Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Occupation of Male Knitters - Is there a trend?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Knittingjen
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  03:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knittingjen's Homepage Send Knittingjen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My husband is an excellent knitter and he is a Professor of Chemistry.

Jen

"In the long run, you hit only what you aim at, so aim high."
- Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  9:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I haven't been on the forums in a LONG time, but decided to read this topic tonight. I've been busy working a few more hours, homeschooling, getting youngest of 3 sons off to college 12 hours away, playing with our 7 month old and 6 year old granddaughters, etc. Doing lots of knitting, too. I think this topic has been very interesting to read. I don't really consider myself a "techie" kind of person. I originally was going to be a teacher, didn't finish college, married, worked in a bank for a while, had 4 kids and homeschooled all of them all the way through. I did really love math in school...took everything up to calculus. I couldn't figure out why some of my kids didn't LOVE math, but the oldest is now taking Calculus 3 and is studying all kinds of computer related stuff in college. None of our boys knitted, but I didn't knit much then. However, they did do what I did, cross-stitch, sewing, crochet, etc. The middle one could crochet a ball after looking at one and watching me crochet for a few minutes! My job now is typing messages for pagers, transcription. I think my interest in knitting is more on the creative side, but I do enjoy the mathematical part of it some. I don't yet create anything complicated from scratch...mostly follow a pattern for lace and other fancier knitting. I think that's partly time limitation right now, though. My second son is a musician and is working as a chef.
Now, to our only DD, the youngest, she knits, crochets, sews her own clothes. She does use patterns, but she did a lot of her first knitting freehand, just inventing things as she went along. She uses computers all the time and understands them more than I do (!) but I don't think she's going to go into a technical field. LOL The funny thing about that is that she is the one kid that likes MATH!! Barb

Barb
Go to Top of Page

danny
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  07:23:21 AM  Show Profile Send danny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only knit as a condition of my parole - does that make me a non-techie?

In through the front door,
Running round the back.
Looking through the window,
Off comes Jack!
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  07:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danny

I only knit as a condition of my parole - does that make me a non-techie?

Baaaahahahahahha!

http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

DorsetMartin
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  8:35:37 PM  Show Profile Send DorsetMartin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first profession was a chef now I'm a teacher. A Pre-K teacher.
I love the math aspect to knitting & how an item evolves on the needles. Sometimes I read a pattern & think, "How on earth will that work"? And oddly enough it does!

You made a mistake.
It's homemade. Nobody's purlfect in this world!
Go to Top of Page

ErickaJo
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  11:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Send ErickaJo a Yahoo! Message Send ErickaJo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My bf is a CS major with a fine arts minor ;) Knitting seems to be right up his ally. He works in tech support for the time being.

So add one for tech.

ErickaJo
Go to Top of Page

mcselkirk
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  5:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcselkirk's Homepage Send mcselkirk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an interesting topic. To add my data, I am a female doctoral student studying microbiology and immunology.

I am not skilled quantitatively but do see a tiny flaw in this informal poll (which is however, highly entertaining). Aside from the people added secondhand by posters, the replies to this thread will be biased towards folks who have the technical skills to allow their participation. Also, computer-savvy people know of other computer-savvy people because they fall into similar socioeconomic, generational, and social circles. So, I think we're skewing for techie knitters. Just my two cents. :)
Go to Top of Page

Pagan Knitter
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  6:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pagan Knitter's Homepage  Send Pagan Knitter a Yahoo! Message Send Pagan Knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a male hair stylist with an education in computer hardware and programing, and networking - MCP,CNA, A+, Network +. Not sure where I fall -techie or non-techie. As a busy stylist I a get to talk to many people and have met some great fellow knitters and made some wonderful knitting friends.
Ed

http://paganknitter.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  12:03:51 AM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a degree in math and second in fine arts. When I went to school, we didnt have computers( aging myself). Calculators came out my junior year. I never could figure out how to blend the two. Then the home computers came along, now I spend as much time designing and painting on the computer as I do off it. Im a digital designer and illustrator. I always referred to myself as a arty nerd.
My knitting reaxes me, I tend towards the difficult challenging patterns and creating my own patterns. So i guess the math side of me does dictate some of my creativity these days. I love counting those little stitches, and being a bit anal and having a slight OCD, i love getting them all perfectly lined up, all exact size. IM also a compulsive ripper.
One of the fun things I like about knitting is when friend brings me a problem and I get to figure out what happened.
Go to Top of Page

