Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Occupation of Male Knitters - Is there a trend?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Knitasha
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
355 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  6:29:41 PM  Show Profile Send Knitasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the three men who post regularly on the TKGA board, one is an actor, one a gynecologist-obstetrician, one a retired English schoolmaster. Proving exactly nothing.

I once compiled a list of women knitters in academia (at least their email addresses ended in .edu) and they were, with few exceptions, either in mathematics or the sciences.
Proving I don't know what.
Go to Top of Page

linann
Warming Up

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  6:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Send linann a Yahoo! Message Send linann a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Before retiring I was a welder in an automotive factory. Before that I ran the service parts department of the factory for after market parts to suppliers.

The job before that was in an insurance company as a rater.

Way before that I was a stay at home mom for 6 kids.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  9:44:42 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an anthropologist and totally missing any skill in math. However, I'm analytical by training and nature. It helps when figuring out patterns.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  06:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My great uncle (who has always crocheted) retired as a manager of a Concrete plant.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

caroledward
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  07:16:39 AM  Show Profile Send caroledward a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another software engineer here - go techies!!
Go to Top of Page

crowingram
New Pal

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  3:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit crowingram's Homepage Send crowingram a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that there are lots of techies both among male knitters that I've met and among new shop owners. I've always subscribed (as many others have mentioned) that it's a math/technical bent that lends itself easily to knitting or counted fiber skills. To be honest, I love knitting as it's affordable and portable, but if I could weave as much as I'm able to knit, I'd be up to my armpits in fabric.... well, moreso than I already am.

Matt.

Forget Rock City! See Crowing Ram
http://crowingram.threadbearfiberarts.com
Go to Top of Page

crowingram
New Pal

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  3:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit crowingram's Homepage Send crowingram a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, my original point was that I too am from a tech background. Web development and programming.

-M.

Forget Rock City! See Crowing Ram
http://crowingram.threadbearfiberarts.com
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  03:46:25 AM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The knitting guys I know are a bioligist, a computer tech and a student of animation which combines the tech with the art. Not quite sure where I fit on this scale I come from an entire family of phisicists and engineers but my own career is very improbable, and unlikely

DWN
Go to Top of Page

eae1969@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 08/04/2006 :  08:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the most refreshing conversation with an older gentleman (about 70 yrs old) that I met at the bookstore yesterday. We were browsing in the craft section, and I asked if he knitted or crocheted. To my surprise he told me his mother and grandmother were Irish, and they taught him to knit at age 8, and he's been knitting ever since. We ended up talking techniques and trends over coffee! He's a retired Big 3 automotive executive, he spent his summers as a youth in Ireland with relatives, and prefers to knit mostly aran and fair isle sweaters. He taught his wife to knit many years ago, and she taught him to crochet about 15 yrs ago when he retired. Now he and his wife teach a weekly class to senior citizens at their local activity center.

Happy Knitting!
Ericka
Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  2:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only male knitter I've talked to (at my LYS) is a pediatrician. I have a bachelor's in human resources and math is definitely not my cup of tea. But, there is a lady in one of my knitting groups who has a degree in physics. I've often wondered if those who are more mathmatical than others, find knitting easier?

Kay

www.knittinggalnokc.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ilustren
Warming Up

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  7:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ilustren's Homepage Send ilustren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in Education. I train ESL teachers (specifically curriculum design and English langauge systems), teach Esl and SSL (Spanish as a second langauge). I also enjoy illustration, graphic design and web design (the small techie part of me).

Perhaps the fact that there may be more techies than not participating in online forums might skew the results of a poll. A statistician may like to comment here.

Charles
Welland, Ontario
Blog: http://jigraknits.livejournal.com/
"God being the original knitter (Psalms 139:13) and humans (she AND he) being made in God's image...I'm equally entitled to enjoy creating through fibre."
Go to Top of Page

musclpete
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  07:51:35 AM  Show Profile Send musclpete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, just joined. Um, yeah, I'm a geek too. IT all of my life. Programmer and DBA for a company that runs asphalt and aggregate plants here in beautiful Indiana.
Go to Top of Page

LoneKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  12:51:46 PM  Show Profile Send LoneKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Female here - Civil Engineering Student high school through college. I am an Accounts Receivable Manager for an outside processor for one of the big three automotive companies now. I also program all of their applications (I can make spreadsheets dance), and manage ISO 9000 conformity. Math - BRING IT ON!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

noramcd
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  1:33:55 PM  Show Profile Send noramcd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another female geek here: Ph.D. chemist, currently working in R&D for big Pharma. I Have to say though, that math has never been my joy in life. I was always up to my eyeballs in yarn, fabric or paint when I was a kid, and am still happiest that way, with the addition of beads and gardening dirt to the pile.
Go to Top of Page

cinderindi
Chatty Knitter

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  12:31:59 PM  Show Profile Send cinderindi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a chemical engineer/physicist and avid knitter. My husband the IT-guy/physicist, and engineer-at-heart (had he gotten proper advice when entering univeristy) has just gotten into knitting after agreeing to crochet and cross-stitch. It appears that a similarity is math/puzzle/problem solving skills and the interest of creating something out of raw materials!
Go to Top of Page

Schachkoenigin
Chatty Knitter

166 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  09:13:50 AM  Show Profile Send Schachkoenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know one crocheter who is a theology professor, and my uncle knows a priest who knits. I also know one teenage boy who says he knits, but I think he's lying. And my 7yo and 4yo brothers knit.

---------------------------
Others have excuses, I have my reasons why...
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  09:58:11 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My grandfather could knit, though he didn't do it much. He was a (Irish-descended) deep-sea fisherman from Newfoundland, and operated the winch on the boat in the days when the winch was still manual. Lots of fishermen could knit because the skills were not dissimilar to making nets and tying knots. I did a little macrame as a teenager in the 70s, which he thought was hilarious - he said it was all just sailor's knots.

After he retired, he and my grandmother used to make afghans together while they watched TV. He would make these little pom-pom-y "lazy daisy" afghan squares using this little loom thingy, and she would sew the squares together.
Go to Top of Page

uplate6674
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  09:23:31 AM  Show Profile Send uplate6674 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a writer and editor, and I failed calculus twice.

Definitely non-techie.
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  07:07:24 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see...taught dd to knit a few years ago. She loved it and immediately noticed the math angle. The only thing she ever knit was a dishcloth (in her own pattern) that was basically a spiral rib. Then she moved on to other things and is currently taking a lot of computer-related/web design classes in college.

I'm the non-techie, Baking & Pastry Arts culinary student at Ivy Tech. I can do the math but can't visualize anything.

My young nephew insisted that I teach him how to knit over Christmas. His dad just about freaked out! Anyway, he is definitely an artsy, theater kind of kid, very creative.

Melanie in Indiana

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Finished 1 out of 6 UFOs! Must resist starting another project!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jolene108
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  12:56:08 PM  Show Profile Send Jolene108 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I own a Data Management Company, and am as Analytical and Anal as one can be. Also, a Libra to boot! Jolene in Vancouver WA USA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?