Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Spring Fiber Festival - Virginia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

SheilaM
Warming Up

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  07:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit SheilaM's Homepage Send SheilaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whew! The website for the first annual Sedalia Spring Fiber Festival is, at last, on the Internet. Please check it out, and if anyone is interested in participating, just send a note! I am co-organizing this celebration of fiber with Marty Leist, owner of Peaks Alpaca Shop in Goode, VA (Bedford County). The site is The Sedalia Center, also Bedford County, a beautiful setting with mountains in the background and good facilities. Actually, Sedalia is a former school, so we have indoor classrooms, covered stage, tents, etc. for a time of the year when the weather can be unpredictable.

We're looking for vendors, demonstrators and exhibitors -- and, of course, attendees! Knitting, weaving, spinning, felting, quilting, art quilts, bobbin lace -- all needle crafts, all fiber sources.
Check out the website and give me your feedback? www.springfiberfestival.com

SheilaM
www.wool2dye4.com

angelcooper@hotmail.com
Gabber Extraordinaire

541 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:16:23 PM  Show Profile Send angelcooper@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there Sheila,
Will there be a fiber arts competition??????

Angel
Knitting and spinning in the Shenandoah Valley

My blog - http://vaknittingangel.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  2:08:06 PM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, a spring fiber festival is mighty appealing. Lots of fall stuff and not much spring except for MDSW. Just might be enough to make me come south to Bedford County.

Mary Lou

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Zack2849
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  2:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Zack2849 a Yahoo! Message Send Zack2849 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While MDSW is great...it's growing more and more crowded! I think that it would be really nice to have a little elbow room and see a more diverse group of artisans - such as, blacksmithing. Not to mention that driving in Virginia is easy on the eyes...it's beautiful here.

Best,
Joe Zachry
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  7:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking for something fun for Spring, and I've never been to Virginia. I've bookmarked your website!!

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  02:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh! My favorite cousins live in Bedford - so it's a given that I will be there. I'm neither a vendor nor a farmer, but I sure am a fiber lover. And if there's a fiber arts show/competition I'll certainly be there.

What a treat! Spring fiber festival. Yea!!

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaM
Warming Up

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  07:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit SheilaM's Homepage Send SheilaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How great to see 5 responses in one day! About having a fiber competition ... we thought that we'd be too inexperienced our first year for a competition, but maybe not. Any suggestions on a simple one from anyone? Yes, Bedford County is beautiful, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Sedalia is nestled right up to one of the mountains -- a refreshing and calming location. There is a nice hotel on the Parkway Where Route 43 crosses (Peaks of Otter Lodge) and a couple of B&B's and a Day's Inn in Bedford County. Lynchburg, where I live, has lots of hotels and is 20-25 minutes from Sedalia.

quote:
Originally posted by BessH

Oh! My favorite cousins live in Bedford - so it's a given that I will be there. I'm neither a vendor nor a farmer, but I sure am a fiber lover. And if there's a fiber arts show/competition I'll certainly be there.

What a treat! Spring fiber festival. Yea!!

Bess

SheilaM
www.wool2dye4.com
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  07:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest at least a fiber arts show even if you don't have a competition. The best way to encourage new people to jump into fiber is to let them see what beautiful things can be made. If you wanted to limit it you might consider having an all sock show or an all sweater, hat display. And you ought to consider a woven display and a felted project display. As for the competition part - well, that's less important to me, but it is always nice. What I like is to be inspired by other artists.

But the more people trying out new fiber arts the more customers people will have. So we gotta lure them in, we wicked spidery spinners and weavers and knitters and crocheters and....

Bess
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  07:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Count me in - a Spring festival is a great idea!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

angelcooper@hotmail.com
Gabber Extraordinaire

541 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  08:10:21 AM  Show Profile Send angelcooper@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Bess, you are soooooooo badddddddddd - - encouraging that luring in of folks to the wonderful world of fiber.

Sheila, I would agree with Bess that showing our wonderful wares is fun. Perhaps you might want to get in touch with the person at Fall Fiber Festival that handles the competition that to get some advice or guidance about that. It does not have to be elaborate - but it sure helps to motivate me to improve my skills!!

Just a thought.

Angel

Go to Top of Page

indigomuse@verizon.net
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  08:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit indigomuse@verizon.net's Homepage Send indigomuse@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've shared the information with our spinning and knitting group. I can't wait! What a wonderful idea.

IndigoMuse

Musing about knitting and spinning at http://indigomuse.blogspot.com/
Check out my felted monkey's world tour at http://ziraontour.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  1:14:26 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How long a drive is this from Leesburg?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

SheilaM
Warming Up

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  3:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheilaM's Homepage Send SheilaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The drive from Leesburg is about 3-1/2 hours. I did it this fall when I attended MAFA. Not too bad, but definitely beautiful. Once you get past Warrenton, the countryside turns into the rolling foothills. From just north of Charlottesville to Lynchburg and to Bedford County is one of my favorite drives. 'Can't help it! I love Virginia. You might want to spend the night before the festival, or plan to arrive around 11 a.m. or so.
quote:
Originally posted by achrisvet

How long a drive is this from Leesburg?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

SheilaM
www.wool2dye4.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaM
Warming Up

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  3:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheilaM's Homepage Send SheilaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We DO need a fiber arts show. We'd already planned a fashion show on the outdoor stage, but tables with different work on them will be a good idea. There will be an art quilt show there as well. We decided to include the quilters, lace makers (they're doing a demonstration in costume!), and other needlework because we need a nice big show in this area.
Thanks so much for your help.

You wrote: But the more people trying out new fiber arts the more customers people will have. So we gotta lure them in, we wicked spidery spinners and weavers and knitters and crocheters and....

Bess
[/quote]

SheilaM
www.wool2dye4.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaM
Warming Up

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  3:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheilaM's Homepage Send SheilaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on down, girl!!!
quote:
[i].

Just might be enough to make me come south to Bedford County.

Mary Lou

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." Ralph Waldo Emerson

SheilaM
www.wool2dye4.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaM
Warming Up

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  3:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheilaM's Homepage Send SheilaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely in touch with the Montpelier Fall Fiber Festival folks. Some are gone to the NY show this weekend, and we're making our list of questions. Dan Hershey, Carodan Farms, has been on the committee forever and is willing to help us out.

I see you're over in the Valley, and hope you will make it to our first festival, Angel. Just a hop and a jump from Lexington area.

quote:
Originally posted by angelcooper@hotmail.com

Perhaps you might want to get in touch with the person at Fall Fiber Festival that handles the competition that to get some advice or guidance about that. Angel

SheilaM
www.wool2dye4.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaM
Warming Up

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  3:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheilaM's Homepage Send SheilaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much! You were one of the people I was going to get in touch with. I've got a list of some groups in the Roanoke/Salem area, and wanted to ask them to put the news into their membership newsletter.
quote:
Originally posted by indigomuse@verizon.net

I've shared the information with our spinning and knitting group. I can't wait! What a wonderful idea.

IndigoMuse

SheilaM
www.wool2dye4.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaM
Warming Up

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  3:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheilaM's Homepage Send SheilaM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a high compliment, Susan! You will definitely love Virginia. The people are friendly, the pace of life is slower than CA (I lived in Los Angeles for 12 years), and the scenery is lovely. Plus, we have some wonderful fiber artists here.
quote:
Originally posted by Susan T-O

I was looking for something fun for Spring, and I've never been to Virginia. I've bookmarked your website!!

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov

SheilaM
www.wool2dye4.com
Go to Top of Page

emmy
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  8:54:41 PM  Show Profile Send emmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am certainly looking forward to this event in the spring! Also for people looking for good places to stay or other things to see. My favorite place in all of Virginia isn't too far away...Smith Mountain Lake. There is a nice State Park with camping facilities as well as nice cabins to rent. There is a hotel( Lake Inn) and some Bed and Breakfast Inns.It is a beautiful lake and there is a great yarn shop Tapestries right there.

Springtime in Virginia is gorgeous and that is a wonderful part of the state. Just can't wait!!!

emmy
http:/lakeknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emmy
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  9:00:30 PM  Show Profile Send emmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am certainly looking forward to this event in the spring! Also for people looking for good places to stay or other things to see. My favorite place in all of Virginia isn't too far away...Smith Mountain Lake. There is a nice State Park with camping facilities as well as nice cabins to rent. There is a hotel( Lake Inn) and some Bed and Breakfast Inns.It is a beautiful lake and there is a great yarn shop Tapestries right there.

Springtime in Virginia is gorgeous and that is a wonderful part of the state. Just can't wait!!!

emmy
http:/lakeknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Boston Terrier Knitter
Chatty Knitter

315 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  05:19:43 AM  Show Profile Send Boston Terrier Knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are things I don't see on your website that I would like to know as an attendee

Admission fee if there is one
List of Food Vendors
Class schedule, pricing, and deadline for signing up

I would like to see classes for spinning, weaving, and beginner knitting/crochet.

Also, I like that the Montpelier FF is 2 days. That way if you can't make it one day, you can go the second day of the weekend. I don't know if y'all are able to do that with your facility, but it might be something to consider.

I am so excited to hear of this event and will keep my eyes and ears open. Oh, and as far as advertising goes, you might want to send out email or mail flyers to yarn shops around Virginia to see if they will put a sign up for you.

By the way, I did hear the Montpelier FF advertised on our local NPR station in Richmond.

"Nothing in America is more American or more expressive of the American spirit than that of the little American dog, the Boston terrier."
http://bostonterrierknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.