jickymcjickster
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  2:42:51 PM  Show Profile Send jickymcjickster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my men's knitting group we have finance (me), community organizing, landscape architect, lighting designer, concierege, students and a knitwear designer
Go to Top of Page

iluvdeftones
Chatty Knitter

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  02:30:33 AM  Show Profile Send iluvdeftones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very strange: I am extremely creative and love the arts but I have always been good at math. I don't get it. I am an independent massage therapist who is trying to find a steady job at a lys or a scrapbook store (my two favorite stores in the whole world).

My bf wants me to teach him how to knit and he has a degree in fine arts. But he's more of the drawing/painting type. And (this has nothing to do with knitting) he loves cats. [meow] I have never met a guy who likes cats, all the ones I know prefer dogs. I don't know why I added that, I just thought that it is interesting. I guess it's because our cat, Jack, loves to play with my yarn when I am knitting.

Sorry, I'm sleep deprived and I'll stop now.

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
-Lewis Carroll
Go to Top of Page

KevinG
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  09:38:43 AM  Show Profile Send KevinG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I myself am a psychologist. So is the fellow who taught me to knit; and I know at least one other man who knits who is a psychologist, so that's three of us.
-Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Nanerbasil
New Pal

32 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  2:36:52 PM  Show Profile Send Nanerbasil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just my two cents for the poll. I work in theatre and hold a degree in acting and one in stage management. Does that make me a techie and a non-techie?

Nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool.
Go to Top of Page

StixInOregon
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  7:10:31 PM  Show Profile Send StixInOregon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IT Helpdesk Analyst
Go to Top of Page

maldacht
Warming Up

66 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  1:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit maldacht's Homepage  Send maldacht a Yahoo! Message Send maldacht a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im a Librarian.
:-)
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  1:14:53 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
work in theatre and hold a degree in acting and one in stage management. Does that make me a techie and a non-techie?

yuppers! it also makes you more likely to stay employed!

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

nerissa
Chatty Knitter

263 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  12:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit nerissa's Homepage Send nerissa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found this topic, and...way interesting!

I'm definitely a techie, though one with strong non-techie tendencies.

I did my BS in computer science/math/psychology, and I'm currently doing a PhD in cognitive psychology with certificates in neuroscience and education research.

I worked as a web/graphic designer all through college and have always enjoyed arts and crafts. I did manage to get a couple of art/art history courses under my belt in between all the math and lab courses. I love playing color, shapes, and proportion.

I've developed something of a reputation for having "pretty Powerpoint slides" for all of my presentations. I usually make my own Powerpoint templates because I think the pre-packaged ones are ugly.

My boyfriend, who I just taught how to knit, is a biomedical/software engineer.

It actually doesn't surprise me that a lot of knitters are engineers. Both are creative pursuits that half run on intuition and half run on calculated tweaking of a design. I often joke that I should have been an engineer because on my current career path I don't get to *make* anything, I just read/write/talk. This is why I need to get my creative ya-yas by spiffing up Powerpoint. Heh.

-------------
CogKnition
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  04:52:05 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geek/techies here!

Me---chemist, but "retired" early
Dh---PhD chemist, working in research/products development/sensors devleopment.

I knit, he doesn't. Although he doesn't, he is facinated and is very much an enabler. I DO have a feeling that he would like to learn, etc. but is "shy" about it. He was all over the MDSW and wanted to buy more than I. So I would call him an knitter-at-heart.

I think the geekish side comes out with knitting because of the thought process used in a project, the techniques developed to get the desired effect, and the problem solving as things happen.
Go to Top of Page

5needlesmatt
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  07:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit 5needlesmatt's Homepage Send 5needlesmatt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can add one more to the non-techie side of things. I have a degree in Spanish, a year of seminary training, and currently work as a special education assistant. What are the totals now?
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  10:44:14 AM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more for the female techies. I spent 35 years as a software engineer.

I just love learning how things are made: knitting, crochet, drawing. It's the techiniques that interest me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?