Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 Anyone in graduate school?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Tgz
Chatty Knitter

Portugal
205 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  1:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tgz's Homepage Send Tgz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. I'm a graduate student in Physics. Hopefully I will finish my MSc thesis this Fall.

Are there any other graduate students in this forum?

tgz

my knitting blog: http://knittingthrough.blogspot.com

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3465 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  2:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Tgz,
I'm a graduate student too and I should be done with my Ph.D. in applied math next June. YEAH!
There are a lot of other grad students on this forum and a lot of other people in engineering, physics, ...

Where are you in Portugal?? One of my best friends in grad school was Portuguese and got her masters there before coming to the US. But now she has graduated and moved to the other coast :(

Good luck with your MSc thesis, the end is near!

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  2:47:45 PM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, young graduate.Didn't want you sitting here waiting on anyone responding to you.So here I am.But no graduate school for me.It's been a very long time, since I went to school.
What are you going to do after you do graduate?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  3:10:59 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on my doctorate in nursing; I'll be defending my dissertation in January, if I can put my knitting down...

Mari

Don't confuse knowledge with wisdom. With one you make a living, with the other you make a life.
Go to Top of Page

reba
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  4:31:37 PM  Show Profile Send reba a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm studying for a nasty prelim (9 more days!) and then writing the blasted dissertaion in soc.

knitting at the end of the day is my reward for working hard all summer!
Go to Top of Page

anang310
Chatty Knitter

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  07:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit anang310's Homepage Send anang310 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck on your prelim Reba!

I'm a doctoral candidate--working on my dissertation in English Lit.

http://www.anitaderouen.net/knitnut
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  07:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished my masters (MLS) 2.5 years ago and I'm starting on my PhD in the fall (wow, classes start next month!!!!) I'll still be working full time so it will probably take me forever, lol. My BS is in physics, then masters in library science and now phd will be in library science.

In Maryland
Blog: http://christinasknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  08:10:46 AM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm doing a PhD in genetics, hoping to finish in the spring. But I'm constantly distracted by my knitting . . .
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  11:59:19 AM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Defending a MSc in Statistics next week! Knitting really has been a great distraction. It's helped me relax a lot. Sometimes too much... HAHA

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

freecia
Chatty Knitter

195 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  12:56:24 PM  Show Profile Send freecia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. Master's in Software Engineering for me.
Go to Top of Page

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  3:49:10 PM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jainkym@yahoo.com

I'm doing a PhD in genetics, hoping to finish in the spring. But I'm constantly distracted by my knitting . . .

Glad I'm not the only one distracted from the lab (I'm working on my Ph.D. in chemistry) by knitting.

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  8:35:04 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another graduate student here, but I'm going back to school after being in the corporate world for some time.
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  8:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too. I am studying for a Masters of Business with a focus on International Marketing

celia

My blog is here:
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
I am destashing here:
http://celias-basket.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KnitKnut
Permanent Resident

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  2:36:11 PM  Show Profile Send KnitKnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm studying for a Master's in Liberal Arts (interdisciplinary studies). I did a BA in 1973 and spent many years in corporate America before deciding to go back to school. Best decision I've made in a long time, but it does cut into my knitting time!
Good luck on your thesis.

Marie from NC
Go to Top of Page

Yogi
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  3:52:35 PM  Show Profile Send Yogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm graduating in December, and if I don't leave right now and stop surfing on KR, I'll be late for class.

- Lisa

...smarter than the average bear ...
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  04:53:40 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maribelaprn

I'm working on my doctorate in nursing; I'll be defending my dissertation in January, if I can put my knitting down...

Mari

So, does one call a nurse with a Ph.D doctor? It must get cofusing.

Before PPD side tracked me, I was working on a master's in Adult Education. There were a lot of nurses in my classes.

Barbara

Healthy conservatism promotes the continuity of civilization, the importance
of community, the dangers of thoughtless change. It does not, or should not,
assert the right of white, Christian heterosexual males of a certain age to
limit the rights of everyone else. The past 100 years of social history has
been dedicated, on good days, to constraining the dominance of this
minority. Yesterday was a good day: J.Ibbotson, June 29/05, on the passing of the same-sex marriage bill.

Go to Top of Page

Tgz
Chatty Knitter

Portugal
205 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  10:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tgz's Homepage Send Tgz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in Lisbon. And I will spend August writing my thesis. (Must... resist... temptation... to... knit...). Nice to meet you all graduate students!

my knitting blog: http://knittingthrough.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  11:14:04 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barbara, most nurses who have doctorates prefer not to to be called "doctor", since the term "doctor" is usually used to refer to a physician. We do use the credentials after our names however. In an academic setting, anyone with a doctorate is referred to as "Dr. Lastname", but to just be called "doctor", no.

BTW, in addition to Ph.D degrees, many colleges and universities offer Doctor of Nursing Science (DNS, DsN, DNSc) and a DNP...Doctorate of Nursing Practice, which is a newer programme.

Mari

Don't confuse knowledge with wisdom. With one you make a living, with the other you make a life.
http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

comfybev
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  5:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit comfybev's Homepage  Send comfybev a Yahoo! Message Send comfybev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I'm in my 2nd and final year of an MA in Religious Studies. I'm working on PhD apps this summer, and writing my thesis next fall. Knitting also helps me relax and gives me something to do besides be in my head all day. I plan to try to stay in acadmia following my PhD despite the dire predictions about the crappy job market but we will see. Good luck Reba and let us know how it goes!

Take care, Bev
OTN: Socks for DH, "Best foot Forward" socks, Chulo #2, "Inca Pattern Scarf"
http://bwdiaz.blogs.com/comfybev/
Go to Top of Page

karabiner
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  02:05:13 AM  Show Profile Send karabiner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I'm a post-doc in pharmaceutical sciences/bioengineering. Good luck to everyone writing up Phds, I can assure you thats its worth it in the end, and I wrote mine up faster than my non-knitting colleagues!

seeya, jen
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  06:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished my MS in Computer Science - 15 years after completing my BS in Pharmacy. Got married, bought a house, and had a baby along the way.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FO: 7, WIP: 1

"As for me and my house..."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by