Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Ok can we talk about DRUM carders, hand cards, and
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  12:56:16 PM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by azblueskies

Val, someone told me to make a "sandwich" if I want to blend fibers......a layer of wool, then whatever I'm blending with it, then another layer of wool. I have some wool that I wanted to blend with some nylon (the wool is prepared - not locks). Is this something I can do with the drumcarder?

You feed in the wool, then the nylon, then the wool. The sandwich/batt will form om the big drum. Then you tear up the batt lengthways and feed it in again. Repeat till blended fully.

Val.

http://spinningfishwife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  6:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, so what are the implications of the fact that this drum carder has coarse carding cloth. Well, I know that it means it will be better for some fibers rather than others, but which fibers?

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  6:19:50 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, who'd a thunk! Just repeated it to my husband and he said, "Well that makes sense." I just pictured a sandwich and was going to feed the whole thing in. Thanks, Val. I'll be experimenting soon.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  04:15:00 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RobA

OK, so what are the implications of the fact that this drum carder has coarse carding cloth. Well, I know that it means it will be better for some fibers rather than others, but which fibers?

How coarse is it in pins per square inch? (PSI) I`ve got hand carders in two grades...48 psi which are for ordinary wools and mohair, and 96 psi for fine wools like merino and all the exotic fibres like alpaca and silk etc etc. You can get even finer hand cards for cotton and such.(I forget what my Louet drum carder has in psi, but Louet drum carders are made differently anyway with double height teeth which is supposed to help with carding fine fibres.)

Though psi isn`t just the only thing that affects carding. The other critical things are (1) the speed at which you turn the handle and (2) the amount of fibre you feed in at a time. Even so called fine cloth carders can ruin fibres if you get impatient and try to work too fast, while slow, patient carding on a coarser drum can give better results.

What you want to avoid is the card snagging the fibres in such a way that they stretch them out with the action of the drum. Stretched fibres break, ping back on themselves and you get noils and broken short fibres. Slow carding gives the fibres time to slip past each other on the feed-in, much like drafting. Well teased fibre in small quantities feeds in easier than a big compacted wad, just like in spinning.

Val.

Go to Top of Page

Davy
Warming Up

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  04:17:59 AM  Show Profile Send Davy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Val, have you tried the brush on your Dcarder yet?

Davy.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  05:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to add a bit to the idea of a "sandwich". There are some fibers that are just not fun or easy to card, such as the very fine short fibers like angora, and silk top or roving. When a reference is made to sandwiching these fibers to blend, it usually does mean that you sandwich the specialty fiber between VERY THIN layers of wool before running through the carder. This prevents the fine fibers just stitcking to the lickerin rather than going through onto the drum.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

quirky
Chatty Knitter

329 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  06:55:01 AM  Show Profile Send quirky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this thread. Its like having a magazine article to read that constantly updates with more detail. :D
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  1:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Val, the psi is 36.

Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  1:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Val, the psi is 36. Could I use that for Cormo or Finn? Can those be run through a drum carder or should they be combed?

Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  4:09:40 PM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
came accross this...about d carders.

http://www.peak.org/~spark//fiberpreparation.html#MAKING

Pugknits
The Fiber Denn
Etsy - The Fiber Denn

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  4:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But actually for some fibers like very short ones, cashmere silk and angora, when you blend, you really will get better results when you:

Card the wool first and pull the bat off
Pull the bat apart into sections and sandwich the other fibers between two sections of wool...then feed that sandwich into the carder....it prevents flyaways and allows the finer fiber to get on the drum more evenly.

I would then run it through at least one more time after that.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  12:09:23 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RobA

Val, the psi is 36. Could I use that for Cormo or Finn? Can those be run through a drum carder or should they be combed?

Sorry, RobA, didn`t see this first time around.

I`m not familiar with Cormo and Finn, sorry. We use a different range of breeds here over in the UK and these would be unusual here. I`ve seen Finn, but never Cormo....well, I suppose there might have been Cormo in some of the processed blends I`ve used but I haven`t known.

I think you need to start by looking at micron count of your fibres, then a good online reference or book to judge how various fibres compare. There will be other factors that will have to be taken into consideration as well like crimp and staple length. Then of course there will be your carding technique to take into consideration...some folk just have a lighter touch than others!

My suggestion is to practice on any spare scrap fibres you may have lying around just to get used to the carder. Try a handful of angora or silk as well. Make a note of what works and what doesn`t before you buy a whole heap of one fibre. Your carder will have its own preferences. You need to experiment.

