Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Explain your answers!
 Our composite knitter...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  09:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you've read my statistically questionable but entertaining personification of your poll answers from the last four years... Whaddaya think? (You can read it here.)

I definitely did not mean for this to be one of those "if you aren't like this, then you aren't a real knitter" pieces -- and in several cases, I found my own answers differing strongly from the norm.

But it was an intriguing exercise.

In all cases, I tried to pick polls that had at least 1200 replies, and I picked those in which there was a clear majority indicating a specific preference. Also remember that most polls have many answers to choose from, so although 40% doesn't seem like a majority, if we're talking about six answers and 40% of the people chose one over the others, it does make it a majority answer.

The hard part was limiting this, since we have over 220 polls in our archives.

I'd also love to know what things you would have liked to see in the profile -- that is, what questions should I ask next in the polls?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  10:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh! I am so typical! Who would have thought?

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  10:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the article - really showed what a diverse group knitters are (as if any of us forget!!!)

Is there a poll about people following patterns vs altering patterns? I'm an alterer (?) - I have done exactly one pattern as written - only because it's a commissioned project - and I'm not enjoying it at all... I design probably 95% of what I knit, using composites of dozens of other patterns that I like, or just plain winging it. And I don't think I'm that extraordinary (okay, a little extraordinary... ) But I'm amazed when folks gasp in shock that I do that.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  10:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup! Here 'tis.

And you are extraordinary.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

Crey
Seriously Hooked

827 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  10:54:24 AM  Show Profile Send Crey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara - loved the composite knitter! It was fun to read and since I am no way in the norm in any part of the life I lead, I had no expectations of being in the norm here!!! (and... I like it that way!) - Crey

"Water that is too pure has no fish." -Ts'ai Ken T'an
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  10:54:33 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, when I read your intro, I thought "This article is going to be 100 pages long!" You did a terrific job pulling out interesting poll questions and tying them together to write the article. Sort of like choosing the best yarn and knitting up a lovely garment! Kudos!

After being on KR for a couple years now, I've decided: I want to be Clara when I grow up. You're such an inspiration to me! Thanks so much for KR and for all you do for all of us.

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  11:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, Clara, you did a wonderful job creating EveryKnitter! It was really interesting to see where I fit in (or didn't).

quote:
After being on KR for a couple years now, I've decided: I want to be Clara when I grow up. You're such an inspiration to me! Thanks so much for KR and for all you do for all of us.

I second that, Chris!

Jane
jcc28

"Books are where things are explained to you, life is where things aren't and I'm not surprised that some people prefer books." Julian Barnes

My album: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  12:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aww shucks... But does this mean I have to grow up too?

Clara
Go to Top of Page

nara
Warming Up

55 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  12:07:44 PM  Show Profile Send nara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adding my thanks for the composite info - doesn't surprise me a bit that the polls were full of self-contradiction: I twisted myself into a weavers' knot over Martha's poncho; simultaneously horrified - and delighted enough to read every last entry!
Nara
(New at this - this is my first posting...whew)
Go to Top of Page

gisela
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  12:26:59 PM  Show Profile Send gisela a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara

That was so much fun to read and I loved all of the links (like the article about knitting slumps). I could see myself in a lot of those stats and I really really laughed in a couple of the descriptions.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share these treasures with us.

Gisela
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  12:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, very fun to read ... but sometimes, like this week, I can't answer the poll because none of the answers fit me. This week we needed an option that yarn weight/gauge is not a big issue in choosing what to knit. I am currently have on my needles a baby blanket using two strands of worsted weight on US 15, a slipper in bulky yarn on US 9, a summer top using bamboo yarn on US 8 for lower edge and probably 6 for upper part, and getting ready to start cotton socks on US 2.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  12:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Gisela! And welcome aboard, Nara - great job on your first post! It really is true about the self-contradictions...

Clara
Go to Top of Page

maganna
Chatty Knitter

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  12:54:44 PM  Show Profile Send maganna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved it. Lotsa fun to read and very well written. It must have taken you days to get all those facts and numbers together!! Thanks so much!

Jennifer S.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  12:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, my question is: where is that lovely oasis of a yarn shop in the photograph?

http://crazylaneas.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

paper tiger
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  1:02:52 PM  Show Profile Send paper tiger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It made me say, "Now that I know who WE are... Who is Clara? ;-)"

And the photos with this article are even more beautiful than usual. WHoever takes them has a stunning eye. (That sounds a little scary... a stunning eye! Like a death ray! But you know what I mean, right?)
Go to Top of Page

KnitSSK
Seriously Hooked

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  1:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSSK's Homepage Send KnitSSK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
now that i am so severely addicted to the forum, i was surprised that there weren't more of me - those who check the forum at least once per hour...at least I do at work - oops!

Martha

Wanting to be knitting, not working...
Go to Top of Page

clypowy@lawrenceville.org

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  1:49:13 PM  Show Profile Send clypowy@lawrenceville.org a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That lovely oasis of yarn can be found at The Woolly Lamb in Pennington, NJ! I work at the shop on Saturdays and it is a wonderful place full of wonderful yarn. We recently expanded up to the second floor so there is even more yarn to lust over. If you live in the area or are visiting the area please stop by and see us.
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  2:43:30 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, I'm almost 52...and I'm not grown up yet! I think you've got a loooong way to go before you get there!

Welcome, Nara! What a beautiful name!

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

mhyarn
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  2:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit mhyarn's Homepage Send mhyarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara,
The 'composite knitter' review is one to be saved and shared. Thank you for all your efforts.

I feel guilty because I don't often take time to go to the poll questions, either a yarn to restock or sheep to feed. I would NEVER miss reading a review though and will try to participate in the polls from now on.
Barbara Marr

Barb from Marr Haven Wool Farm
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  3:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gack - that's me - front and center (er, and behind Annie, and with a bunch of other folks...) in your photo! I'm SO proud!

Great job, luvbug!

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

claudiam
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  3:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit claudiam's Homepage Send claudiam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara I thought the composite knitter was great, but I would like to know the average age, and the favorite type of project. It would be interesting to me to know how many people love scarves, home knitting, sweaters, baby clothes I am one of the bamboo people, who first knit a scarf, loves to teach knitting, eats chocolate, while drinking a white chocolate mocha. I don't eat the chocolate by knitting. I don't know anything about cats, I love my local yarn shop. Clara, I need to look in the archives but where do people knit mostly? Home, park, friend's house. etc. See I really loved that poll

Claudiam
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.