Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 No Blog required Sockalong Part II
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  12:49:22 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Barbara, this thing goes on and on and so you just jump right in and float along with us. What a nice thing to do for your friend. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your socks.

The trekkers are taking a long time because of all the interruptions of FATE, and also because the legs are 12 inches tall! I will get both of them out of one 100 gr ball, and that's a big relief. No black toes to deal with. One us done to the toes and the other moving right along.

Wendy, a friend is taking a class in knitting two socks on two circ ( from that book, actually) this weekend. I'm hoping she can tell me that she likes it. Maybe I will give it a try, too, though I love the DPNs.

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

My Blog
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  12:10:35 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wendy, et. al. The trekkerXXL boot socks are done and up on my blog. At Last!

How have you all been doing in this heat wave?

Come See My Blog
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  4:47:39 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooo! Woo! Very pretty socks, Lella! I just came back from a driving trip to Nebraska. The worst it got there was 106 degrees, and then it got better soon, fortunately. I worked on a Lotus Blossom tank (all done but the finishing), my alpaca vest (only done in air conditioning), and a new pair of socks in Ruby Slippers Socks That Rock yarn. I didn't have my Periwinkle STR yarn with me, so I couldn't continue with the Bavarian Twisted Stitch socks. I bought a pair of US #1 circs while on my travels to get the right gauge, and I'm using the Cat Bordhi Columbine Peak pattern for the red yarn. See someone else's finished Columbine Peak socks on this page. So now I have two sock WIPs.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  6:02:33 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Wendy, and thanks. I'm glad to be DONE with them finally. I said I'd sworn off socks but I really want to make a few shorties now. That aran sweater will drive me crazy so I need little socks for sanity. The RPM socks caught my eye on the page you posted. I must make them and hopefully in that colorway, too. The Columbine peak socks are beauties, too.

Weather.. wow.. 106 is hot enough. No wonder the alpaca was done only in the AC. We had a week of +110, and that's no kind of weather for this place. I just stood in the shower til I was soaking wet then stood in from of the floor fan. [:00]

Come See My Blog
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  9:06:38 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think sock-making is getting easier for me. I am enjoying it more and more. The Columbine Peak socks (in STR yarn, size 1 needles) are looking good. I'm doing the gusset on the first one right now. DH said I have to frog this one because it didn't turn out right. It has holes in it (lace). Ha ha. I like this pattern. The red and purplish stripes in the yarn make it look like a landscape.

I have more Trekking and STR and other sock yarn waiting their turn.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  11:54:31 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Wendy, that is funny. [:00], "...this one (the lacy sock) has holes in it". Cheers to your DH.

About socks. I had decided to put the knitting of more of them aside to finish the market bag and the Aran Isle sweater but I'm already missing my sock needles! I will start a pair of shorty socks because I'm digging out my cotton sock yarns for a trip. What a great excuse, eh?

The STR yarns are so luscious. I'll be getting some of them.

Blabbity Blog
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  4:16:34 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How are everybody's socks doing? I have one of the Columbine Peak socks (here and here) done, but the second one seems to be like a Twilight Zone episode, like when a man keeps repeating a trip on a train and ends up in the same place, or like Sisyphus condemned to push a big rock up a hill only to have it roll back down again. I seem to be stuck in a loop. I somehow ended with one stitch too few two days ago, and I have since tinked and frogged and lost my place. I'm hoping to get back on track soon.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  12:51:38 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Wendy, I'm missing my sock needles being busy so after I get a shawl on the needles(right after!)I'm going to put a couple of pair of shortie socks on the DPNs. I'm just going to knit a short leg on my favorite pattern from Illustrations booklet. Mindless sock knitting, well, almost. I'll be using Elann Sock It Too Me yarn for both pairs of socks.

OT: I'm not knitting as much atm, trying to get some fleece cut out and sewn into coats for my DDs before the end of September and some postcards made for an exchange. After Oct.1 time gets very short.

I love the way you linked your pictures. I'll try to do that next time. Beauty and the Beast in one pair? Those are such lovely socks, and I'm sure you will whip that beast into shape in no time.

Blabbity Blog
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  07:46:41 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I am knitting (carefully) again after hand numbness and one morning of really bad pain), I've been looking at my Socks That Rock medium weight yarn - or what's left of it. Does anyone know if one skein of Socks That Rock medium weight yarn (380 yards) will be enough for my two socks? I thought it would be, yet it looks like the ball has really shrunk, and I don't have any more.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  07:15:51 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's going to be close, Wendy. Two balls of Lorna's shepherd's sport is 400 yards. It knits 6 stitches to the inch on size 4s they say.

If you have one sock completed, can you weigh it? Then you can weigh the rest and see if it's the same, partial sock and ball. A simple balance weight should work, just put in as many needles on both sides.

http://www.alysion.org/rocks/scale.html

or this

http://tinyurl.com/jr8rm

btw, 5 US quarters weigh an ounce

Sorry to hear about your hand numbness and pain. ouchie! I'm glad to hear you are in recovery mode. There is nothing worse for a knitter than to be having pains in the hands. Gah! [crazy]

Blabbity Blog
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  07:59:34 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that's an idea, Lella. I don't have one yet, but I have been thinking about getting a scale to help me figure out how much yarn I have left in odds and end yarn balls, athough using a yarn meter really helps. I am taking solace in the fact that I will be at the Rhinebeck festival next month, where I got the original yarn. Hopefully they will have more of the same, and hopefully it will match. It's good that it's variegated and the new skein will be used for the toe area. I was surprised that the yarn left seems to be not enough, because I always ask the seller how many skeins are needed for two socks. Maybe I misheard them.

