Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Supported Spindle!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

loomy
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  11:16:28 AM  Show Profile Send loomy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by azblueskies

What type of fiber is best spun on a Spindolyn? And how much yarn will it hold before you have to wind off?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! I spin just about anything on a Spindolyn - right now I have alpaca on one, some Romney that's a bit felted on another, and milk fiber on the third.

I was able to easily get 2 ounces on the Tenor Spindolyn (it has a shorter shaft than the older models). It looked full, but I think one could get more on there than that - maybe not a full 3 ounces, but I'd have to test it (and I'm not very good at winding the cop).

I've been spinning more on my Spindolyns than I have on my wheels, and am considering getting another extra spindle or two.

How do you like your Royal Hare?
Go to Top of Page

PaperChikPunk
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  04:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit PaperChikPunk's Homepage Send PaperChikPunk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, All,

I am new to the Knitter's Review Forums, and one of the reasons I joined is because of this specific forum. I am both a wheel and a drop spindler with medium skill on both. The fiber that I spin is exclusively lace weight, and the only animal derived fiber that I use is tussah silk (none of the others suit my specific purposes).

Although you would probably not need to call the psych people to report me for hoarding, I do have a repertoire of spindles, both drop and supported: I have both an apple and a pear, plus two coin tahklis (with bowl), and a Navajo, all of which are supported. The first four I use for mostly short stapled fibers, but when I am impatient with my silk, I run it through one of the coins. I spins SOOOO much faster and I can get pretty fine.

For the drop spindles, all of mine are top, although I have no bias; it has just turned out that way. I have one super light weight Bosworth, one medium super light weight anonymous, two Ashfords which look like they should be cumbersome and heavy but spin like a dream; they are medium weight, around 1.5 oz., and one medium anonymous, a little lighter than the Ashfords.

I have two Bosworth charkas for doing volume cotton spinning. Needless to say, these are unparalled.

And finally, I have a two-year old Babe's Fiber Garden double treadle starter spinning wheel which you may pry from my cold dead hands.

So I guess that I don't like to spin, and I really don't have some pathological illness about spindles, either. I do need a couple of bottom whorl spindles, though, to even out the collection, and I went out to check the Spindolyn and am very interested in loomy's observation. Guess I'd better put it on the shopping list.

By the way, I am a professional handmade papermaker in real life. There is a ton of cross over between fiber arts and handmade paper. If you are interested, you can check out my still evolving websites:

www.jessiesfibrenomicon.com
www.jessiesfibrenomicon.com/jessiesblog

The website (wwww) has a link to my FaceBook biz page. You do not have to be a FB member to access it, nor will I ever know whether you have or not. I am in the process of migrating all of the stuff stashed at the FB site to the WordPress blog and the website but in the meantime...

Thank you for all of the great information you share here. It is a total inspiration, and I hope that I may come up with some valuable tidbits to share in return.

Gwynne C. Mason
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2010 :  1:25:21 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! I liked this thread! Thanks for resurrecting it so I could go through it again. Fun. And welcome, too.
Go to Top of Page

lovethelake
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  05:30:43 AM  Show Profile Send lovethelake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salutations

My friends love to use the drop spindle. I prefer my wheel, but want to learn it for those upcoming snowbound days. They spin mostly fine wool and alpaca. We found that cotton is very hard to spin so gave up on that fiber. My friend is addicted to her supported spindle (whorl on the bottom and it spins in a small cup). That is the one I am going to focus on, since I do not have to raise my arms above my head. I fell last December and nearly broke my back, so I am still tender with my shoulders.

If you have a specific question, let me know I will ask my guru friends.

Be well, happy, safe and peaceful.

Lovethelake
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by