Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 250 to 500 Yards
 270 yards Euroflax linen yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KristiMetz
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  09:08:59 AM  Show Profile Send KristiMetz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought some linen yarn (Euroflax Originals by Louet) to make the pattern for Cat Bordhi's eye pillow (free pattern on the Interweave site).

I have pretty much given up on the project since I have worked and worked and can't even get the cast on. My LYS will only help if you bought the materials there (which I didn't).

So.... I'm looking for something else to do with this yarn! It's a sport weight linen, machine washable.

I would really like to make some sort of a gift for my SIL who was recently diagnosed with a degenerative disease (I'm sorry, it escapes me what it's called... you know, it's a degenerative disease and affect your ability to use your muscles, I think... can take a short time or many years to have a big impact. I'm going to remember as soon as I post this!).

Anyhow, I would love to make her a gift, but since this linen is sport weight, I'm having a hard time thinking of something (most patterns I've found, for instance for washcloth/bath mitt, call for worsted weight cotton).

I would love any suggestions!!!

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  09:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no rule on how large or small a washcloth has to be. Just knit a pretty stitch pattern in a roughly square shape and there's a washcloth. Check one of those "Pattern a Day" calendars or something similar, pick out something you like, and have at it!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  09:41:17 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RosebyAny said exactly what I was going to... I'll just add that the lace linen washcloths I've made shrank like crazy in length when I washed and dried them, so I'd consider adding one more pattern repeat than it looks like you'll need to get a square.
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  10:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Euroflax makes wonderful washcloths, I've made several and they get a lot of use and have held up very well, unlike the cotton ones that turned into rags fast. You can probably get two out of 270 yards, depending on the stitch you choose.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4014 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  1:43:47 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could add a nice soap too.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

rootswoman
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  9:48:19 PM  Show Profile Send rootswoman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.ilgaleja.com/free_pattern.html

try this capelet - it calls for EXACTLY 2 skeins of this yarn!

quote:
Originally posted by KristiMetz

I bought some linen yarn (Euroflax Originals by Louet) to make the pattern for Cat Bordhi's eye pillow (free pattern on the Interweave site).

I have pretty much given up on the project since I have worked and worked and can't even get the cast on. My LYS will only help if you bought the materials there (which I didn't).

So.... I'm looking for something else to do with this yarn! It's a sport weight linen, machine washable.

I would really like to make some sort of a gift for my SIL who was recently diagnosed with a degenerative disease (I'm sorry, it escapes me what it's called... you know, it's a degenerative disease and affect your ability to use your muscles, I think... can take a short time or many years to have a big impact. I'm going to remember as soon as I post this!).

Anyhow, I would love to make her a gift, but since this linen is sport weight, I'm having a hard time thinking of something (most patterns I've found, for instance for washcloth/bath mitt, call for worsted weight cotton).

I would love any suggestions!!!

Go to Top of Page

SB
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  3:38:12 PM  Show Profile Send SB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice caplet pattern!

Siobhan

http://www.oneknittwoknitredknitblueknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  5:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
270 yds of Euroflax linen will make 3 medium or 2 large face cloths. I personally love these cloths and get 3 per skein.

There is a pattern in an Interweave Knits mag (last spring I think, but am currently away from my bookshelf) for a shawlette -- the Clementine -- which I think only takes 250-270 yds; it is knit from the points up and grafted in the middle of the back.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

llknits
Chatty Knitter

201 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  5:50:19 PM  Show Profile Send llknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newbie question ...how do I know how many to cast on/pattern to use so I get 3 medium cloths?
I don't want to waste any of this yarn. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  06:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually use Sz 3 needles and get about 5.5 st per inch. taking the stitches needed for my pattern repeat into consideration as well as a border of about 6 st on each side in either garter or seed, I cast on somewhere in the range of 40-50 stitches.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

outlawknitter
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  1:30:49 PM  Show Profile Send outlawknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgive me if this is a repeat - I'm new to this..
Lion Brand on line has a free pattern for an Aromatic Eye Pillow that uses Microspun which would be similar to the linen you have. It takes 1 ball 168 yds on size 6 needlesUS. It will be much easier than Cat's pattern. I am trying to get a copy of Cat's pattern so if you want I can swap you patterns. It is not available any longer for free.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe