Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 what's your line of work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

stubbornkelly
Chatty Knitter

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  7:52:17 PM  Show Profile Send stubbornkelly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm now the manager of a erotic boutique in Northern Virginia. I was part time for about 9 months before I moved into this position (and quit my office job). I looove my job now! I don't know why I didn't try retail years ago!
Go to Top of Page

MaryS
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  11:54:09 AM  Show Profile Send MaryS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an Emergency Physician, 25 years into my career. Knit to keep sane while caring for an aging parent, raising 2 teens, and trying to ward off dementia. I try to learn something "new" every birthday that ends in "0" or "5". At 40, piano lessons. At 45, weight training and road biking.Knitting became my age 50 skill. It is empowering every time I successfully tackle a new pattern. I also sell felted purses on the side to support my yarn habit. Had to laugh as I overheard the 20-something girl snapping my son's senior pictures remark (as I sat in the waiting room knitting,)"Oh, your mom's knitting! How cute! Nobody does that anymore!" If only she knew!

luv2knit
Go to Top of Page

eclair
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  07:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit eclair's Homepage Send eclair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm Managing Director of my own computer company, have a Master's degree in Computer Science plus BA(Hons) in Literature and Computing. I also have 3 kids (2 of them under 3 years old). Oddly enough, I too was under the delusion that programming was like knitting and spent many, many hours during lectures drawing similarities between the two instead of concentraing on the C++ stuff. This was probably because coding was phenomenally boring. Now I leave all the technical stuff to the staff and take care of the customer side of things. I'm better with people - and have a strange ability to blow up or corrupt electrical appliances/ computers just by standing near them.

Chocolate biscuits also disappear when I am close by. Do you think it is magnetic?

Eclair
Go to Top of Page

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  11:25:12 AM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me? I'm a domestic goddess. muhahahahha....(FF falls over laughing as she begins to roll in her own drool)

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

erica_hickey
Warming Up

76 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  12:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit erica_hickey's Homepage Send erica_hickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet another librarian here, though unemployed at the moment. I earned my MLIS last year, worked in a public library for a year, moved from PA to CO this past month with my SO. As for the stereotype -- I do wear my hair in a bun some days, I wear glasses (though sometimes I wear contacts), I have 2 cats, I've been dating the same guy for 6 years, I knit, I'm 27, a member of the ACLU, and listen to NPR. Outside of working in libraries, in the past I have also worked as a computer lab help desk person, waitress, cashier, sales person, admin asst, receptionist, and paper girl.
Go to Top of Page

Wahine
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  3:03:06 PM  Show Profile Send Wahine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a wife, mother to two (ages 15 and 6) and I get paid real money as a buyer for an electronics company. I've been knitting off and on for over 20 years. I also crochet, cross stitch, needlepoint and do some fancy embroidery. Knitting is my favorite though. I don't strain my eyes as much.

-Susan
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  05:16:31 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just retired from 20 years as a k-12 ESL teacher and immediately jumped into a part-time teacher training gig. I tried to introduce knitting in staff meetings but couldn't persuade some of my principals that I was actually paying attention. So I stopped knitting in meetings, my eyes glazed over -- and now, yay! I can knit when I feel like it.
Go to Top of Page

needlesandpinza
Chatty Knitter

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit needlesandpinza's Homepage  Send needlesandpinza a Yahoo! Message Send needlesandpinza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which job? lol
outside the house I am a beautician; which parallels knit/crochet by: unique creativity, trying to figure out a design just from a picture, knowing what to change if trial A does not workout, detail orientated (well ok except my spelling), following patterns, knowing not everything will work for everyone. hehe ok just the top i can think of more.
At home: MOM....need i say more. my break from insanity. plus the kids love getting stuff.

Lindsay
http://needlesandpinza.onheavenandearth.com/index.html
Go to Top of Page

sheepish
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  9:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit sheepish's Homepage Send sheepish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I just read through 9 pages of posts!

Vi...I play with toys, does that count? Rufus says he'd like some toys, will you send him a toy? He loves toys! Of course, sometimes he leaves them outside...but eventually they come back in.

I'm a soapmaker. I teach soap and toiletries classes for a large supply company that opened a retail shop here a couple years ago. Recently I began working there about 30 hours a week. It's pretty darn fun! We're going to add a little corner of yarns (mine are already there) and have a knitting night for folks.

Aside from that, I dabble in photography, and of course raise sheep (because I need their milk for my soap.)

Oh! Did you know there was a study that found sheep milk may prevent alzheimers? How cool is that? Drink sheep milk, everyone!

I milk sheep, do ewe?

Buy the new EWE WISH calendar! http://buckinglambpalace.bravehost.com/ewewish.html
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  12:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a high school Spanish teacher. I've also taught ESL in Korea.

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  12:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tracey send dolly
tell rufus he owes me 250.00 as that is what one of my toys costs......
and tell the girl child I still haven't forgiven her for selling off my gray pony....
however NOW I have PRINCESS........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/truly~violet/princess2.jpg
hahahahaha

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LesleyKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  3:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit LesleyKnits's Homepage Send LesleyKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a SAHM of a 3-year-old and a 13-month-old.

Before this I worked at a pharmaceuticals company in research and development. I've always been more scientific than creative so I'm thrilled to discover how much fun knitting is!
Go to Top of Page

Overthere
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  7:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Overthere's Homepage Send Overthere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has been my favorite thread! For a minute I slip on your shoes/handknit socks/felted clogs and imagine myself an author, a CPA, toy maker, engineer that knits!

I got my Bachelor's in Textile and Design then went to work for Crystal Palace Yarns on San Pablo in Berkeley. I worked the store during the last knitting craze in the 80's, and the line would stretch all the way from the door at one end of that cavernous place to the counter. We ALL knit during lunch and breaks. Celia Quinn would come up from Santa Cruz to make those wonderous 'Mystery Batts' on Jaws, and was knitting the first spider web circular shawl I had ever seen with the finest handspun wool that looked less than thread to me. I thought she was nuts! She pulled it from a paper grocery bag during breaks to work on, until one day she had dropped it crossing the road on the way to work. Thankfully a man behind her pointed it out, and she found a more suitable bag after that scare! Andy was King of the 'new' computers upstairs in wholesale, nursing them through back-ups that would take all night. Susan Druding was the dynamo downstairs who knew/knows EVERYTHING there is about everything she carried in her business. Alden Amos would drop in once in a while in his signature overalls, gruff and a genius with the wheel. I took one of his classes that was held at the store where he literally could not demonstrate a 'bad' join...upstairs there were bales of wools, poking out of the international shipping boxes they arrived in. Shelves up to the top filled with cones, bags, and fiber and boxes of patterns and sample cards which were stored under some 6 or 7 long digit number that identified them. On the back wall were ice cream barrels, like they scoop out of at Baskin Robbin, but on their sides, and filled with silk bricks, bagged slivers and tops. It got to a point where I could jam my hand in the center of a bump and pull out a pounds worth, + or - an ounce.
I remember when Susan got excited about a small brown envelope that came from overseas. It had compressed squares of multi colored fibers. She pulled at one, plopped down on a wheel, and produced a single of next season's color of Silk Tweed from it. Cool!

Since those years, I've had kids, homeschooled my oldest for his first year,then became an elementary teacher myself at a neighborhood school where I still teach a multi-age class. Yes, I knit during meetings, inservices, recess, and during class. Hey, if our one-person-below-the Super can knit socks during meetings, so can we! I teach my students to knit. And weave. It helps small motor skill, and keeps those active kids something to do, AND produce something tangible and satisfying. Their first squares (20 stitches) I sew into a toy stuffed bunny. I also find it helps those fidgety kids focus when they watch my hands knit when I gather them on the rug to go over the day.
I knit socks at work. I knit more complicated things at home. I'm sort of planning on knitting lace stoles to sell at a local boutique, to support my habit when I retire many years from now. Or at least that's what I say to justify buying all those wonderful yarns and fibers out there. Right now, I'm working on reversible cabled scarves out of my handspun for my nephews for Christmas.

Well, I've certainly taken up my space on this thread! Next?

Diana in Davis, CA

This, then that.
Yarn is good.
Go to Top of Page

comfybev
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  9:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit comfybev's Homepage  Send comfybev a Yahoo! Message Send comfybev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a grad student at a large U. in NYC and I study religion. On the first page one person posted to say that they knit because it gets done and stays done. I feel the same way. I always feel one step behind in my work, there is always more to read, but knitting seems to work on my schedule and when I finish a project it stays finished. That's really important in a discipline like mine where everything eventually ends up on the "meta" level. Knitting is tangible and gets me out of my head.

Take care, Bev
http://bwdiaz.blogs.com/comfybev/
OTN: KR Gift Exchange project for Andrea "mtnknitter", Elizabeth I "Dainty Bess" lace scarf, "Go With the Flow" socks, "Classy Slip-Up" socks
2005 FO Count: 7
Go to Top of Page

fxd02
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  9:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit fxd02's Homepage Send fxd02 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've skimmed through the first 6 pages of this topic, and so far I'm the only Police Dispatcher. Going on 2 years. And I've been knitting for the last year. I've been taking my knitting projects to work with me for the last few months and I can actually get quite a bit accomplished between phone calls and radio traffic. All the officers that come in ask "so what are you building now?" Usually just a dish cloth or a simple hat. But I have started my first socks, too. As far as previous jobs...Signal Corps Sergeant in the US Army, dairy cow milker, veal calf feeder, bartender, paper jogger, window maker, and convenience store clerk part time for a little while after the Army.

Soon, hopefully I'll be going to school to pursue either Pharmacy Tech or Xray Tech. Haven't decided yet.

-Beautify America, get a tattoo.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  04:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
don't feel bad fxd02, i'm the only toy maker
sniff
vi
~alone in my toymaking......

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

samsgrams
Chatty Knitter

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  3:08:15 PM  Show Profile Send samsgrams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a lawyer, specializing in family law, so I deal with divorce, custody, child support, etc. It can be - and usually is - very stressful so I rely on knitting to keep me sane and relaxed. I have a patient spouse, two daughters and two grandsons - one of whom is named Sam, hence I am Samsgrams!

samsgrams
Go to Top of Page

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  3:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an Architect by training. Soon the time that I spend weaving, spinning & knitting will catch up with the 7 years I spent in college & grad school.

:)
http://yarnahoy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  5:43:16 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm alone out there in my experience. Retired from corporate retail as a Fashion Director and trend forecaster for a major, national retail corporation. No, this is not putting on fashion shows. I was one of the people who would decide what you would be buying 2-3 years hence. Mega Stress! You had better be sure the damn thing will sell in 3 years after convincing the powers that be to invest thousands and thousands in production.
After retirement from the rat race, I opened my ownknitting store with a partner. Much better now.
Also taught 4th graders for 5 years in Illinois in my past life.
I'm somewhat humbled here by the proliferation of Techy's here as I am complete idiot when it comes to that!. KL
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  8:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been in IT for 12 ...well closer to 13 years now...I've done everything from building machines from ground up...to desktop support ...to networking ...to Software Development...to Database Management.

I currently work for a software development company...I project manage the implementation.....travel around the country..and install and train users....and write "requirements" for the development team. I also do the occasional Trade Show...In fact I'm at one right now in San Diego. I LOVE my job.

~Wendy

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

My blog and other such nonsense... 2 Wet Fins
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.