Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Occupation of Male Knitters - Is there a trend?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

sdallenhou
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  4:31:26 PM  Show Profile Send sdallenhou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an educator, but I have the mind of an engineer. I was also trained as a classical musician, which uses much of the analytical power of the brain. I am also involved in software development, so again with the analytical stuff. Knitting is ideal for OCD types with analytical minds and a love of creating.

Steve in Houston
Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  4:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in customer service/admin right now, but am heading back to school for IT!

I love the math involved in knitting.

Kris
[img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/jumping/jumping05.gif[/img]

2005 stats: 3 FO, 2 WIP, 3 USO
Finished: Wavy Scarf & 2 hats
WIP: Mittens to match Wavy, felted bag
USO: Hat to match Wavy, lace scarf & Christmas stocking

How is it that my USO & WIP never decrease, no matter how many FO I create?

Go to Top of Page

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  5:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am retired........ work in Public Safety and math was my worst subject... love English and History but not sure that helps with knitting.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  6:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message  Reply with Quote
12 techies vs. 8 non techies.....

The dorks with the pocket protectors are winning!
Go to Top of Page

BoiseBoy
Warming Up

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  11:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit BoiseBoy's Homepage Send BoiseBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to confuse things - I'm a Chiropractor.

Tech or non-tech? If it helps, I'm pretty left-brained in most things (linear, math-y, etc), and have a defective gay gene (I have no taste in clothing, interior design and musical theater).

But, I CAN pick out a sweater to knit.

Ed

"I'll come out in four years." [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/scared/scared15.gif [/img]
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  11:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had a job so put another mark up there for non techies. I can't do any altering to patterns if there is math involved... I have to head straight to my husband. That man can alter a pattern in a matter of miutes! He eats, sleeps and breathes numbers...he's an actuary. He sure comes in handy

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

http://allthingsm.typepad.com/all_things_m/

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kysknitnmom/my_photos

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  08:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kyench

12 techies vs. 8 non techies.....

The dorks with the pocket protectors are winning!

LOLOLOL
When I started my job as the technology coordinator for a school district I was asked if I had a pocket protector and wore white socks! The answer is no to both! Yesterday I wore my crazy striped socks made with Regia yarn with my clear plastic boots just to prove I didn't have white socks on.
Kim

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Kim
I have a blog! http://kimsknitpage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  08:39:56 AM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend from work that I taught to knit is our webmaster so does that count as another techie? He enjoys the zen feeling he gets from knitting.
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  3:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message  Reply with Quote
14 techies and 9 non techies...

Yeah, a chiropractor should be a techie too..... unless you consider the human anatomy to be more of an art form rather than science.... hmmm..... that didn't come out right did it?

But a defective gay gene...?? Don't know if I could count you in then..?

KC
http://boiknit.blog.com/
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  3:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess we've stopped polling just the boys? Add me to the non-techie list. I'm a construction litigation paralegal and while I do know a lot of practical construction stuff the engineering issues make my eyes glaze over. Math is not my thing. I can visualize it, but not necessarily calculate it. Programs like Sweater Wizard make me very, very happy.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sdallenhou
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  12:31:53 AM  Show Profile Send sdallenhou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can I get credit for being both techie and non-techie? My background includes music, counseling, quantitative research, and qualitative research. I work in special education administration but also develop software. Does that just make me confused--again?
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  9:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alrighty then, 15 techies and 10 non techies.....

someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

I think clara was going to make this an official poll sometime later to find out what makes a knitter tick.
Go to Top of Page

kitkatknit
Chatty Knitter

184 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  09:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit kitkatknit's Homepage Send kitkatknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knitting hubby is a chemist, our knitting son will be going in to mechanical and materials engineering. I have a fine arts degree.
Go to Top of Page

Little Kitty
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  1:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Little Kitty's Homepage Send Little Kitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the best knitters I know is a guy at work who does really amazing colorwork. He hasn't used a commercial pattern in years and creates his own designs. He also happens to be an engineer designing memory chips.

The woman who taught me to knit was the Technical Assistant to the VP of IT.

And I am an IT Apps & Systems Performance Analyst with degrees in Business and Information Science, but yearn to be a photojournalist.

~~ Lynette ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
works in progress - http://agatheringofwool.blogspot.com
finished goods - http://agatheringofwoolknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  2:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message  Reply with Quote
20 techies vs 10 non techies....

There is a trend.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  04:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a Bio-Med Tech. I've worked on life support equipment for 22 years. Do, most likely, to the fact that I never made a good living as a musician.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  1:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a musician, and homeschooling mom. I love computers, science, and technology, but I also like creating things (I'm a knitter - go figure). I'm also a former cosmetologist.

So I'm schizoid as usual - techie and non-techie.

This is a very cool thread...

-Wendy
... __ ____ ____
, o`,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)( | | | | | | | || |l
,.- ,.-~~-., `-. :

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

-Joshua 24:15b
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  1:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message  Reply with Quote
21 techies vs. 11 non techies...
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  3:06:04 PM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The two guys who own my LYS are both knitters. Once is a choir master/composer, the other assists small business with gov't contracts. I, a female, am an alumni director for a school, but my training is in logic - M.A. Philosophy. (daughter of a mechanical engineer!)

I agree, could be a very interesting poll.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  4:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang......

21 techies and 14 non-techies.....

catching up
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth