Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 No Blog required Sockalong Part II
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  1:50:20 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a photo of the first of my Embossed Leaves socks from a couple of days ago. I did the heel, and I'm on the gusset now. They are fun to do.

How is everyone else doing? Lella? tink r bell? Socker (I like blueberry waffles)?

Socker, what does a lace clock look like?

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  11:59:07 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did a little knitting on two different socks, and a sf glove (but that doesn't count) today, and moved a lot of boxes of books around as they are being free cycled to different folks soon. All the birding mags went to a young mother who loves birds. Very cool! But I did get a little knitting done, yay! I've had to sneak a few Sunsets out of the pile because they were about things I still want to make in the garden. shhhh! don't tell on me?

tink_r_bell (steph) you are finishing your socks up really well - a little less than once a month you have new ones. I'll bet the recipients are thrilled with them. I've got my socks up at flickr and on the side bar of my blog.

Wendy I did see a little lace pattern rooster for a "clock" in a sock somewhere on a blog. Where it is I can't recall. Probably can find it in Google search. EVERYTHING seems to be in there! Your embossed leaves are beautiful and it doesn't hurt that they blue, either - a very pretty soft blue it is, too. The leaves really stand out beautifully.

Socker, You've inspired me to get out the book and play around with a pattern or two for the legs on a sock. It's time to spread the wings a little and explore new things in sock making. Toe up kind of scares me, oddly. It's that heel. I have a chubby foot, shortish toes and a high instep. The top downs fit me right away so I never got adventurous.

Everyone, have a nice day tomorrow and get in lots of knitting when you aren't working or organizing. sweet dreams

Lella

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  06:15:26 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lella: I do toe ups because of my foot shape also. wide toes, no heel, thick ankles. Not pretty.

maybe I'm missusing the tearm, but what I mean by a lace clock is a lace pattern going up the sides of the sock.
Go to Top of Page

funnyfarm
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  3:02:16 PM  Show Profile Send funnyfarm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I wanted to join in here - but I was feeling kind of bad since, although I have two pair of socks OTN, I have not made ANY progress in at least two months. But today I took my bag with my two little sad socks to my doc appt and had to wait 3hours - great knitting time! On my vanilla sock I got from the ribbing (already done) down to the heel. Since I don't have enough experience to do a heel on the fly I switched over to my other which is my first toe up and first patterned sock and got a few repeats done there too. I feel much better now!! Maybe you all can help me keep motivated, the second sock is sure to be trouble:)
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  10:50:38 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great, funnyfarm! I made some progress too. I'm almost to the toe.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  12:59:30 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there funnyfarm, just join right in. It took me about 3 months to finish one pair of socks, the first. I had a bit of second sock syndrome, you see. It's good that you are working two socks at the same time. No SSS for you!

Socker, I've heard that toe up had a narrower sort of heel, so I thought that I'd leave it for later until I could figure out how to increase for the heel by keeping stitches that I needed in it on the back, while still having enough for the my high instep on the front. That's just too much math for this gal, so I just stayed with leg downs.

Wendy what a clever way to put a picture in. Love your sock. *note to self-make embossed leaves next*

I am working on the socks and gloves today to get them to the jumping off points.. the heel turns, and the base of the fingers. And clean and toss in the studio still. I have two small kilns on stands and must let go of one. *sigh* it's hard.

Lella

Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  2:29:25 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lella, that's great that you're a potter. Why are you getting rid of a kiln if you like it and want to use it?

And do try those embossed leaves socks sometime - they are fun to do.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  5:18:35 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wendy I pour rather than throw on a wheel (back got bad), and then these forms are manipulated with tools, coated with engobes and then later with glazes. But the kilns are the small ones that are in the house. They are for glass and enamels. Doll bodies, small stuff. I don't really need both the small ones now. Unless..... hehe *thinking about it again*

I will definitely make blueberry waffles and embossed leaves the next two pairs. Socks are such a joy to knit. They make me feel like dancing, dancing....

Lella

Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  04:58:42 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lella, I think it's short row heels just don't have as much material as the heel flap heels, whether you make them toe up or top down.

Went on a road trip yesterday -- 4 hours in the car, finished the foot of 1 sock up to the heel turn, second sock is about an inch past the toes.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  12:34:18 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socker, Congrats on getting so much done on your socks on the road trip. Very nice.

You've joggled my memory about that heel difference in the toe ups. I guess I can stick to top downs for now, until someone comes along with a narrow heeled little foot. Then I will know that toE up is better for that. thanks Barbie has a narrow heel, too, yes? I can practice on socks for her. Just kidding. Make me blind those tiny needles.

I have put the mixed Salad of small projects aside, temporarily-read five days- to catch up on an Aran sweater a little. You know, before anything with wings decides to spawn in the yarn. This sweater has been dragging on a couple of years due to entrenched "project avoidance".

Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  08:36:56 AM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lella, you don't have to do short row heels when doing toe ups. husbeast wore a pair of toe ups to work today with standard heel flaps.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  12:06:05 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.. then I get to try the technique sooner rather than later. I think it's Monkey that is a toe up. Now all I have to do is learn that tricky toe cast on. Thanks, Socker!

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2361 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  12:31:59 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first toe up socks (well, to be honest I tried them before and gave up...don't know what it is about this but I just can't seem to get the heel part of this type of construction) - doing them on a circular one at a time just in case I give up.

I actually got past the heel this time, tried them on and had a huge hole where I had somehow managed to drop not one, not two, but three stitches and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to fix it so I ripped back to just before the heel. Dammit, I AM going to make it this time.......

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  5:55:05 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Luck there Azblueskies! Three's the charm! [:00]

I think maybe I'll just stick to top downs. lol!

Go to Top of Page

funnyfarm
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  05:27:50 AM  Show Profile Send funnyfarm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, with two socks at the same time one would think there would be no second sock syndrome, however they happen to be two different socks - I got bored with the first toe-up with a little lace so started another simple top-down that I know I can do right with larger yarn and needles. But I kind of got out of knitting them for a while so now it is back on. I am actually thinking about going ahead and casting on the second of both socks once I get ready for the heels on each (already there for the DK sock - maybe another 6-8 repeats for the toe-up) - it would help me with my toe-up so I might actually remember how I did the first toe, which was wrong to start but I finally figured it out about the time I finished in increases. I just need 1-2 hours to sit with them - hard to come by lately.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  07:00:07 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
funnyfarm, I am finding the same thing here. So much to do and very little time to devote to knitting. I'm sure it will pick back up again. Meanwhile, I'm keeping the socks up with the Aran and The Pi shawl and letting the gloves slide a bit. I get about an hour a day to knit now.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

funnyfarm
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  11:48:30 AM  Show Profile Send funnyfarm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the heel turned on my plain sock last night:) But I pooped out before I could pick up the gusset, at least I realized I was too tired to do it before I tried too hard and messed it up. Going to try to get the gusset picked up tonight - or maybe this afternoon while the light is good - laundry can wait.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  9:56:41 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
funnyfarm, grats on getting up to the gusset (cussit?) and that was wise to wait until you weren't tired to pick it up.

Wendy I hope you didn't go down for the count. That is a nasty cold and a nasty big flu going around at this time. {{Hugs}} to you.

I'm going to finish more on the sock since I need some mindless knitting. Got the pattern set up for the Aran after having to frog back on it a whole 328 stitches. [:00] It would have been SOOOO much better to have waited until morning.

Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  8:23:38 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the hugs, Lella! I have been feeling rather lousy lately, with the flu and bronchitis. I have asthma, and my lungs have been hurting a lot, and I've been feeling out of it. Some chills, a lot of stuffiness and nose-blowing.

But I finished my first Embossed Leaves sock today! That makes me feel good. My right foot is presently wearing it, and the left foot is getting jealous.

How is everyone else doing?

Wendy

Go to Top of Page

socker
Chatty Knitter

258 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  3:32:40 PM  Show Profile Send socker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After several days of only a few minutes to knit, I managed to get the heel turned on my second blueberry waffle sock. Going up the cuff on both of them now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?