Both scales are interesting. I like making things! I have the tools to make them, but I'll have to go hunt down some BB's and Dixie Cups (and save some yogurt containers). I'm printing out the instructions.

...and my hand feels a lot better...
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:20:02 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wendy, good luck in getting another ball of yarn to match, and have fun at Rhinebeck. A lot depends on how long the legs of the socks are; some like them fairly short and maybe that's why some yarn skeins do a whole pair of socks for them. I like a leg about 8 inches to the ankle bone, which makes less yarn for the foot though.

I like making things too, though I do have a grams scale I picked up at an auction one year for weighing grams in rocks. Some rock roughs are actually worth weighing. [:00]

OT...About making do, and making useful things from cast offs, DH and I were watching a movie, The Blue Butterfly, that had some modernized Amazonian Indians as actors, sort of a true documentary. Anyway, in it two of the Native cast members were playing checkers on a handmade board, with water bottle caps from two brands of water that had been brought in by the French and American crews. It was so charming a scene that DH and I never forgot it.

Blabbity Blog
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  01:22:18 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm starting a pair of bed socks for a friend. This is the first pair for a friend and I'm excited about that.

Wendy, DH wore his trekker tall hiking socks a whole day yesterday. He said that they are just perfect and he loved the way they felt on is feet. He now wants the other color. I'm feeling great about this. I'm starting two shorty socks and new trekkers after the bed socks. This will be a sock filled winter. Wonderful!

How goes your socking? Anyone else making them and want to brag here? This is our brag spot. [:00]

Blabbity Blog
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  09:00:42 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't brag much these days about socks. I felt it was my duty to pick up my GAA afghan again and forge ahead on that. I have yet to find a picture on someone's blog that shows me that they actually finished that, and I'm (currently) determined to finish it myself.

I'm glad your DH likes your socks so much! He wants another color now? That's great. What was the pattern you used for the hiking socks? Mine shows off his Trekking socks every chance he gets.

I can't wear socks to bed because my feet get too hot, but that's a nice present for your friend.

I went to Rhinebeck and stood in the long "The Fold" line for my $22 plus tax Socks That Rock Ruby Slippers yarn to finish my last sock. Well, I guess I can make a hat or some wrist-warmers with the rest. I didn't even get around to trying to finish the sock after I posted about it last. Something about what a perfectionist goon I am. I was debating, before Rhinebeck, because I have an extra row knit in the lace section of the instep, do I frog or leave it? I did that so much that I just didn't go any further, and went on to other things. I gotta get back to finishing that sock!

Wendy
Life is real, life is earnest. If you're cold, turn up the furnace. - Herman Munster.
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  10:59:56 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Wendy - Just jumping in here. I have a photo in my gallery of the Great American Aran afghan. You may have to go through a few pages - I can't remember exactly where it's posted!

I've sort of returned to socks. Have learned to knit 2 using Magic Loop, which really eliminates that second sock syndrome. I've done a couple of Pomatomus and something from Nancy Bush's new book (just a simple rib pattern). I love, love, love some of the Bavarian twist designs I've seen here, and I think that will be next. There's a pretty pattern in the new Knitters too.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  11:46:18 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops, Dicksie, I meant to say the GA (Great American Afghan), which nobody seems to have finished. I show my snails-pace progress on my profile. OH, that GAA is gorgeous! I just love all of your stuff, Dicksie.

My first Bavarian Twist sock (on the needles) hasn't been looked at by me lately, either - it's waiting its turn. I'll have to check out the Knitter's mag pattern. Nancy Bush has a new book out (besides Knitting Vintage Socks)?

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  11:36:45 PM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful things Dicksie, now I want to do the GA Aran A...its been on my list for a long time, forgot how much fun it appears.
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  10:51:58 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wendy and KC. GAAA was fun, but if I were to do it again I'd find a great Aran weight wool rather than the Encore - it's pretty flimsy and even worse after washing and blocking. The Nancy Bush sock book I referenced is Vintage Socks - it's new to me! Which Bavarian Twist pattern are you knitting?
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  12:51:30 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Which Bavarian Twist pattern are you knitting?
Dicksie
It's the Bavarian Twisted Stitch pattern in Cat Bordhi's book, Socks That Soar on Two Circular Needles. I guess I could call mine the "Socks that Rock and Soar," because they're being made with Periwinkle-colored STR yarn.

Look at the ones at Eunny Knits. Aren't they beautiful?

Wendy
Life is real, life is earnest. If you're cold, turn up the furnace. - Herman Munster.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  7:44:23 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dicksie and KC. Now I will have to go look at the GAAA. I surely don't need anymore afghans though. *tries to restrain her brain*.

Dicksie, two socks at a time is my favorite way, too, though I use DPNs. It's very nice to have both socks up to a certain place in tandem so that I don't forget something about row counts. Me? Write something down? That would be just another bit of paper to try to find. OK, I'm going to go peek at all your knitting now, too.

Wendy, you should go get the sock and frog it; you know you want to. Now that you've got the new skein of yarn half the worry is over. Good for you to queue up in such a long line for it.

I'm going to spend time casting on all three pairs of socks tomorrow, and then some fingerless gloves my DD wants. I've got UFOs but the socks can fill in the spaces of time when I can't stand to look at the Aran Sweater monster nor the big, red bag thang.

BTW that sock at Eunny's site is unbelievably beautiful. She is so talented and also, generous with her patterns.

Lella
[img]http://www.geocities.com/zippianna/carrot.gif[/img]

Blabbity Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth