Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 what's your line of work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  01:14:03 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a retired military veteran--10 years Navy, 2 years U.S. Coast Guard, at the same time, the wife of a U.S. Army officer who has retired and is now a Police Officer. I only mention my husband's careers because, as any military/police officer's wife knows, their careers become your careers too! Like it or not. Fortunately, I do like it.
Go to Top of Page

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  06:40:27 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I currently am a housewife. I was a SAHM for many years. At the age of 50 I decided to do something for myself and went to college. My accomplishment was completing 4 yrs. in 3 and graduating cum laud. I loved school, learning and interacting with the new adults. I worked for a few years as a manger of a Michaels, but their idea of management became more of a dictatorship (which is not my style). They also require managers to do heavy lifting, unload semi's, put together all displays, etc. I then went to work in an office, but again, it was not what I went to school for. So, when we moved closer to my DH's work, I quit and just haven't found a new position as yet. I am very busy knitting, and enjoying my new home. I find noone wants to hire a person over 50 with little experience and pay them a decent salary.

Homebody Knits

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

http://www.picturetrail.com/knitsbykathy
Go to Top of Page

VTyarngirl
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  07:50:19 AM  Show Profile Send VTyarngirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Books and knitting seem to go well together, judging by the number of writers and librarians here! I, myself, am a bookseller at a wonderful independent bookstore in northeastern Vermont.
It's so great to read about all of your "other" lives - we really are an ecclectic bunch!
Go to Top of Page

mimi1054
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  12:32:17 PM  Show Profile Send mimi1054 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonnetstitches

I'm a copy editor at a newspaper. I always hate telling people online what I do for a living, because then they scour my posts for typos. :S

[url=http://sonnetstitches.blogspot.com//]SonnetStitches.blogspot.com[/url]

I have a journalism degree, and I worked on the copy desk at the paper while I was in school. It turned me into an even bigger stickler for correct spelling, grammar, word usage, etc. than I was previously (and I was pretty bad about it to start!). My son has given me grief about this for years, but, now that he's 18, he points out the same types of things to me (misspelled signs (!!! HOW does that happen???)), people using the word "unique" with modifiers (very unique), etc. It's too funny!
Go to Top of Page

Hadjee
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  05:46:31 AM  Show Profile Send Hadjee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VTyarngirl

Books and knitting seem to go well together, judging by the number of writers and librarians here!

Oh,I do love books! I am an ex-RN (mental health for 4 years and maternal-child health visiting nurse for four more) I learned quite a bit from this career; but it really didn't suit me.

I was a stay-at-home and homeschooling mom for many years. When my daughter, and only child, went off to college, in England no less; it seemed as if I had lost not only my child, but my work as well.
At the time I thought, "Well, I may eventually find a job, maybe even a new career; but nothing I do will ever be as worthwhile or as much fun."

Now, four and one half years later,(a decent time of mourning,)I find myself as a "part-time, unpaid professional" religious education director in my local church. I co-ordinate the Sunday School and teach the Juniors (5th-8th grade); lead an adult study group; and have recently started a Prayer Shawl Ministry Group.
I am very much interested in exploring the interplay of knitting and spirituality.
Go to Top of Page

knitting sock monkey
Chatty Knitter

218 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  12:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitting sock monkey's Homepage Send knitting sock monkey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a first year law student, in class right now. I can't knit during class so this is the next best thing!

http://felicitydesigns.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kenjknits
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:27:13 AM  Show Profile Send kenjknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I educate our 6 children at home. Yes they're all ours, yes we do know what causes it , and yes we do hope to have more! No, we're not Mormon or Catholic . Can you tell I'm used to questions? LOL

I knit while listening to children read, I knit while reading aloud to them, I knit when I put my feet up at the end of the day.

-kendra
Go to Top of Page

Hadjee
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  05:41:47 AM  Show Profile Send Hadjee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kenjknits

I educate our 6 children at home.

-kendra

Hi! ...before I was a religious educator; I was a homeschooling mom.
I have an only child, a daughter. In many ways homeschooling one is much easier than six; but perhaps in some ways it is harder. She constantly (it seemed) wanted my attention, and I put some effort into providing social contacts. After she got involved with playing the cello, that became much easier:quartets, youth orchestra, etc..

All the questions that I once had to answer: how will you teach science and languages?... what about college?... what about socialization?...aren't you making her too dependent on you?....
suddenly became moot when at the age of 18 she took a bus alone to Boston, then flew alone to London on her way to Oxford University.
She is still there four and a half years later, studying for her D.Phil degree in modern history. Her topic: Home Education in the Victorian Period!

Go to Top of Page

kenjknits
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  09:22:26 AM  Show Profile Send kenjknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hadjee-

I love to hear what home educated students are doing in the world. You daughter is doing what I would loved to have done-- my BA is in music (voice/opera) and I had wanted to study in London, too. But I met my husband while at the same university and I just thought I'd miss him too much! So I married him between my junior and senior years instead. So glad I did! It's been a terrific 14 years.

Anyway...is there any chance I could get a copy of your daughter's dissertation when she's finished it? I would love to read it!

Thanks-
kendra
Go to Top of Page

Lis S
Chatty Knitter

219 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  12:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lis S's Homepage  Send Lis S a Yahoo! Message Send Lis S a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a teacher. I teach 8/9 grade English in Western Pennsylvania. I've only been knitting regularly for a little over a year, and while I'm not very good, I do enjoy it so much! It relaxes me and I feel that I've accomplished something each time I do just a few stitches. I've done crochet since I was around 5 or 6 years old (my grandmother taught me) and I've enjoyed that, but it got very tedious for some reason. I still love to crochet, but I'm really loving the knitting more right now.

My career has influenced my knitting in a strange way. A couple years ago, my students had to do a project on Colonial America, and two male students ended up drawing "knitting" from a hat. So, they had to learn the basic knitting stitches and present it to the class for a grade. (It was a cross-curricular project, for those of you who are wondering where knitting fits into English.) Anyway, they kind of got me interested, and now I'm hooked. Students often teach teachers, too!

A

http://lisknits.typepad.com/the_world_of_lis/
Go to Top of Page

glenda s
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  6:07:43 PM  Show Profile Send glenda s a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another CPA here. For the past 3 yrs have been a reading tutor for DOE here in Hawaii.
Aloha,
Glenda
Go to Top of Page

Hadjee
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  05:32:34 AM  Show Profile Send Hadjee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kenjknits

Hadjee-

I love to hear what home educated students are doing in the world.

Anyway...is there any chance I could get a copy of your daughter's dissertation when she's finished it? I would love to read it!

Thanks-
kendra

Kendra: Yes, her tutor is advising her to publish it. However, you may have to wait 2 or 3 years. Thank you for your interest.
Go to Top of Page

mindyknits
New Pal

31 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  08:35:46 AM  Show Profile Send mindyknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am the Executive Director of a Community Education Council, providing post-secondary education and workforce development opportunties to an educationally disadvantaged (read: rural) county in Western Pennsylvania.

I knit in meetings (when I can get away with it!) and every other opportunity I can find (while waiting, while watching TV, etc.)

"She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands" Proverbs 31:13.
Go to Top of Page

Capucine45
Warming Up

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  11:14:36 PM  Show Profile Send Capucine45 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work in development (i.e. fundraising) for a major symphony orchestra. Mostly I work in the 'back-end' of the field, processing money as it comes in, developing and maintaining systems throughout the office, assisting the gift officers with our software programs, etc. and I wish I had more face-to-face contact with people -- I don't think I'm meant to sit behind a computer for the majority of the day. But it is a really interesting field that I generally enjoy, I work with great people, and I don't plan to be in it forever, either.

As for what I actually want to do -- I just graduated from college this past year with a degree in English and have a passion for interior design, so my goal is to go back for my masters (or possibly higher) in Decorative Arts. Really, what I'd love to do is administer a historic site, like one of those gorgeous old houses that belonged to someone important and have now been turned into museums. With any luck, this will combine all of my interests -- the businessy side with my development background, the creative side with the focus on design. Most of the programs that offer what I'm interested in seem to be in the UK, which is great because I spent a year there when I was in college and want to go back SO MUCH! However, this won't be for a couple of years, after I've gotten some practical work experience, saved up some money, and given the dollar some time to (hopefully) rebound. For now, I'm just taking one interior design or art history class per semester, at night, to keep my hand in and build up my knowledge of those areas. A girl can always dream!

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

amycrea@mn.rr.com
New Pal

35 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  04:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit amycrea@mn.rr.com's Homepage Send amycrea@mn.rr.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a freelance writer, doing mostly corporate and trade publication writer, and a novelist wannabe. I work from home so I can manage a crazy household with two wild boys ages 9 and 12 and two dogs. One of whom is licking my foot right now.
Go to Top of Page

latoyadenise@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 04/07/2005 :  10:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit latoyadenise@yahoo.com's Homepage  Send latoyadenise@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send latoyadenise@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My passion (other than knitting socks) is public relations. At this time I've chosen to be at home with my 4 month old and use my skills in my job that allows me to be at home as a Consultant for Natural Family Boutique. Its a Boutique promoting breastfeeding, attachment parenting, and everything in between.

I invite everyone to check out the website at:
www.naturalfamilyboutique.com/?Latoya

Knitting socks today,
Latoya
Parenting, naturally...
www.naturalfamilyboutique.com/?Latoya
Go to Top of Page

gr8tful
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  2:41:36 PM  Show Profile Send gr8tful a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am an office manager in an orthodontic office. I also help take care of my 9 month old grandson while my daughter finishes college. I have been married for 29 years to my best friend. Was blessed to be able to stay at home while my children were growing up. Went back to work when my youngest was in high school. He's in his first year of college now.

I knit in the evenings after grandson Sam has gone to bed, and before I fall asleep, which some nights isn't very long!!! My Nana taught me how to knit 40 years ago.

Patti from the Prairie
Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  9:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I'm a small animal relief veterinarian -- I fill in at places when the other vets are on vacation, at a conference, etc. Keeps life interesting, going from place to place, and I set my own schedule, which is incredibly awesome.

I was a Military Intel officer (Army) before vet school. First Gulf war.

Steph

http://sunsetcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.west-point.org/users/usma1989/46806/
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1craftymom4Gracie
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  2:46:50 PM  Show Profile Send 1craftymom4Gracie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a mom first and for most and then I am an Assistant General Manager at Marriott in Salem, Oregon. I am a full time college student and part time knitter. I wish the last statement could be reversed but I have made myself a deal that once I graduate from college I can go on a yarn binder until then I keep my stash small......

Theresa

Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple.
Charles Mingus
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  5:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow what a diverse group! We should create a database or something with our jobs/specialities and general locations! That way if one of us is looking for help in an area we can ask a KR pal first! Think what an amazing resource we'd have!

As for me, I have a BA in English Literature (collecting dust on the wall) and I was working as an Administrative Assistant until last year.

Now I have my own business, Inspirations Yarn, where I'm the Designer, Dyer, Bookkeeper, Tech support, Webpage Designer, Mail Room Assistant and pretty much everything else.

I'm also about to become a WAHM (in 11 more weeks!) Between the business and the baby my life has been about as creative as it gets for the past few months!

Knitting, spinning, dyeing and all things fiber had become an obession for me to such a point that DH was actually the one who suggested I start the business last year. He figured if I was going to eat, sleep and breath fiber arts I might as well try to make a living at it! I'm hoping to get the business going well enough to allow me to continue to stay home with the baby rather than winding up with another AA job down the road.

My current knitting focus as been on making baby things for our new little one and learning the "Magic Loop" technique by knitting a pair of socks ( 1 1/2 done).

Martheme

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com & http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth