Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 West Coast Retreat?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 7

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  10:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be really nice if us west coasters could get a retreat put together closer to home for us. I would have love to have attended the retreat that was scheduled but the flight is sooo long not to mention costs a fortune. Would anyone be intereted in having two retreats so more of us could get together?

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

A turtle doesn't get anywhere without sticking her neck out.

F1FAN
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  11:32:11 AM  Show Profile Send F1FAN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, absolutely.

Any chance of Knitters Review sponsoring one for the west coast?
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  11:52:52 AM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's Stitches West 2005
February 10, 2005 in Santa Clara, CA

Request a brochure:
http://www.knittinguniverse.com/flash/events/brochure.php

I'm certain I saw an ad in Interweave Knits and/or Vogue Magazine. I'd be interested and would LOVE to participate in a KR sponsored knitterly happening on the West Coast

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  12:09:37 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Add me to the list. Wish there was one closer than CA.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  12:11:22 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a Guild sponsored Fiber Fest happening Seattle mid to late October. I picked up post card brochures for all us and will distribute tomorrow

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  1:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Food for thought - I'll definitely consider this! We've had several people from California last year, and again this year. We've even had people drive from as far away as Texas and Wisconsin and all sorts of places (not to mention my flying down to Virginia from Maine), but I can understand how having a retreat on the West Coast would be very appealing as well.

A while back we had a pretty lengthy forum discussion on this topic, but things began to break down because we couldn't reach an agreement about where it should be. Folks in the Pacific Northwest kept suggesting the Pacific Northwest, folks in California kept suggesting California, and we were at the point of my needing to make one of those painful executive decisions that would make several people unhappy.

Quite frankly, I simply didn't have the time to devote to it that year, so I let it go. Things weren't going in a happy direction, and retreats, as I'm sure you can imagine, require one heck of a lot of work to pull off properly.

Perhaps it's time to reopen the dialog.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  1:31:39 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a compromise and go for the Oregon Coast. Off season there should be a good price for lodging, etc.
Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  2:27:48 PM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm all for a West Coast Retreat. I'm in California, but I would be willing to go to Washington/Oregon for a long weekend of knitting.

Jeannine

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/my_photos

Destashing - For Sale:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/album?.dir=/cb32
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  2:32:15 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong I *love* the coast, but alternative retreat locations can be Arizona or New Mexico. Fares and lodging are reasonable too.

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

SoCalLadyR
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  2:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Send SoCalLadyR a Yahoo! Message Send SoCalLadyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Think that a mid-way, wine country retreat would be wonderful. Does that work?????
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  3:00:07 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, yes and YES!

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  3:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd gladly go anywhere in the west coast states or southwest for sure. It just seems that since the retreat was on the east coast last year AND this year.. it would be nice to see something a little closer to the other half of us at least once. There are definitely lots of us on this side of the country too!

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

A turtle doesn't get anywhere without sticking her neck out.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  4:17:01 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Count me in for a west/southwest gathering!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

F1FAN
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  4:18:31 PM  Show Profile Send F1FAN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We do have so many locations here in the west that would be suitable. Even Vegas would do - or is it not a good idea to mix gambling with knitting.
Anyway, Clara, I support you all the way. Give us try.
Teri
Go to Top of Page

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  10:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I would make this topic active again as I think this would be really fun.

I think we should think of a place that is close to a major airport so that people can get lower airfares and then make the drive say within an hour. It would need to be a place that offered meals so we wouldn't have to leave too.

I remember this discussion last year and it did break down but I think we could make it work. Everyone just has to keep in mind that it is not going to always be in your backyard. But if we picked a larger airport the fares are usually lower. Say something in Lake Tahoe because fares to Reno are usually low($150-$200RT from alot of SW & NW locations) and it is about an hour drive. We also could do it in the spring so as not to conflict with the other one and maybe we could get those people to come out here for this one.

Just some rambling thoughts on a idea I would like to see come together.

Cayli in San Diego

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  10:39:40 AM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the major airport idea. But, at the same time the idea of something in AZ or NM sounds fun, while Taos already has a wool festival maybe Santa Fe? Still, Lake Tahoe, Seattle, Portland, Denver and even Vegas sound good to me.
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  11:09:09 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The retreat isn't in Virginia because Clara knew about Graves Mountain Lodge. It's in Virginia because forum participants picked up the yarn ball and did the initial legwork with Clara's support. Graves Mountain isn't particularly close to an airport - the middle of nowhere is a description that some people would apply to it. The best things about Graves Mountain (besides the scenery and food) are no cell phone and TV reception. In other words, no distractions! It is really pleasant and relaxing to be in a place where no one's cell phone rings.

So the challenge is for you west coasters to start organizing it yourselves. If you try to find a place that you all agree on, there will never be a west coast retreat.

Mary Lou
Go to Top of Page

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  11:21:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This place looks nice. www.featherriverinn.com It is about a hour from Reno(not towards Tahoe) and if you go in the off conference time April 15-May 30 you can get the package deal for $88 double - $98 single includes Breakfast, lunch and dinner plus meeting room ect. They have also already had a knitting retreat there and it looked great. Pictures here http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/events.asp

It would be an affordable option I think. Probably under $500 for the weekend with airfare even with teaching/class costs. Not bad if you ask me and tons of fun.

Cayli in San Diego

Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  12:04:19 PM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that if the West Coasters want a retreat, we'll have to start doing preliminary organizing on our own. I guess the first step would be to find out how many people would be seriously interested in a West Coast Retreat. Then, it probably needs to be decided what type of retreat is everyone interested in. I am interested. I would love it to be a quiet weekend with no cell phones, televisions, etc. It would be nice if we could have a yarn store nearby or vendors that are willing to come and display their wares and maybe some instructors to teach classes.

Jeannine

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/my_photos

Destashing - For Sale:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/album?.dir=/cb32
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  2:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing to do is take a look at the write-up of this year's retreat (which I'll be publishing momentarily) and let me know if that kind of program appeals to you. I'm also making this the featured forum thread in this week's newsletter so we can get more people's input.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  2:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for making this the featured thread. I would love to see this actually happen. Also I can not wait to read your review.

Cayli in San Diego

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?