Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Found Holz and Stein needles!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:05:23 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a German site that sells Holz and Stein ebony and rosewood dpns and circs! The site is all in German, but Suzanne reads English so I emailed her. I ordered 4 circs for about $65 including shipping. Payment is by PayPal. I just sent the payment and I'll see how long it takes to get the needles.

Here's the email address and website:

SchulzeWettendorf@t-online.de

http://www.dasstrickforum.de

You have to be patient. I found that it took 3 to 4 days to get a reply to each email I sent. I'm a little anxious dealing with a new company and one overseas, but I think everything will be OK. She seems very nice.

Anita

Anita
My completed projects

and here

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I received my Holz & Stein circulars in a matter of days but they were shipped from Brooklyn, NY. I hope your shipping is fast, too. I've bought yarn from UK and it arrived as fast as if it were from CA so you may be pleasantly surprised.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  10:19:20 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From whom did you order your needles, GFTC?

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  10:20:12 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anita, thank you very much for posting this information!

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  12:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renee_knits
From whom did you order your needles, GFTC?

I ordered them from Catherine Knits in Brooklyn. The phone is 718-836-6439. She has a website but you are better off calling if you want current stock.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  2:54:54 PM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much!

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  8:23:05 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had tried Catherine first, and she didn't seem to have much left and not much hope of getting more. I would certainly try her first to see if she has what you want. I was asking about circulars, not dpns.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  06:58:33 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Anita--I've e-mailed Suzanne. I'll be interested in whether the connections on the circulars are as smooth as those on Addi Turbos.

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

argus
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  09:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit argus's Homepage Send argus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Anita,
I e-mailed her too, and will see what happens.

Argus

Carpe diem.

My blog http://kloobok.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  4:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will you all keep us updated on the progress with the German website? I bought the circulars from Catherine but she did not have the small sock knitting sizes in dpns, which I would like to order. I see they are on the German site so I would love to know how you guys fare with ordering from Suzanne. This could be a find.

P.S. Sorry for being lazy and letting you do the legwork.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

quikeye
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  01:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit quikeye's Homepage Send quikeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also love to hear any reviews on the circs-- particularly the joins and/or being compared to Addis... I'm debating on dpns or magic loop/2 circs for socks and this could help sway my decision :) Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:53:51 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still no response from Suzanne--perhaps she has been inundated by members KR forum readers!

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  8:12:25 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It took 3 to 4 days to get a response to each email I sent her, and she's been sick also. I would give it 4 days before writing again.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:31:29 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I GOT THEM!!! I paid by PayPal on 12/5 and the needles were delivered on 12/12. Amazing! Be forewarned that they were shipped registered mail and of course I wasn't home so I had to go to the post office to get them. Yikes! The PO right before Christmas! It took a while but they are in my hot little hands. They are really lovely. The wood is so smooth, the cables are soft. The join feels smooth to the touch - I will see how smooth it is to yarn.

So while email response is a little slow, shipping was lightning fast and I am a happy customer.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  08:13:20 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anita, I'm envious....and still haven't heard from Suzanne....

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  10:10:51 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally ordered from the little that Catherine Knits had left (she had more last week, but oh well). She mentioned that the woman who makes the needles (is that Suzanne?) has been quite ill.

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

argus
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  08:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit argus's Homepage Send argus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I received an e-mail from Suzanne, but it took a while for her to answer. Meanwhile I've found another online store http://www.wolleunddesign.de/ I e-mailed them (Rosemary speaks English), and they do have the needles. Their prices are better, and the shipping rate is better as well. Rosemary replied to my every e-mail promptly, which was reassuring. They do not accept PayPal, so you need to provide your credit card number (they suggest to do it in two e-mails for security). I've done it before when I bought yarn from Great Britain, so I don't see a problem with that.
I will post when my needles will come.
I could not find a picture of the needles on the website, so I just e-mailed and asked about the sizes I needed. However, they might have pictures somewhere on the site; my lack of German prevented me from successful browsing.

Argus

Carpe diem.

My blog http://kloobok.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  07:26:56 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Rosemarie is very responsive....but her H&S circulars are 80cm, not 60cm.....soooooo disappointing.....

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

ribbit
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  12:14:47 PM  Show Profile Send ribbit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. Just wanted to mention that Suzanne of http://www.stricknadeln.dasstrickforum.de

put up ordering info, and sizes and availabilty for the Holz & Stein needles in English. The availability chart was updated on 12/15. I don't remember seeing info in English the last time I was at her site.
Go to Top of Page

Kim85
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  9:10:57 PM  Show Profile Send Kim85 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got an email back from Rosemary and she said that she will be receiving the 60cm (24")circulars soon. Her prices are a little lower than Suzanne's (esp. for the DPN's).
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  9:11:39 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ribbit

Hi. Just wanted to mention that Suzanne of http://www.stricknadeln.dasstrickforum.de

put up ordering info, and sizes and availabilty for the Holz & Stein needles in English. The availability chart was updated on 12/15. I don't remember seeing info in English the last time I was at her site.

Ha! Probably because I sent so many KR readers there and this way she can skip the emails! I feel empowered!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth