Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 Anyone in graduate school?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  12:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished my M.A. in Spanish over the summer.

kristi

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

lauren
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  10:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit lauren's Homepage Send lauren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm starting my 3rd year of a 2-year program in library and information science (MLIS degree), and should be graduating in December. Yay!
Go to Top of Page

Tgz
Chatty Knitter

Portugal
205 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  12:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tgz's Homepage Send Tgz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back from holidays. Still a lot of work to do on the thesis, and no time to knit :(

my knitting blog: http://knittingthrough.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KnitRedSox
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  4:51:16 PM  Show Profile Send KnitRedSox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I was a grad student until last year, now I have a fellowship, and I'm going back for a Ph.D. in Political Science (clearly I am a glutton for punishment). I'm already freaking out about getting tenure and I'm not even enrolled in a program yet! My GRE scores for my masters program were dismal, so I'm studying again. NOTE for those who are thinking about grad school: they are changing the format of the GRE next October. It will be longer and probably harder and it will be difficult to schools to judge the scores. If you are going back soon or plan to, try and take the test as it is now!!
Go to Top of Page

KimC
Warming Up

76 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  5:00:11 PM  Show Profile Send KimC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see this thread...
I'm a 3rd year veterinary student and I'm tracking small animal. I had to take GRE's for admission to vet school and I used a Kaplan CD ROM to prepare. I've never done that well on standardized tests but for this one I was highly motivated. I did ALL the modules and games and practice tests as many times as I could bear and it really paid off. Just a thought in preparing for ANNOYING standardized tests.
Good luck, I'm sure you're going to do great!
KimC
Go to Top of Page

Tgz
Chatty Knitter

Portugal
205 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  1:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tgz's Homepage Send Tgz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argh! My thesis is going so slowly!... I hope after the holidays I can make it go faster!

And then, when I finish it, I will need to find a job! Argh! So much pressure...

But at least when I do find a job, I will have a little more money for yarn :)

Just needed to decompress a little...

TGZ

my knitting blog: http://knittingthrough.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  7:51:31 PM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in my 5th year of my doctorate program studying geology. I left physics (which I did undergrad) for the more applied sciences. I'm not really sure when I'll finish. Right now I feel like a career student. Good luck all you other grad students. Hopefully we all finish soon.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

swords n needles
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  09:07:09 AM  Show Profile Send swords n needles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a first year grad student studying history in a department FULL of knitters. When our class of 13 started there were three knitters. Since then three more grads have learned to knit and one guy's wife. We're slowly working on the remaining 7. We have a friday night knitting group (no class the next day, see?) hosted by each of us on a rotating basis. Movies, snacks, and gossiping about historians-- what could be better?
Go to Top of Page

argoknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  5:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit argoknit's Homepage Send argoknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was accepted into grad school 3 years ago and will be taking my first class this fall. I chickened out due to finances for spring semester. But now my employer has made an exception to their rule and they will be picking up half the tab, so I've enrolled. I'm going for a Masters in Mass Communications.

[image]http://www.isaacsondesign.net/forum/argoknit_logo.gif[/image]
http://www.isaacsondesign.net/
Go to Top of Page

comfybev
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  1:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit comfybev's Homepage  Send comfybev a Yahoo! Message Send comfybev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear you about the thesis. I just finished mine and by the time I did I wanted to go throw it down on the department secretary's desk saying this was my burnt offering to the god of the academy. It was crazy but knitting has helped me stay sane.

Take care, Bev
2006 FO Count: 5
http://bwdiaz.blogs.com/comfybev/
OTN: Baby Sweater, Anouk Pinafore, Sockapaloooza socks
Go to Top of Page

mangokiwi
Chatty Knitter

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  12:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit mangokiwi's Homepage Send mangokiwi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also in grad school -- I am a PhD student in Computer Science. I've finished two years of the program and don't know how much I have left!! My officemate Minh who replied to this post earlier was actually the one who taught me how to knit and introduced me to this forum. Although there are not many women in computer science, I find that the are a few who do knit during class and it's kind of cool to have the girls knitting during class... Two of my male officemates expressed interest in knitting too much is way cool because a lot of guys think it detracts from their manliness or some such thing...

In summary, I think knitting is going to keep me sane during my PhD program. I find the highs and lows of grad school affect me less now that I am bury my worries in a knitting project...

Check out my blog!
http://knitting-fun.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitpadeshu
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Sitpadeshu a Yahoo! Message Send Sitpadeshu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in grad school currently at Washington State University. I'm getting an MA in Apparel Design. I'll be finishing my thesis project (a full scale fashion show) this year. :) There are plenty of young ladies in our program that knit during class and we are hoping to start a knitting club this year. I'm going to be a knit designer, so as soon as I have a good stash I'm going to be knitting in class all the time. :)
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  1:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck in school. I don't miss all of the papers and stuff of grad school.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  4:33:41 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A knit designer! How exciting. You must post a link with pictures of your fashion show when it happens.
I'm about 3 months away from defending my PhD in genetics, and the only way I'm keeping going is bribing myself with a little knitting if I finish certain tasks.
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  4:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still in the coursework stage of my PhD in Information Studies... miles and years to go! I'm doing it part time while working full time.. so that's why I'm pretty stealth around here now. I took the summer off and did a lot of knitting, but the fall semester starts very, very soon...
Christina

In Maryland
Blog: http://christinasknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jagienka
Chatty Knitter

Ireland
101 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  11:31:17 AM  Show Profile Send Jagienka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone in my lab looks at me like on some kind of freak whenever a big box filled with wool is delivered to me. I'm struggling with a PhD in biochemistry, hope to finish some time next year (unless I quit first).
Knitting keeps me sane... really ... after the whole day in the lab, my brain needs a break and the best way to relax and rest is by grabbing the needles and knitting few rows.

Good luck with your PhD's !!
Go to Top of Page

mwedzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  2:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit mwedzi's Homepage Send mwedzi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in my 6th year of a PhD program in Linguistics. I'm thinking of quitting. I'm always thinking of quitting. I should just quit. I've lost motivation. I can fill out a form and get my MA anytime I want since I've already done enough work for it, but the thought of learning yet another langauge (German for reading this time), writing yet another qualifying paper, and *then* finally getting to dissertation is too much. Taking classes was easy! I hate school.

--nikki
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  4:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finsh my Master's in Health Management on 31st October so am deep in final dissertation write up mode - I am working full time too so am feeling so behind it's not true but with copious knitting breaks and a holiday in Italy planned for early November I am clinging to my sanity!

Hang in there everyone!

Jane

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  1:01:35 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on an MS in Environmental Science all distance from University of Idaho, so I also work FT and take care of the fam. The schooling is so sloooow. But fun, too, so don't take that as a real complaint.
Go to Top of Page

mariecza
Chatty Knitter

164 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  4:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit mariecza's Homepage  Send mariecza a Yahoo! Message Send mariecza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Grad School students,

My name is Marie and I am about to finish my Master's in Industrial Design. I am specialized in Textile Design, so knitting is just part of the many things that I love to do with a thread and a needle.

Good luck to you all at school!

Marie.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by