the first sock with the new yarn, wildfoote in dark carmel, I decided the openwork puppy paws pattern wasn't going to work. So, I just pulled Ann Budd's Seduction Socks from Interweave knits off the net. Looks like a fun pattern stitch.
http://www.interweaveknits.com/freepatterns/pdf/spr_07/Seduction_socks.pdf
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  07:16:23 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socker, I really like the socks you pick to make.
What happened with your sock? Your puppy ate it?

I have only about 3/4 of my second sock cuff done. I've been distracted by other things, but I carry it with me always.

UPDATE: I'm into the lacy leg, which is going quickly. I love this pattern (Embossed Leaves).

Wendy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.