Val.

Go to Top of Page

The Purloined Letter
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  1:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Purloined Letter's Homepage Send The Purloined Letter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely interested in getting a used drum carder after playing with one last night. It was so much easier to blend colors and fibers!
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  3:34:28 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got a drumcarder, here I know Mr. Fricke from my local guild and never got to try one of his drumcarders until I bought it from Strauch last month and had it shipped all the way from Virginia where it is made now-days! It is the Petite with brush, but I don't call it small at all the batts are 7"x22". I've tried several of my different fleeces and fibers on it and all came out well with one pass. I DO tease well and feed in small amounts at a time. It was a kit at $375 on ebay including the doffer tool and brush and the dabbing brush and clamp. I do love it and was pleased with my choice, wish I'd bought one from Fricke years ago, I've been piddling around with student grade handcards from Ashford that made mass noils for me for several years until I finally got fed up and went to this finecloth drumcarder. Even though it was a lot of money I decided to spring for it as a longterm investment in my spinning and knitting, which have proved to be continual for years (knitting for over 50 years and spinning for only about 3, but all the time!)

Andy-wommon
http://shuvani11.livejournal.com/
Go to Top of Page

Davy
Warming Up

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  10:28:47 PM  Show Profile Send Davy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy, I just got a drumcarder also, The Strauch 405 Finest. It arrived yesterday I ordered it from Copper Moose in the US. Great service, a total of 2wks from ordering to receiving the goods, brilliant.

Davy
Go to Top of Page

theShizzKnit
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  7:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit theShizzKnit's Homepage Send theShizzKnit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard or or tried the Mark V drum carder? I have been thinking of a Patrick Green Beverly and can't decided between the Mark V, Beverly or Deb's Delicate Deluxe.
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  9:51:34 PM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to pop this topic back up. Im getting ready to look for a drum carder and have been reading all your info here. What were the results of some of the carders you bought, were they what you expected and has opinions changed? I want to blend colored fibers and fiber types. I have silk, angora, alpaca, wool and want to be ready for some I dont have. It seems pretty complicated to choose. The electrics over hand cranks are there advantages or disadvantages to either cept the cost? I have fleeces here and also will be buying some prepared fibers for blending.
Any raves?
Go to Top of Page

Davy
Warming Up

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  10:48:26 PM  Show Profile Send Davy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi KC, I have the Strauch Finest 405 for a wee while now and am very happy so far with results. As this is the only drumcarder I have used, how it stacks up against other makes I don't know.
The machine is heavy and extremely well built.
I use it mainly for fine prepared fibre, Merino 16 micron mixed with Angora rabbit at the moment. I have put Alpaca and Angora bunny + Tencel through it, does it very nicely also. Silk is something for some reason I have never tried. I have used Soya silk though, no problems, handles it well in the mix.It also handles Corridale well.
The Lickerin drum works as advertised, little or no cleaning, and the brush attachment really works well.
So overall I am very pleased with it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. However, if possible try before you buy, you may find something better suited to your needs. Good luck with your search KC

Davy.

Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  11:33:00 AM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Davy, yes I read your search into what to get, glad your happy with your choice! I found a place in Asheville that carries some drums, being i have never even used one or saw one in action. I hope they will let me see it work. Reading reviews and info Val sent me, it sure has good a rep. Thanks Davy, that is sure one that tops my list atm.
Go to Top of Page

WarmFuzzy
Warming Up

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  3:09:20 PM  Show Profile Send WarmFuzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KC,
Having a place to see a drum carder is good, because buying sight unseen can be a real surprise. I'm sure your shop will be more than happy to give you a demo, they want to sell them.
I have a Strauch Finest, a great machine that demands a lot of respect. This is not something to be left out where children can play with it, there are very sharp teeth on the small drum and moving parts. They are very large in size, other than the petite models, and take space in height, length and width. They are heavy and not exactly portable.
I love hand cards and rolags, but they use too much repetitive motion for my wrists, so I use them at retreats, classes, etc only. If you have shoulder problems or have a lot of wool to process I would look into an electric model, again, cranking the drum carder is a lot of repetitive motion.
So assess your needs and get that demo. I saw them at two wool festivals this past spring and summer before I made my mind up. I would not order sight unseen, I really was surprised by their size the first time I saw one.
~Rhonda

Blog: HatboxRose
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by